Print Thread
Rate Thread
#358893 Jul 20th, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Offline
Frogger
40k Posts
I majorly pruned (which should have been done much sooner)
my prickely pear

So now, I have lots of pads to give away once they scab over. I kept enough for me to re-plant much of the area, and for me to give away.

If anyone is interested, PM me your address...

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #358897 Jul 21st, 2012 at 02:11 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts

Carol - Just wondering why you needed to prune them? Do you not like when they grow "ears" on top? I only prune mine back when they are either growing onto the walkway next to that garden, or onto the grass on the other side. Or if they get top heavy with too many pieces on top.

By the way, they make very nice container plants and are very forgiving in this especially hot and dry summer we are having this year. They will winter over in containers here in zone 6 as well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #358898 Jul 21st, 2012 at 03:08 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Offline
Frogger
40k Posts
Lynne:
since I had not kept a proper reign on them over the years, they had gotten too big & floppy for lack of a better description. The bottom base of some were more than an inch thick.
---many were schriveled up & dried so they had to go as well. The reason I began now is they were so tall that they were leaning against the A/C unit in such a way that Rod was concerned that they were blocking the unit's air flow.

So, I kept a lot of the tops that were a nice size so I can replant the area. I took out all but one huge one in the corner next to the deck.

About the container--thanks for that info---I have one pad a pot now---but I need to move it as it gets too much water--(I added a dwarf angelonia to the same pot) So when I do that I will add a few "friends" from 'cuttings.

Thanks for the info.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image