Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#361464 Nov 3rd, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Cats420 Offline OP
OP Offline
I brought a Yucca houseplant over summer!!! it was doing good!!! until i noticed that it starting leaning!!! i added a couple of wooded stakes for support...no i noticed some leaf yellowing and browning? did i hurt the plant by doing this and if so should i remove then?

thanks in advance for all your help!!!!

Cats

LET'S GET PLANT CRAZZZY!!!!
Cats420 #361468 Nov 4th, 2012 at 01:31 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I do not think that you harmed the plant by staking it. There are so many factors that can cause these changes. Climate comes to mind. With weather changes, houseplants may be too near drafts from a heating system. I do think yuccas need a resting period from active growing so a little less water may benefit them. Barely damp soil during winter.
Good luck.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Cats420 #361474 Nov 4th, 2012 at 09:11 PM
Cats420 Offline OP
OP Offline
I think i Might have found the problem.....would scales cause this? Help!!!!!

SUPER DUDPER THANKS IN ADVANCE...

CATS

Cats420 #364111 Feb 5th, 2013 at 05:10 AM
Cats420 Offline OP
OP Offline
Anyone know any way to cure this problem....it has spread to my palms now....help!!!

Cats420 #364233 Feb 8th, 2013 at 08:59 AM
It's hard to analyze a problem with no pictures, and little description beyond yellowing and browning, so I'll have a go at a couple of general observations about yucca. When people have problems with them as indoor plants, the usual reason is the soil staying too wet. Especially if they have light any less than a bright south window, the soil needs to get almost dry, to the bottom of the pot, between waterings. Do you check the soil with some kind of probe or stick to make sure it's not too wet? On the other hand, keeping them too dry will also cause problems; testing the soil will also help you avoid this mistake.

Scale are not so common on yucca, mealy bug are more likely; how do you know you have scale? Regardless of whether scale or mealy, you can control them by spraying plant well with a soap and water solution - use 1 tablespoon of mild liquid detergent in 2 cups water, spray plant on both leaf surfaces and into the crevices between leaf and stem - spray to dripping, once a week for 3 weeks. If you want to get creative, add 1 teaspoon of alcohol. Of course there are a number of insecticides you can use, but I personally prefer to go it without poison.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image