Rate Thread
#360621 Sep 30th, 2012 at 05:26 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
If I stretch in my kitchen, I can touch the ceiling flat-footed. I love cooking but do not like my tiny kitchen much at all. When I cook, I try to cook in bulk. That way I don't have to spend as much time in there grumping about my kitchen.
I think most know that full freezers work more economically than half empty ones do. And you have wasted oven heat/space if you are just roasting a single roast in there. When I go into my kitchen to cook something, I try to cook lots of something(s).
I like having my own 'convenience' foods in my freezers. I know what is in them and if they are low fat or salt free, etc.
So a meatloaf is two and maybe a few meatballs as well. I'll tuck that into the oven with some baked taters, some for now and some for stuffing and freezing. I make at least a loaf of french toast at a time.
My family has become fewer people over the years. I am not cooking less so much as learning to package it up into smaller meals for the future. I can find something on sale and buy a bunch of whatever at prices I am happy with. It also gives me a lot of ready to heat and eat meals for when I'm not feeling on top of the world or just when time is tight. Or something ready to share with a nice neighbor.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #360629 Sep 30th, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
okay first hints// like Tina I cook in bulk most of the time....

I don't use ground beef but do cook with ground turkey- I usually cook up 10 lbs at a time..mis it with garlic and onions and peppers too if they are on sale or I have some stashed in freezer.. sometimes add mushrooms too cause I like them in everything... I have a food saver so after it's cooled make up serving size bags for us- now it's 2 cups to a bag... used to be 4 but trying to cook smaller..

I cook chicken thighs about 20 lbs at a time with onions and in the bottom of my roaster oven ... I make up a spice mix we like with no salt .. love Mrs Dash too.. and pkgs it same way- 3 pieces to a pkg.. one for me 2 for Joe... I also cook up chicken legs in bbq sauce for the boys- they call it chicken with handles.. for when they spend the evening or nights with us... pkgs are bigger for them... they can eat 3 each most times... I make big batches of soups and chili's too and freeze them in square pans lined with foil and transfer to my sealed bags... good for winter days when I am busy with kids all day... especially if I remember to load up the bread machine in the morning...

I also make up 10lbs of mashed potatoes and freeze it in portions.. if you add cream cheese - just a little it freezes up really nicely- makes a fast side with the chicken..

I also make pancakes and french toast in big batches.. freeze them in double bread wrappers and take to Carri's for boys to heat up for themselves.. fast breakfasts for them and easy on mom who is not morning person... I add blueberries to the pancakes and choc chips too in some for special suprises- also add pureed sweet potatos and carrots to some for sunshine pancakes- they thing its food dye... LOL! add wheatgerm too and sometimes oatmeal I blend down to flour... little added nutrition...

I make up meatloaves and freeze them flat in bags too.. add the purees to them too .. they thaw fast and cook up nicely ... nice and moist..

Well thats a start ... more later..
Nana

[Linked Image]
Tina #360631 Sep 30th, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I knew you cooked in bulk, Nana. It is much cheaper when you can get big lots of things on sale. I also push vegetables into most things. I just like them.
I have oven issues for baking things like cookies or biscuits. My oven does not cook evenly. But I still have about 3 dozen biscuits (flipped in the middle of the baking process) in my bigger freezer along with sausage patties from bulk I bought on sale and cooked up. I have instant sausage biscuits it is easy to add eggs and/or cheese. I cook up a bunch of oatmeal pancakes usually in the cooler months.
I just got a grain mill last week and am looking forward to putting that to use to grind a lot of my own things. I'll be able to pack more nutrition into some things that way.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #360633 Sep 30th, 2012 at 01:40 PM
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
You both speak of freezing french toast.
How do you do that? And how do you cook it after it's frozen?

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
Tina #360658 Oct 1st, 2012 at 02:16 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I cook french toast and put it in a gallon sized baggie. Usually stacked two high so a baggie holds 8 slices comfortably. And then freeze it. Two pieces usually take a minute or an added half minute to reheat in the microwave. Mine stick together but come apart easily halfway through the heating process.
You could divide the slices with parchment or wax paper but as I use at least 2 at a time, I don't see the need.
French toast is one of Ted's limited foods that he will eat. It is good to have them on hand for him. I guess you could toast it in a toaster but Ted doesn't eat anything crunchy. Soft french toast works best for him.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #360659 Oct 1st, 2012 at 03:06 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I would think it would toast well in a toaster, Tina----but as you say, if you wanted it soft anyway--the MW would work great.

also I freeze mine on a cookie sheet & then when they are frozen solid, I pop them into a zip top bag, so I can prepare as many or as few as I want at a time.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Tina #360661 Oct 1st, 2012 at 09:15 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Tina..you could buy a cheap toaster oven. My DD had one she bought for $20 and said it baked cookies better than an oven.

