Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#360066 Sep 9th, 2012 at 02:54 PM
OP Offline
I have a baby Schefflera arboricola (which I guess is simialar to an Australian Umbrella?) sorry, I don't know it's common name. It was a cutting I took from a tree at school, rooted in water, and potted this summer. It had an offshoot in July/August. It's one of the 4 plants I took to school with me. It doesn't seem to like a lot of water and so it's pot has gravel in the bottom and drainage holes. I last watered it on Sept 2nd. I left school this Friday and the plant was fine but when I came back Sunday the 9th the plant has two dying leaves on it's new growth.

[Linked Image]

I'm not sure how to fix it or stop it. It's the top two leaves.

Ive loved houseplants ever since I was a kid, my grandmother taught me. Majored in Floriculture in High School.
ShinyDragonfly #360070 Sep 9th, 2012 at 10:59 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Scheffleras do enjoy regular water and decent drainage. Most newly developing cuttings need fairly regular moisture no matter what types they are with the exception of a few true desert dwellers. If you plan on leaving your plant again for a weekend, water it before you leave and a clear plastic bag over without touching the leaves may help retain moisture.
They are pretty tough plants and it should recover from the small mishap. Good luck.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #360083 Sep 10th, 2012 at 12:41 AM
OP Offline
Thank you, I'll give it some more water today then and see how that goes. The original leaves seem perfectly fine so I feel that it should be able to keep growing.

Last edited by ShinyDragonfly; Sep 10th, 2012 at 12:42 AM.

Ive loved houseplants ever since I was a kid, my grandmother taught me. Majored in Floriculture in High School.
ShinyDragonfly #360101 Sep 10th, 2012 at 08:23 AM
OP Offline
I watered it from the bottom which it took up pretty quickly. I also moved it to another spot so hopefully it will get more sun.

ShinyDragonfly #360193 Sep 13th, 2012 at 02:05 PM
OP Offline
The two leaves that were dying fell off the other day before the whole leaf died. The other 3 leaves seem okay.

ShinyDragonfly #360411 Sep 24th, 2012 at 01:51 AM
OP Offline
A third leaf has a spot on it like the other two did before they fell off. Don't know what to do anymore

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image