Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hello Everyone, I am a newbie here and am anxious to see and hear all the new things about gardening! Right now we reside in an apartment which limits our gardening options but we still manage to have a number of potted plants everywhere! About 6 months ago I was reading about how you can grow an avocado plant from seed, we eat a huge amount of avocado in our house so I thought this would be a fun experiment to do!

One evening my finance and I began the process with two Hass Avocados by poking them with toothpicks and placing them in a glass of water in a sunny windowsill. After about 6 weeks they began growing roots and eventually began sprouting from the top so we transplanted them into soil (as suggested)...

this is what we have now...and remember these two plants followed the same course and were planted the same exact time...why do they look so different?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mySnYfuouluU6rJ36mQvugDHalGLTdp8hID0f2MHFnY?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DJXsAKthEqYpKY2SzNEiawDHalGLTdp8hID0f2MHFnY?feat=directlink

is it possible that the first one could be 'poly-embryonic' and produce one day?? Thank you for any response!

We are proud of our little avocado seeds and want to take care until they become trees one day!! grin

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, Frannie. I am not sure what the differences in your little trees actually are. I have had both kinds grow from seeds. They have all turned out looking alike in the end, for me. I thought maybe one was a male and one a female. Or the avocados were pollinated by a different type of tree. I just don't know.
Good luck with your babies.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
Thanks for your response, Tina! I know...I am baffled by it...I have done tons of research to try and figure out what or why it is growing this way, and all I can find is that it is 'poly-embryonic' meaning that it resembles the parent, so if that is the case, then I sure hope it produces! hehe:)

I will continue to research because I am determined!

Thanks again:)

Happy Gardening!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image