Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Once one stem puts off pitchers Unless you cut it( Like getting a start)it won't put off any more, All new growth eventually will put off a pitcher. What ever you cut and start will, as well as where you cut it from will grow new leaves and again will put off pitchers from the new leaves.. so you can continuely have pitchers by creating new growth(s).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thought I'd update with some new pictures - sorry they are so dark -
it's in the shade and the flash didn't seem to make a difference...

"my how you've grown!"...................See the baby?[Linked Image].....[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
shockOhhhhhhhhh yay yay Yay Lynne!!!!!!! Isn't it awesome to watch them develope!!!!!!!!! I'm sooooo happy for you, and your plant is very happy!!
clap clap clap clap

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Just had to share this picture that I took this morning - this time the plant was in the sunshine and looking oh-so-good!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Yesss it does Lynne! grin She is very happy ! clap IF you want to start another on just cut off a piece and put it in vermiculite and distilled water and it will root , the PIc I posted in Gardner's chat in Night Pictures was a baby I had started like that and it now has 4 pitchers on it ,, discovered another one today!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
My plant has been growing really nicely in its outdoor spot this summer, but hasn't put out any pitchers yet. I was starting to get a bit disappointed, but when I looked at the date from last year when the pitchers were fully grown it was a month away from now, so I guess I need to be more patient.

I wanted to show Diane how much it's grown in a year.
I've actually taken a cutting during the winter and it finally has roots, so I need to pot that up sometime soon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
WOWWWW That looks great Lynne GOOD Job clap clap She is so healthy!! Don't forget the superthrive,, or use a egg wash which is
6 egg shells and one gallon of warm water and the sun for 7 days,

break up shells place on a cookie sheet ,, in preheated oven @ 315 degrees for approx 10 minutes,, only allow the shells to get a light light brown,,
Place the shells in an empty gallon milk jug ,fill with warm water place the lid on and set the out in the sun for one full week,, * don't worry the water won't smell* and water your pitcher,

House plants love it as their first nourishment drink of the spring, and Pitcher plants love it too,, give to pitcher plants every three months if possible especially in the spring,, and beginning of summer,, and when you repot( repotting should only occur in the spring,, as they don't like their roots disturbed or sudden changes in humidity,,,,,, they prefer at least 70% humidity in the house so if you have a sunny window in the bathroom or kitchen,, those rooms are the best house location,, IF you don't have a choice but to place else where,, then mist daily with Distilled water only and well as using distilled water for watering the plant,, Pitcher plants require reverse osmosis in their watering needs, * just a note for those interested in starting growing pitcher plants,* :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
these are awesome! they eat insects? is this a plant you can find seeds for easily, like at a feed store or something?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
it;s very difficult to start from seed I don't even know of seeds for this particular pitcher plants,, although there are many carnivores plants that do give off seeds, I've always started from a cutting,, rooted in distilled water or vermiculite, Yes it eats insects,, insects go in the pitcher and as it trys to crawl back out the neck of the pitcher has fine sticky hairs the insect gets stuck in, the more it struggles the more stuck it gets and, it loves crickets,,( notme lol ),, Oh Btw Lynne next time you have pitchers on your plant go to petsmart and get medium sized crickets and feed the pitchers,, it will promote more pitchers,,,,, come onnnnnnnnn you can do it,, :haha haha
Cricket I have started many pitchers with cuttings,, I sent this one to Lynne and a couple of other members here,, and they have succeeded in growing them,, Lynne has since started a cutting of her own, clap

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
It eats crickets???? yikes
then I should keep my fingers away! yikes
Is it difficult to ship cuttings?...costly?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts

lol lol yeah keep your fingers out of them shock

One shouldn't touch the insides of pitchers anyway because of the oils on your skin,, isn't good for the pitchers, Don't know why,, just what I read on several info sites, when I was studying care for them.

No it's not difficult to ship and not any more costly then any other starter plant,, it is better to ship a cutting after it's been rooted tho,, pitchers are very sensitive to trauma,, and you wouldn't want to lose a cutting ( it will turn black) due to shock on top of being dark packaging for a few days boohoo

I tell you one thing tho,,,,,,, when you have a pitcher plant full of pitchers it's certainly is a conversation piece when company is over, :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks for the info on the egg shell food, Diane. I'll get on that just as soon as someone in this house eats some eggs. I guess because we all have high cholesterol, we don't eat them very often at all.