Great tips girls.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Tina #360663 Oct 2nd, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I did buy a toaster oven a couple years ago. And I do use it. But it is small and a little harder to clean than a standard oven. Actually, I'm still learning to use it. I am not fond of small batches. It is convection though and great for drying fruit and things.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Cindy I do same to cook as Tina.Boys like it soft so I usually nuke it with a little butter on it and then use syrup or powdered sugar on it... you can stick it in a reg toaster if it has a frozen setting but it does make it crunchy.. I also will slice some up half froz into sticks for them to dip in warm syrup... but the reg slices - I freeze in sandwich bags 5 to a bag cause they can eat that many each for breakfast- used to do 2 when they were younger but now it's all I can do to fill them up!
If we have time I will top with cooked apples or blueberries... or bananas...
Nana

[Linked Image]
Tina #360713 Oct 5th, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
You guys are so smart. I need to start doing this too. When you cook a frozen meat loaf do you thaw it or just pop a piece in the microwave? And once you cook up a bunch of ground turkey how do you use it? Does it need to be thawed?

I can't eat raw meat once I've frozen and thawed it but freezing it already cooked and then warming it or nuking it doesn't seem so bad.

Tina #360714 Oct 5th, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
what is a food saver?

Tina #360715 Oct 5th, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
A food saver is a sealing machine that sucks the air out before sealing a bag closed.
I cook whole meat loaves then freeze in halves now that my family has shrunk. I suppose you can freeze it in individual slices. I adore meatloaf sandwiches.
With any type of ground meat, I usually make a sauce to freeze it in. I have had too much get freezer burned without adding a liquid. Even with all the air removed when sealing. So spaghetti sauce or a mushroom sauce or whatever I plan on using it with. Or even just broth that I may not use the defrosted meat with in the same meal. But a liquid to keep air away from touching the meat.
Somehow, I have rarely had meat loaf burn in the freezer. Maybe it is because of the liquids I add to the mix.
Maybe Nana has different experiences with it all.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #360717 Oct 5th, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Sheri,
I have had my foodsaver for a long time- I use it for stuff for food I intend to keep in freezer for a while.. it seals out all the air and I don't get freezer burn when I use it- I freeze my meat loaf mixed but not cooked- flat in bags .. I thaw it in fridge and shape loaf or circle ... and then cook it... I have frozen left over slices and I do use gravy when I do that or tomato sauce...I make smaller loaves now that it's just the two of us too... what used to make 2 loaves I make 4 now...

The cooked turkey or ground beef I use to make chili or spaghetti sauce... or fake hamburgher helper type meals for boys .. mac an cheese with ground meat and diced tomatos added... italian spices and its filling and quick for them... my mom used to call that slumgulion... don't know why though...LOL!I don't thaw it to use it just place in pan and heat till it's thawed and ready to add whatever I am making... it's mostly to make dinners faster for me..

Nana

[Linked Image]
Nana's15 #360718 Oct 5th, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
OK--when I cook ground meats I often just freeze enough in a quart freezer bag (or a food saver would be great too) for 1 meal---
then if I make ground beef stroganoff, spaghetti sauce or any other meal that calls for loose ground meat I just toss it in frozen. (it is kinda crumbly anyway as I put it in the freezer flat so most of the meat is already seperated & then freezes this way) By the time you warm or cook the sauce it is thawed. saves time on a busy night and also you can buy your meat of choice when it is on sale.
I will say I cool the meat before I put it in a freezer bag.

________

Tina #360720 Oct 5th, 2012 at 12:11 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Thanks ladies.

Tina, you cook your meatloaf, then freeze your meatloaf, then it thaws as you warm it?

Nana, you make yours up, then freeze, then thaw and shape and cook?

Sorry. I want to get this right because Johnny loves meatloaf.

