Print Thread
Rate Thread
#361861 Nov 23rd, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hi I thought I might share some of my learning how to do quilts. I just finished one this year. It uses a 3D technique for making Hydrangas.

It is 36 by 36 inch wall hanging.

The new photobucket seems to be stuck. Anyone else have troubles with the new photobucket?

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
I HATE IT !!
Try getting it to work by closing it out & going back in, sometimes it will work for me if I do that. Sometimes I find I have been logged out & just logging in helps. Good Luck.
personally I think this is their way to get you to "Go Pro" so as to pay for the service. Not gonna happen here though.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
It says there was an io error on one of the pictures. I hate the idea of loosing all the time that I've already spent but I think your right it is my only choice. I hate the idea of having to learn another free sites way of doing all of this. I guess I'm getting old. It isn't a challenge anymore it's just a pain.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
here we go, they have changed things so I have no idea what I'm going to get.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
That was weird. Well I guess I'll do the explanation down here lol.

The hydranga florets are two pieces of blue fabric glued together with the double back interfacing. Then cut out. It was a time consuming project because I decided to do a double ball rather than a single. I cut out over 40 of those finicky things. The base is one of the floret colors that is then stuffed and sewn closed. The quilting was a very simple trellis pattern that I marked out with painters tape. Never run over the painters tape with the sewing machine. I still have little pieces of tape stuck underneath the sewing. Anyway I finished it off by making a sleeve on the back and putting a rod through it to hang it. It hangs alittle bit off but it's close enough for me. Now I use it to hang my necklaces because I hate having them get tangled up in the jewlery box.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Here is a quilt that I did earlier. It ended up as a Christmas Present.

It is a sampler where I practiced a number of different techniques.

[Linked Image]
Paperpiecing makes matching corners easier. This is called a 4 Diamond block.

[Linked Image]
This was paperpieced also but much harder. It is called a Birds in flight block.

[Linked Image]
This was one of the simplest blocks called a cobblestone block.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Here are some more of the blocks for this quilt.

[Linked Image]
This is the charm block.

[Linked Image]
This is the Bowtie Block. I took a class to learn this one. I don't think I could reproduce it even though I took good notes.

[Linked Image]
This was such a pain to sew down once it was stuffed. But it sure makes for a warm quilt. I love the ones that are really fluffy.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
And more of the blocks.

[Linked Image]
This the butterfly block.
[Linked Image]
The same block again in progress.

[Linked Image]
And another picture of the same block.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Actually if you reverse the order of the pictures you'll see I'm getting better with the camera. Those early photos are really bad. I had no idea I shook that much.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
[Linked Image]
I had to laugh when the Drunkards Path came out crooked.

[Linked Image]
This one is my favorite and I put it at the center of the quilt. It almost looks like stained glass to me. Although I used a different applique technique.

So those are all the blocks I think. Now I just have to try and upload the picture of it completed. It's not very good. I couldn't find anyplace to lay it out flat.

[Linked Image]
And here is the entire thing with borders and all. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

I look forward to seeing your quilts in process or finished.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by tkhooper

[Linked Image]
This was such a pain to sew down once it was stuffed. But it sure makes for a warm quilt. I love the ones that are really fluffy.

somewhere I have a book that tells one how to make a puff quilt. if I ever find it, I will send you some directions if you like.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I love collection directions and patterns. Thanks for thinking of it. Have you done one?

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Nice work..I quilt also.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Do you have any pictures?

[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I goof with some.
Not a quilter at heart

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
It's a difficult craft compared to many I have tried. My heat isn't in it but my heating bill is. And comforters are so expensive I want something that expresses me for those kinds of dollars.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I did learn one special lesson with the sampler quilt. Never made a quilt that isn't in the color palete that you are using lol. This quilt clashed with everything in my house. I learned that just because you have a fat square in a given color set is no excuse for a quilt. They take to long and are to big.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I have pics on facebook but not in photobucket to share on here.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
That's to bad. I don't do facebook it scares me. I'm not sure why but I always follow those promptings.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Well the process begins with the need. For me it's decorating. I've never decorated a house before so this is all new. I've been working on the bedroom for quite sometime. I have the bedspread, shams, throw pillows, dresser, crystal lamps, jewlery holders and pretty much everything except window dressing.

I decided on window quilts because they help with heating and cooling costs and would look really nice. And it would keep the personal touch to the things I have in there. I had a couple of ideas but really couldn't get going on anything. Finally I saw one at Carol's quilt shop in town. I won't mention the name because I don't want to advertise. Anyway it is a 30x30 stained glass butterfly applique quilt and it will work wonderfully as the center panel in the window quilt which needs to be 34"x 34". I'll take up the extra It's so short because the air conditioner is in that window and I don't want to cover it up.

So the pattern is selected. Step one is done.

Step two is getting the money to buy the pattern $16.00, I have it budgeted for next month. You know I'm counting the days to payday right?

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I bought the pattern today. It's from Three Swans Studios, 2004 www.threeswans.com and it is called Butterfly TSS 2020 A stained glass applique pattern with a difference. I'm going to change the colors a bit but other than that and enlarging it by 2 1/2 inches all the way around I'll be following the pattern to the best of my ability.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Well last night I went to the quilt club and took my stained glass butterfly pattern. I got all the individual pieces numbered and color blocks yeah!

I also found out that the next step of outlining the pieces on to my freezer paper requires that I work with the pattern reversed so I need a light table to do it. Fortunately there is one at the shop where we meet. I just have to see if I can use it between meetings because I don't want to take up the rest of the month doing nothing but tracing paper pieces.

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
tk, I used to have a quilt hanging over my bedroom window. Of course, not being as smart as you, I didn't make the quilt, just added top tabs in matching material I bought. I then bought a dowel rod and ran it through the tabs and hung it up. I loved it.

Your comment "never run the sewing machine over the tape" made me laugh.

I love the blue in the hydrangea wall hanging. The blue hydrangeas are my favorite part of that one.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Im glad you like it.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Well today I got 1/4 of the quilt traced before my back gave out. I still hope that I'll be able to get it done before the next quilt club.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
It's been awhile since I posted in this thread. And Ive learned some things.

1. When coding template pieces number them 1 through however many. Then use letters for a color code. A for one fabric, B for another fabric but skip letters that look like other letters or numbers. For example if I use B i won't use 8. Guess how I figured that out.

2. When a pattern says to trace the pattern on the reverse this is only necessary if the quilt is asymetrical. i.e. my butterfly is centered on the quilt and is the same on the left as it is on the right. So I didn't need to trace if from the back. I could have traced it from the front which would have been easier.

3. If you do need to reverse it then putting the coding on the back so that it is easier to read when tracing.

4. Keep the templates for each fabric in their own little ziploc so that I don't cut it out of the wrong fabric.

I'm currently cutting out the 3rd quadrant of the quilt. I do have a reason for going slow at the moment. I'm out of money for fabric.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
5. Triple check that each piece is coded before you cut it out. Guess how I figured out that one?

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image