Rate Thread
#360583 Sep 29th, 2012 at 02:30 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
You need good paper towels for this. I like Viva because they are very cloth like and hang together well. I think Bounty makes one almost as good. I have not explored that yet.
Take the roll of towels and cut it in half with a saw. This will create some paper dust and a rough edge but it doesn't need to be pretty. You can remove the cardboard tube after cutting if you want.
Put this into a container that you can seal. Add liquid cleaners of choice for cleaning wipes. I like hydrogen peroxide for the germicide qualities. But you can fill it with any thing that works for you and your surfaces. ( although bleach is not a good idea). Vinegar is pretty good and the smell takes other odors away with it when it dries. Let it soak up the liquid and use. Even though these are not the cheapest towels, they are much cheaper than store bought wipes.
For baby wipes, these also work. But there are recipes for the best liquids to use for your baby.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #360585 Sep 29th, 2012 at 05:51 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
wooha Viva paper towels are ridiculous expensive here, Bounty not so bad when they are on sale. I saw that as you suggested above on You Tube but that was more for wiping counters= disinfecting or making baby wipes.
I'm wondering about Dusting wipes, seems it would be more expensive to pour a liquid dusting solution over paper towels Hmmmm I have to give the dusting wipes some more thought, I don't see much liquid on the shelves for dusting,old english which is expensive, or orange glow maybe?? yet mostly sprays.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Tina #360586 Sep 29th, 2012 at 05:58 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Okay I found this one for Dusting wipes,, thumbup

sounds simple enough,, Never thought about Lemon oil grin

Materials:

- Container of some sort that has an airtight cover. An old baby wipe container will work.

- 5 cheesecloth squares cut to about 20 inches by 20 inches.

- 1 pint of hot water

- 1/4 cup lemon oil
Instructions:

1. Combine the water and lemon oil in a Mason jar. Cover and shake well.

2. Soak the cloth in the solution and squeeze out the excess.

3. Hang and allow to dry.
To Use:

Just take one of your treated cloths and dust wood furniture as you always do. The solution will help the dust adhere to the cloth and also leave a protective coat on your furniture. Added bonus? Your house will smell great!
To Wash Treated Dust Cloths:

When the cloth gets dirty just wash it in warm, soapy water and rinse thoroughly. Repeat the dipping and drying process and it is ready to dust and polish more furniture.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Tina #360587 Sep 29th, 2012 at 06:07 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Viva is expensive. But soft enough to wipe your nose when you have a cold. If they are in a pocket and go through the wash they come out in one piece, not all over your clothes. I do use cheaper towels for general cleaning.
I don't dry dust anything. I always damp dust and get it right out of my house. But I live in a major dust tunnel. I doubt the lemon oil would work well for me.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #360588 Sep 29th, 2012 at 06:17 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I've heard mineral oil I wonder if that would work?? or is that for stainless steel??? It's really dusty here as well cuz it's been so hot and dry this summer, I'm thinking the cheeseclothes would work better for the dusting then paper towels`~ thinking it would pick up the allergen particles better?,and not become more airborne??
I for sure will consider the disinfecting wipes, I have bought a lot of those over the past few years and usually get them in bulk at Sams' so those containers will come in handy for sure! thumbup In the Long run it will save $$ in the future.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Very interesting ladies--I will hve to think about it--
Tina--did you say that you make clothes washing detergent ??

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
Very interesting ladies--I will hve to think about it--
Tina--did you say that you make clothes washing detergent ??

I do. I posted it //www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/360582/Re_New_forum.html#Post360582 before I realized that each type of item should have its own thread.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image