Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#358504 Jul 5th, 2012 at 03:55 AM
OP Offline
This am while working in the garden, I noticed something had been munching on my Spiderworts. Then I noticed a hole in the ground about 6 inches away. My DH came out and we put the hose down the hole and watered it for a while, I think he was hoping we would see water come up somewhere else. After a short time I was putting the hose away and caught some movement out of the corner of my eye, and noticed another hole in the ground, looked at the hole and definately saw movement. (this was about 15 feet away from the first hole) Then I found a few more holes. So I've been reading about voles, moles and field mice for a while and looked over some past posts from this forum. I read that moles are carnivorous and wouldn't be eating the flowers. So would it be save to assume it is voles or mice? My DH said it could be rabbits eating the spiderworts, but the plants that have been eaten are at the back of the group and the hole is too small for rabbits. If it were rabbits I would think they would start at the front...easier to get to???? In one of the posts I had read you could move them out by pouring amonia around the holes, but I would just as soon get rid of them, not send them to the neighbors. Any help any one can give me will be greatly appriciated. I don't have any pets that I would need to be concerned about.

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
fabrictodyefor #358505 Jul 5th, 2012 at 06:09 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
There are mole and vole poisons available. You need to be careful with pets. There are mole and vole traps. There are things to burn in the holes that will smoke them out much like traffic flares. Or traffic flares themselves. These may kill off nearby plants and leave a strong sulphur smell for a while.
The ammonia trick is something I learned from my grandmother. It is cheap and non-lethal to plants and all animals stay away from it. I pour it directly into the holes of critters and eventually they are so uncomfortable they move away. But I prefer lethal means where it will work away from pets. There is never just one. It is almost always a growing family.
My gophers are vegetarian and have favorites. My moles are carnivorous but they dig up plants in multitudes looking for worms and such. My ground squirrels are omnivorous and seem to chew up things just to be destructive. Rabbits are herbivores and eat constantly. All of them multiply like, well, bunnies.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #358508 Jul 5th, 2012 at 10:27 AM
OP Offline
Thanks, Tina, we had decided to head to town tomorrow and see what we could find.

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
fabrictodyefor #358533 Jul 6th, 2012 at 09:19 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
And I am wondering what you came up with?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #358555 Jul 7th, 2012 at 12:03 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Tina
And I am wondering what you came up with?

So we did buy those flare like things and set them off in 2 of the holes we found and covered up the other holes to keep the gas under ground. I hope it works! I'll check every day and am hoping not to find any more holes and maybe my Spiderwort will recover! Thanks for the help

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
fabrictodyefor #358559 Jul 7th, 2012 at 12:32 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I hope they work for you. They are certainly fun if nothing else.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image