Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#360093 Sep 10th, 2012 at 05:58 AM
OP Offline
Hi, this question may be better posed in an agriculture forum, but I don't belong to one, so I thought I'd start here. If noone can give me an answer then I'll just have to try somewhere else.

In the pics of the dry and washed soybeans, you'll notice some odd greyish (sometimes greyish-brown) cylinders that almost like like some sort of bird food. Only problem is - what are they really, and why are they in my soybeans, which have supposedly already been roasted. I'm really stumped on this one - any help appreciated. I now have to pick through all of my soybeans and remove these - they are kind of disgusting, and they do NOT float in water so I cannot separate them out like other floaty stuff that I often decant off the top. I am a stickler for clean soybeans for my animals. I simply cannot have this stuff in my soybeans.

Thanks for any help. Please click on the below link to see the two pics, then click on each one at a time.

Soybeans with unknown stuff in them

FredGrassMan #360094 Sep 10th, 2012 at 06:34 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Hi, Fred. These are not something you grew yourself? I would ask at the place where I purchased this. It does look like some type of food additive much like I would feed a rodent pet or something. Where they make an alfalfa slurry and then press and dry it or something.
I hope you can find an answer somewhere.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #360098 Sep 10th, 2012 at 07:02 AM
OP Offline
Hi Tina, thanks for the nice, quick answer, it's a big help, as I'm extremely upset right now. The other shipments of soybeans I got from the supplier never had anything like this and the smell was pretty much like fresh-roasted soybeans. These DO smell very much like a pet shop, who would of course, as you say, sell rodent, hamster, and other feed for animals. I now have to make some decisions as I'm so sad and angry right now. The shipment also came with a whole bunch of moths in it. I can no longer trust the shipper and I don't get into discussions about things like this. I DON'T ask people questions if they cannot do something simple like pack soybeans into a bag, seal it and ship it. The older shipments were sealed in some sort of cellophane, making tampering difficult - these were not. ???

Again, thanks very much for the help.

//www.agardenersforum.com/forum/images/icons/default/frown.gif

FredGrassMan #360099 Sep 10th, 2012 at 07:33 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
It's probably just soybean meal...they compress the damaged soybeans in pellet form.

I own horses and cattle and compressed meal is found often in my store bought feed.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #360104 Sep 10th, 2012 at 08:48 AM
OP Offline
Thank you - I'll have to look into the issue of what the pellets are. They are sort of disgusting in appearance, texture, and smell so I don't really want to spend much time on it. But the smell is not the smell of soybeans I don't think but who knows?

But to be honest, one should say, "this is soybean meal". Irregardless, it is sort of dishonest - the shipment of beans isn't good quality and I was charged more - perhaps the drought was part or all of the reason for the higher price. But why the moths?

I see this sort of thing too often - the country I was born into, I don't think that it was dishonest. Something has changed. People always try to pass something off on you without telling you. I don't like that at all - it's dishonest.

I know it probably doesn't bother someone who feeds horses and cattle but I would just throw the junk in the compost heap - it smells awful and it's NOT a smell of lactic acid that bad beans gets, it smells like a bunch of pets and their dander. I believe that animals deserve the same level of niceness as humans - no funny stuff on them either. I don't like cheapness - I want quality through and through.

Sorry to ramble on the issue - I think it's the smell mostly that bothers me, and I don't think that I should do business with that supplier and it's SO hard to find another. If only the supplier knew how much better soybeans smell after they are cleansed properly - they smell heavenly, I would love to grow them myself if I could find a piece of land somewhere!

Enjoy your horses and cattle. Later on folks!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image