Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Cool beans, Mr. Bill.... thumbup

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Bless you, Bill...

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I have been making my own laundry soap. I use dry detergent but this can also be made into a liquid (but it is gloppy and needs shaking constantly before use, I'm told)
The initial outlay seems expensive for 3 ingredients. But as you only use a tablespoon of the dry detergent for a load and at most 2 for very dirty loads, it is a real savings.
Ingredients:
1 bar of Ivory soap (or Fels Naptha)
1 cup of Borax
1 cup of Washing soda

The washing soda is the toughest item to find any more. I went to the pool supplies department and got pH Plus Fast dissolving soda ash. It is the same thing as washing soda.

The rest takes about 10 minutes. Grate the bar of soap. Mix in the Borax and the washing soda. Stir it up and store it covered.
Use about a tablespoon per load. This works in top loading washers as well as front loading. It is very low suds but it cleans my clothes well and rinses out well and doesn't irritate our skin at all.
It is not the least bit harmful to my plants and trees when the water runs outside. Very environmentally friendly.
Ivory soap grates easily and the shreds break up even more in the mixing. You end up with a fairly fine white powder that just smells clean.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I grew up using vinegar for hair rinse. The smell goes away once it is dry and it leaves hair and scalp feeling clean.
But vinegar also works well as a fabric softener and is not as harmful to your clothing as commercial softeners can be. It is good for keeping the hard water build up out of your washer too. I am just not sure of the amounts recommended. I use about a quarter cup per load in my automatic dispenser.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
That sounds easy enough! I love Ivory soap...and Borax.

I was trying to figure out how to put this in a new topic here by itself, but am an idiot tonight for some reason. touched

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
It is easy. I made my first batch with one bar of Ivory soap. I made my second batch with 5 bars and five cups of each Borax and washing soda. At a tablespoon per load that is going to last me for many months. I got out my machine to grate the soap and it was done in a jiffy. It cleans up well off of the graters too. And they can still be used for your carrots and other foods. We use a medicine cup to scoop it up.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
one thing I have found is resale shops that sell used clothing that still is in style, trendy, and the boys like. I was hesitant about doing that at first but decided to go take a look. 98% of the clothes are like new,( the particular store I go to won't accept anything less that gently worn clothing), The Prices are very cheap, like Mens skinny jeans for 12$,compared to 55$ on line ,mens designer hoodies 10$ compared to the 65$ I'd spend at the mall. I recently discovered this store wish I had found it a year ago.

The way I save gas is,, when I moved to this apt two years ago with the boys, and I had to change Dr's for them schools etc, I made sure I picked Dr's in the immediate area. I live in a Metropolis so Dr's could be 3O to 45 minutes away. But I researched until I found Dr's/Dentist with in 5 miles of my home, fortunately one is 6 blocks another about a mile from me, Stores/ and business I Have to go to on a weekly/monthly bases is "lined" up on my way Home from work,Before and after school day care is on the road home that sits next to Walmart for groceries and Pharmacy, Walgreen's is next to that , Paying elect/water bill is next to that, so park and take care of all my business before going home including grocery shopping so I don't have to drive using gas on the weekend.If the Boys want to go to the mall I COULD spoil them and drive them BUT it's within walking distance so they walk. I know it's not always easy to get drs/businesses lined up like that maybe I was just lucky in the place I moved to with everything close, But getting all grocery shopping, business taken care of on Friday after work sure saves driving on the weekend when everyone is out doing it. It sure saves me gas!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Does anyone have ideas about dusting and buying/cost of dusting sprays/wipes? what can be used instead?? with two kids in the house that have asthma I don't like to use a lot of sprays, I mostly use dusting wipes but that gets expensive.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I will post it in a new thread.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Tina
It is easy. I made my first batch with one bar of Ivory soap. I made my second batch with 5 bars and five cups of each Borax and washing soda. At a tablespoon per load that is going to last me for many months. I got out my machine to grate the soap and it was done in a jiffy. It cleans up well off of the graters too. And they can still be used for your carrots and other foods. We use a medicine cup to scoop it up.

so I am grating the ivory bar soap & the borax & washing soda are al ready flakes, right ?/ then when it is all yet dry I mix it & measure out 1 TB per load???? The water will dissolve it??? why