I just remembered that I need to show Brian's friend this plant when they all return from the wedding they went to up in Boston, on Monday. When they were in college this friend had an entire room in the house they shared chock full of carnivorous plants!!! He even had a large terrarium (aquarium) full of them - they were all so healthy and he was obsessed with them. Now that he works for the government on Navy ships he can't grow them anymore. (nope, he's not in the Navy)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
where do you hang it in the winter?

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
So sorry Sheri I didn't see your question,, In the Winter I place mine in the kitchen window only because when I do dishes it gets the humidity and it's a constant reminder to mist with distilled water in the mornings, they really need at least 73% humidity or at least they prefer it,, while others would hand in there bathrooms for the humidity factor,, Basically you can hang anywhere as long as you provide it humidity and indirect sun thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
This is the last of all the starters ,, I've given all but this one away,, I think I'll keep this one! :wink:

cactus%20and%20succulents/DSCF0004.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
diane, they had these at home depot yesterday, but i ran out of $$$ boohoo i think one on a hook over my pond would be perfect! will try to get one after the next round of mark downs.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
[Linked Image]

Longest pitcher is 13" long x 5 &3/8's
largest leaf is 18 "
top to bottom pitcher is 3 foot,,,,

mannnnnnnn where will I hang this inside this winter,, shock

I love this plant!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
There's the blue pot. I love that. What kind of hook do you have that beautiful pitcher plant hanging on? You find the coolest stuff.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
sheri I just pounded a nail in the tree and hooked it into the hole on the back of the pot I think it was supposed to be the drain hole as I believe it was designed to lay flat,, But I put in on the tree instead LOL

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Tom R I see you where have you been???? wavy

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by angelblossom
Tom R I see you where have you been???? wavy

wavy

I am on numerous gardening forums so I try to spread the love!

kissie

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by TomR
...so I try to spread the love!

kissie

well, your love has been missed here!

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Well you guys this is the last start off my original Pitcher plant from a couple of years ago,, . this is in 4 " pot believe it not it is suppose to freeze here tonight so I had to bring it inside

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup nice. diane you do have a way with them.

Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Very nice! I never noticed until this picture that the stems of the pitchers come from the tip of the leaves!!! Man all of those parts, leaf ends, stem, and pitchers are strong!!!! Great photo too!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Yep they grow from the tips of the leaves,, when they dry up you just cut them off but those leaves won't put out new pitchers but the other leaves will.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
That looks so healthy and terrific Diane!
I wish some of mine would grow some pitchers this year already - they all have the beginnings, but nothing developes from them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Did you ever give them a drink of super thrive?? notme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Does anyone have any starts they would share wth me?

No one wants to share a start with me?

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Diane - I don't have any pitcher plants left unfortunately they all bit the dust. I did give them as much love as I could though.

Your cereus is interesting - the main cuttings are still in my bedroom in a NE window and haven't grown a bit since I put them there - I just was able to purchase Superthrive so I am feeding them with each watering. However, last spring the pot got knocked over and 2 small pieces broke off. I potted them up, and had them outside on my front porch all summer and they are back there now - there is a small new leaf on top of one of the cuttings. Hopefully Superthrive will encourage it to grow more this year - I'd love to have a flower some day!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Me want one too

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by TomR
...so I try to spread the love!

kissie

well, your love has been missed here!

Awwwww [blush!] Thanks!

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
nono nono

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
I order me a pitcher plant and should be getting it next week but how do you care for one and will they grow in the house had one before and it die on me/ do you fee them in the winter time indoors and if so do you drop a insect in each pitcher? Thanks

Originally Posted by ladystressout
I order me a pitcher plant and should be getting it next week but how do you care for one and will they grow in the house had one before and it die on me/ do you fee them in the winter time indoors and if so do you drop a insect in each pitcher? Thanks

If you mean a NEPENTHES then yes, they grow great indoors. A bright south or west window is perfect. Keep the soil moist at all time using rainwater or distilled water ONLY. NO TAP WATER. I the spring to initiate pitchers water with fertilizer at 1/4 strength.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image