Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#360168 Sep 12th, 2012 at 06:16 PM
Andra Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey everybody! This was my first year gardening. I've become so obsessed I'm thinking I might schedule my own intervention-lol! Anyway, we have a cold climate so I started alot of seeds inside-around march and they got a bit leggy but are now producing beautifully-but took many more days than the packet said. I do not have a green house so I started them in egg cartons then moved them to larger pots. No lights just kept them in a window and on warmer days put them outside-it was alot of work. I wonder if I maybe hindered them more than I helped. I also didn't know anything about spacing so I basically blanted everything 1 foot apart in 2 foot rows. I did not realize my pumpkins would be so ambitious. Despite my mistakes things have grown surprisingly well. I am trying to read as many books as I can to prepare for next year-though I am finding many contradict each other. I have even begun ordering seeds.

So I wonder, how large is your garden? Do you grow a large variety? How do You plan and prepare? How much of your produce comes from your garden? Do you sell? And do you make "garden blueprints"-this is a recommendation I saw where you plot out the garden on graph paper.

Sorry so many questions.

Andra #360173 Sep 12th, 2012 at 10:24 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, Andra. I don't grow many edibles here. The critters eat them before I can. Although I do tuck some in between ornamental plants. And I grow berries for the birds.
Plotting a garden is about the best thing towards production. You can plan where so the taller things are not shading the smaller ones and space for those things that take a lot of room.
You sound like you did not do so badly for the first time. Good luck.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image