Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#360946 Oct 17th, 2012 at 08:59 AM
OP Offline
Hello friends,

My ivy is dying. It's been growing good for many years. The sprinklers are working like they always have but I can't figure out why it's dying.

Does Ivy grow old and die after many years?

Here are some pictures. On the left is fine and on the right is fine but the middle has just been dying off.

Nothing's changed to my knowledge. Suggestions?

Left= [Linked Image]

Center= [Linked Image]

Right= [Linked Image]

ageofknowledge #360951 Oct 17th, 2012 at 09:36 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, age. Is this English ivy? I cannot tell from the photos. I have never seen english ivy die off like this unless it was sprayed for killing intentionally. Even a little lack of water would not do this.
Ivy lives for many years and old ivy can often grow some upright growth that loses its vining habit. I took a cutting once and had an ivy bush.
You may be able to ask your local county extension to see what the problem may be with your plants.
Good luck.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #360953 Oct 17th, 2012 at 10:12 AM
OP Offline
Yes, it is English Ivy. That would make sense now that you mention it. We contracted with some new gardeners a few months ago and I saw them out there spraying. When I asked the only one that speaks any english what they were doing, he said they were spraying a spray that kills weeds but not plants.

It's a Hispanic crew. I believe them to be illegal aliens at this point. It appears they took my money and murdered my yard.

Originally Posted by Tina
Welcome, age. Is this English ivy? I cannot tell from the photos. I have never seen english ivy die off like this unless it was sprayed for killing intentionally. Even a little lack of water would not do this.
Ivy lives for many years and old ivy can often grow some upright growth that loses its vining habit. I took a cutting once and had an ivy bush.
You may be able to ask your local county extension to see what the problem may be with your plants.
Good luck.

Last edited by ageofknowledge; Oct 17th, 2012 at 10:13 AM.
ageofknowledge #360960 Oct 17th, 2012 at 03:03 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
No, there are sprays that can be used to kill grass off in amongst broad leaved plants. Fusilade is one. Sometimes, they can damage the ivy but it should come back. I would not worry too much about it unless it truly does not show signs of regrowing in a couple of months. Ivy is tough stuff. Hard to get rid of when you want to get rid of it. I am working on that myself right now.
It may be just as quick to let it re-establish as to replant new sprigs.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
ageofknowledge #361017 Oct 19th, 2012 at 11:36 AM
I was thinking that since it is ivy, and that since ivy spreads fairly easily, perhaps you should let it be for a little bit, watch it though. If things get worse, obviously you'll need to do something, but, it may grow back. grin

-Jon Boyenga
Medon #361297 Oct 28th, 2012 at 10:57 AM
OP Offline
Thank you all. I'm having a consultant from the local nursery resolve it. I did take the time to submit a soil sample to the county as well (just for more own information). The gardeners... well... they have been uncontracted. Peace and Happy Holidays!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image