Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hello,
I have a palm that I purchased several years ago at Walmart which at that time it was sold as a 'Indoor Fern' well it turned out to be a bunch of young palm seedlings all crammed into a tiny plastic planter. Over the first years all of the young begin to thin out leaving only the stronger, larger to survive. Eventually there was one left and I was at first sad but realized that the plant would now be in a more ideal situation without competition. So I have grown this so-called fern and it ended up being a palm of some kind. Im not sure what kind and I am seeking assistance in identification of the plant and treatment of the disease or pest that has began to harm the plant substantially. I have three pictures one of the plant young and healthy and the other two of current status of the palm. I have self-identified (google images) as a small kentia palm but need assistance to verify.

I am pretty sure i have identified spider mites, about to do the paper test, but I keep washing the palm and then applying neem oil product that after a week or so I can see tiny threads of web between some of the 'leaves'

I am deeply concerned because the last few new shoots have not done so good, they start healthy and green then recently they are browning before they open and one was half dead upon opening. This damage is apparent in the photos. Currently two fronds or limbs have lost their leaves simultaneously which is very abnormal for this plant. I have been caring for it for years and I have recently moved (six months) and it gets poor light, compared to previous years and I dont have much option for sunlight at apartment.
Please have a look and ask any necessary questions as I will be watching closely for responses.

Thank you in advance and look forward to any assistance!

The palm when younger:
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/Gunman86/SpeakerMod.jpg

Current Unhealthy Condition:
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/Gunman86/2012-09-25_18-40-40_108.jpg

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/Gunman86/2012-09-25_18-41-09_751.jpg

Last edited by PlantLovingPerson; Sep 25th, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, PLP. (Your screen name was too long for this tired person to mess with)
I think you have a parlor palm. You can see basic info , here.
Besides your possible spider mite issues, I think your plant is lacking proper light. Is there a way to fix a full spectrum light for it? It can also be beneficial for you in the coming winter months.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
Awesome, thanks for replying,
So I have spent all evening examining all of my plants and I have found small insects in the soil in a couple of them. One is super infested and has been next to the palm and the palm is also infested to a lesser degree. They look like insects they appear light brown, yellowish tan, very small, free moving, not on the foliage that I can see but heavily infesting the soil.

Last edited by PlantLovingPerson; Sep 25th, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
It is not a total fix, but you can mix up some dish detergent in a spray bottle with water, about a tablespoon per quart, and spray the soil surface. This may cut back on the buggy population. Neem oil is good stuff but needs redoing pretty much daily.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
Thanks Tina for your suggestion,

I learned alot last night in my panic and research. About two weeks ago I repotted all of my plants and shifted their pots around so now the infection is most likely spread if not already affecting all of my plants. I have noticed little tiny gnats or fly's around some of the plants occasionally but never has made me think twice.
I have been using what I think is gardening soil in my indoor house plant pots which I learned is not good. I am pretty sure this infestation has been growing for at least 6 months and possibly longer. I think I will attempt to use neem oil in conjunction with dish soap before taking more extreme measures.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,871
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image