Print Thread
Rate Thread
#357911 Jun 14th, 2012 at 06:34 AM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I bought some at Walmart several weeks ago... two pots. They were just beautiful, but since planting them in the ground they have declined. They are drooping toward the ground like they are top heavy. They had some new buds on them, so I was happy to see that, but they didn't bloom. Instead the buds dried out. I water these every other day, and the plants themselves look healthy, other than the falling toward the ground like they are top heavy. Suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you! kissie

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Do these get any shade? Mine need at least part shade in our heat to really do their best. And lots of water.
But it sounds like your may have a little transplant shock. I think I would cut off the bloom stalk and hope for re-blooming. The secondary stalks are usually slightly shorter and lighter but still lovely. And mine reseed too.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Because of their height, foxgloves may tend to droop under their own weight. You can help support them by tying them to a stake or by straightening a clothes hanger, inserting the straight end into the ground, and wrapping the hook around the plant to hold it up straight.

When the flowers begin to fade, cut the spike from the foliage. This will encourage new shoots from the sides. Plant them in partial to mostly shade in rich, well-drained soil. Because they grow to a height of two to six feet, locate foxglove in the back of your flower garden.

Keep them watered and weeded during their first year of growth. Because they're biennials, they won't flower until their second year. When the leaves die down in fall, cover the base of the plants with fallen leaves or hay.

Last edited by Jean_Smith; Jun 14th, 2012 at 05:42 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image