Tina #360721 Oct 5th, 2012 at 01:30 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, I cook ahead when I can to make actual future meal prep simpler. I also don't like to waste any space when running my oven. So I bake lots at once. It isn't laziness so much as saving the cost of running the oven multiple times for multiple loaves and sides. I just really don't want to bake cupcakes at the same time as something oniony or the like.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #360722 Oct 5th, 2012 at 01:56 PM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Yes I make my meatloaves up, usually 4 at a time... put in a gallon ziplock , flat. freeze, put in food saver bag and seal.. stack in freezer .. saves space.. then when I need one- I take it out let it thaw till it is moldable.. make into loaf shape and cook... if I have left overs I slice it up and make into dinners with those divided plates- usually with mashed taters, gravy and whatever veggie we had.. seal it in a ziplock and then a food saver bag- use the ziplocks inside foodsaver bags so I can reuse those after washing...I freeze those for really fast nukeable dinners.. my version of a tv dinner... works for lunches for me too when Joe is working and I don't have kids to feed...

Nana

[Linked Image]
Nana's15 #360723 Oct 5th, 2012 at 02:14 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Ok MY turn to be confused. lol So Sherri, are you re-using the ziploc or the food save bags--

________

JunieGirl #360724 Oct 5th, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Lol! sorry- I save the foodsaver bags by washing them in the dishwasher... I cut them big and fold them at first when I use them, then as they get smaller use them for other things... that way I only have to buy new ones once a yr or so...
Nana

[Linked Image]
Tina #360725 Oct 6th, 2012 at 03:17 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I have a bag sealer from pre-air-suction days. Those bags were pricy then and worse now. I have a Reynolds suction machine now. Reynolds quit making the bags for it but my local store does make bags and I think Glad does too. It works well and a little less cost.
It is my first full cool day at home. I have the oven stuffed with potatoes (5 #), bacon (1#), and some mini meatball pies in muffin tins and 2 sweet potatoes.. My stove top is steaming some broccoli (2#). I will stuff the regular taters with bacon, broc and cheese and freeze those. I will freeze the meatball mini pies. I will eat at least one of the sweet potatoes when it is done for my lunch. And of course I have to taste test the mini pies.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #360731 Oct 6th, 2012 at 09:38 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Why don't I just come eat with you guys. Sounds so good.

Tina #360778 Oct 9th, 2012 at 09:13 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
So what you are telling me is that a vac sealer is a worthwhile tool to save money? I must ponder that advice with my husband lol

I never thought about cooking beef and then freezing, great idea gals.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Tina #360780 Oct 9th, 2012 at 10:56 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
No, Sunny. The vacuum sealers are wonderful to help stop freezer burn. It is just the bags are expensive so you want to be careful of when you use them. They are best used on your more precious food items. And those most likely to suffer burn items. etc. If you freeze something like french toast that you plan on using up in a short space of time, a couple of weeks, then it is a waste of bags and time to seal them.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #360785 Oct 10th, 2012 at 02:43 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
And do I I do when I use the food saver bags.. use reg glad or ziplock or storebrand bags as a liner and the cut your own freezer bags... I make them big and cut them down as I use them and reuse them till they are way to small for anything else... the foodsavers are pricy but have saved me big bucks on stuff I plan to keep for awhile.... I have the cannisters too that help save cookies and that kind of stuff .. I can bake ahead and keep it for kids... and keep me out of it...LOL!
Nana

[Linked Image]
Nana's15 #360802 Oct 10th, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
well, I think they save $$ as you do not waste food because you had to throw it out--so as nana said it is great for long term freezing--say butchered meat that is put up for the year (or 2)

I used to have one but mice chewed thru the power cord. I hope to get another one sometime soon.

I used to put up all kinds of home grown veggies & fruits in it--it was wonderful.

I am told one can also put non-eatable things in them to keep them dry & safe.

________

Tina #360803 Oct 10th, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, important papers can be stored in them to help keep them dry in a disaster.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #360804 Oct 10th, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
LOL!
I keep my Mom's and Grandmother's silverware I ended up with in food saver bags I have lined with paper towels to keep from puncturing it in food saver bags... got tired of polishing it everytime I used it... so just wash it - dry it well and reseal in the bags... actually thinking of selling it since my kids don't want it and it's not sentimental to me either... may look into that possibility.
Nana

[Linked Image]
Sunflowers #399236 May 14th, 2018 at 04:58 AM
wow no oven to clean themn,

Tina #400558 Sep 26th, 2018 at 05:19 PM
Nice insights though.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image