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
It does dissolve it. My oldest daughter has said she does not like powder detergent because she has found some undissolved at times when she has switched laundry from the washer to the dryer. I say that is because she has filled the washer too full and liquid detergent would also be undiluted in there, just not as visible. But just as irritating to sensitive skin.
There are a lot of recipes out there on the internet. Most have the same basics I am using and then begin to add scents and Oxiclean and things. That adds to the expense and to the possible sensitivity issues.
I really like basic. My laundry is clean. My environment is a little cleaner. My skin is not as itchy. I can pre-treat stains before washing with other products if I'm worried about a particular item. I try to choose eco-friendly things even then.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
No matter if I am using liquid or powder laundry detergent, I always put it in as I am starting to fill the washer...set the water level to 'low'...when it agitates a few minutes without clothes in the washer, THEN I add the clothes and continue filling with water.

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
That is good thinking, Cindy. I am mostly too impatient to stand around waiting for my washer to fill enough. I have pretty low water pressure and that takes quite awhile when the water trickles in.
This should have had a thread of its own. But I can't fix that now.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Tina
That is good thinking, Cindy. I am mostly too impatient to stand around waiting for my washer to fill enough. I have pretty low water pressure and that takes quite awhile when the water trickles in.
This should have had a thread of its own. But I can't fix that now.

yea--we should have one thread that is purely recipes (for ease of locating)--any comments & such could be in aptly titled "other" threads

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Someone, either Cindy or Bill, made this recipe a thread of its own. Thank you. Comments are good as well as answering questions. I like it.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
I started to make this into it's own thread last night...but knew if I did it would have my name on it and not yours...didn't know how to get around that. So, Bill did it.

I am mostly too impatient to stand around waiting for my washer to fill enough.
I have nothing better to do... lol
...seriously.

Last edited by afgreyparrot; Sep 30th, 2012 at 01:45 PM.

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
That last batch lasted me until now and I still had a few months left to go. But today I made another batch and added to my bucket of laundry detergent. I have another year's worth now, at least. I love this stuff.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Diane,

I use plain old lemon oil on old terry towels or washcloths... I use and old wipe container.. I use diaper wipes but any will do I imagine... put my towels down inside- pour a little lemon oil on it and add towels and oil , small amount at a time... that way I have them ready to go and no dust escapes into the air... this may work for you if your boys can handle the scent of lemon oil- I have to do it when Joe isn't home cause it bothers him but it didn't bother my son when he was little.. and he had asthma... I reuse them till they get to dirty and then soak in dishsoap and let dry and reuse... I usually use old dishcloths that are to stained to use for dishes anymore... so recycled a couple times at least before they can't be used anymore.
I also buy solid white washcloths at the dollar store or sams fairly cheap to use for cleaning.. they are bleachable and last forever for uses like this..
Nana

[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Nana's15
Diane,

I use plain old lemon oil on old terry towels or washcloths... I use and old wipe container.. I use diaper wipes but any will do I imagine... put my towels down inside- pour a little lemon oil on it and add towels and oil , small amount at a time... that way I have them ready to go and no dust escapes into the air... this may work for you if your boys can handle the scent of lemon oil- I have to do it when Joe isn't home cause it bothers him but it didn't bother my son when he was little.. and he had asthma... I reuse them till they get to dirty and then soak in dishsoap and let dry and reuse... I usually use old dishcloths that are to stained to use for dishes anymore... so recycled a couple times at least before they can't be used anymore.
I also buy solid white washcloths at the dollar store or sams fairly cheap to use for cleaning.. they are bleachable and last forever for uses like this..
Nana

Thank you Nana, after months I finally get an answer to my question. Lemon oil smell doesn't bother any of us. I will use your method! Thanks so much kissie thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
luv
Diane,
You are more than welcome... another tip for lemon oil you may not know... if after you clean your tile in the bathroom if you wipe it down with lemon oil it will stay cleaner longer , shower doors too if you have them- just make sure you don't get it on the bottom of tub or shower...it gets very slippery.

Nana

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I use it on my shower doors. It keeps the soap buildup down.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Nana's15
luv
Diane,
You are more than welcome... another tip for lemon oil you may not know... if after you clean your tile in the bathroom if you wipe it down with lemon oil it will stay cleaner longer , shower doors too if you have them- just make sure you don't get it on the bottom of tub or shower...it gets very slippery.

Nana

Ohhhhh thanks so much,, I talked to Tre about this earlier ( he is the duster of this household) today,, We found a 2 gallon ziplock we will put them in, going to dollar general tomorrow to get the lemon oil. clap

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image