Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by fabrictodyefor
I enjoyed reading back over this topic,,,my favorite!

The "suckers" I snip off of tomatos: Look at your hand and the space between your thumb and finger, if a branch starts to grow in that type of area on my tomato plant I snip it off. But it might not work for all types of tomatos! Last year I did not do this and my plants were over 7 ft tall and very spindly. So this year I began snipping early and my plants are still very big, but "heftier". I do have mini green tomatoes, but it will be a while yet before I get ripe tomatoes!

yep I do that too (well some years I do) I was thinking last night as I watered, that it was time to tie my plants up again & to get rid of some of the suckers.
---I did remove a few larger "suckers" last night though---
I think tonight instead of watering, I will do all of that.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I like this topic too. I'm not doing anything in the garden today but I am sitting here printing cutting out seed packets for future use. I used up the last of my supply last night packaging up my bell pepper seeds. I should have a couple of different seeds this comming year. Now huge but a few anyway. I still have about 1/3 of the yard to cut. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get it done.

[Linked Image]
So, a couple weeks ago I bought a new soaker hose, could not find any like I already had, that would have been too easy. The new soaker hose screwed into another soaker hose. So the other day I notice, while it was watering that the second hose was not putting out near enough water, the new hose spewing out too strongly and not letting water go through. So I thought to hook the second hose up direct....that was when the trouble started....to make a long story short, 2 hours later and several different splitters and one 5 hose end manifold later, all my beds are getting enough water! So had to come in and take a shower to get the dirt and sand off so I can get to work! My DH is gone and he is the mechanical one, so I'm pretty happy I got it all to work without water flooding the paths instead of getting into the beds!

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I am constantly repairing and redoing water systems and hoses. I use the soaker hoses and the critters come along and chew holes for a drink. So new ones every year. I use a lot of micro-sprinklers. Those water hillsides and cliffs better than other types without washing them away. Critters like those too. Plus just the contrasting heat and cold that messes with them. Most of my pipes are PVC. I can also repair those. It sure keeps life interesting.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I walked around an took photos today.. Suprised by Lilys opening so pretty.

[Linked Image]
lilys
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
petunia from seeds I grew
[Linked Image]
Lemon flufff.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b389/Racetowom/dbc888dd.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b389/Racetowom/456dd1e1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b389/Racetowom/dc002ec6.jpg[/img]
beas me?
[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b389/Racetowom/3a732bc6.jpg[/img]
touche up

Last edited by dodge; Jun 22nd, 2012 at 10:40 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
beautiful, Dodge, just beautiful!

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Thanks fabrictodiefor,

Thanks alot for looking in .. An all the fine comments.This is a beautiful time of the year.
At last.

;o)

dodge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
dodge, your flowers are beautiful!

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Yes dodge, they are beautiful..

________

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Thanks Carol an d sheri..Long time no see

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Today was a busy morning. I managed to cut the rest of the front lawn. And I cut the south side lawn. I transplanted the zinnia that were crowding the peach miniature rose. And I weeded the sidewalk flower bed. So I'm feeling pretty good about it all. I also planted seeds for Red Salvia Coccinea and African Daisy. We'll see how those go. I haven't had much luck with seeds this year but then they are a couple of years old. I just have had a hard time keeping up with everything since moving here.

[Linked Image]
Yikes and was that all before breakfast??? clap

I too had a busy morning. I decided I needed to put the shade cloth up in the greenhouse. so got that done and since my DH is visiting his family in TX, I managed to get it clamped up there by myself bow Then I noticed those awful spider mites that I had last year invade my peas. Well they are at it again. So mixed up the neem oil spray and saturated those plants. Now I know what I am going to be doing first thing in the morning for the next week. I've been checking every day, so hopefully this year I'll be able to stay on top of those pesky things! Also had to pull 3 of my leaf lettuce plants, it looked like they were thinking of bolting. I can't complain, I've been pulling leaves off of those plants for at least a month.

Have a great Sunday flwr

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Well I'm up early this morning and after my coffee I plan to head out into the garden. So the only thing I've done this morning is plant some more bunching onions in the container. Hopefully at some point I'll be able to get those going.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Ok I dug out the weeds in the foundation bed on the left of the door. It's a small bed but I accidently brought deadneedle home in a flower I bought and I've been fighting it spreading every since. Then I staked the gladiolus that i didn't know i had. Two broke before I could get to them and they are now adorning my dinningroom table. Nice deep red ones. I wanted to move the grass from the birdbath flowerbed too but I ran out of steam. Maybe tomorrow.

[Linked Image]
It was such a nice morning, I decided to work outside for a change. We only hit about 90, rather than in the hundreds. Was able to get the last of my flower seedlings planted and completely turned over my compost. Sprayed the neem oil, the peas seem to be doing ok with the spider mites, but now my broccoli, outside, has aphids. Found that a few day ago, and been spraying twice a day, and they have definately dwindled, but still saw a few today. Thinned my carrots, and ate those yummy baby ones at lunch. Also pulled a cauliflower and even though some the pea plants look a little yellowed, they are still producing lots of peas! And before I knew it, it was noon and getting hot outside! But it was sure nice while it lasted.

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
My lettuce has been long gone. Just too hot.

Today I brought in some great looking big tomatoes, some cukes, squash, and a few cherry tomatoes.

Is it too hot in NC to plant cauliflower?

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
tonight (after 8pm, I watered (a lot). Plus, I built up my moats for the tomatoes so I could water them better, and I waterd the rest of the veggie garden. Then I watered my potted plants and I watered my flower garden. Then, I deadheaded some flowers.

plus I found out that Japanese Beetles like Echinacea but do not like Galliardia... egad
so I killed me seversal J. Beetles hifive

________

Originally Posted by Bestofour
My lettuce has been long gone. Just too hot.

Today I brought in some great looking big tomatoes, some cukes, squash, and a few cherry tomatoes.

Is it too hot in NC to plant cauliflower?

I'm jealous about the tomatoes, I only have green ones, but at least they are starting to come on! I am not sure what your temps are like in NC, but I would think cauliflower might be a winter crop there, maybe not dead of winter, but you might be able to start in like Sept? I have some broccoli and cauliflower outside yet, and I think they are still growing, if slowly, but we don't normally have 100+ temperatures in June. All cabbage family like it to be cool. In the spring I would plant when you plant your lettuce and peas. Last year we had a late freeze and it got down to 20 in my greenhouse, I had broccoli and cauliflower plants that were probably 12" hight and it didn't seem to bother them! I was surprised and very pleased. This year I plan on starting some seeds in my seedling room July 15 in hopes of planting good starter plants around Sept 1 and maybe get sa crop Oct 15-30. It will be an interesting experiment.

dug out a few potatoes yesterday!!

I'm already tired of bugs! But mine are are the little pesky type, mites and aphids boohoo

Happy gardening flwr

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Well the tornado last night went through the garden. It's not looking so good at the moment. I was able to stand up the tomato cages and they are all still rooted but they look sort of pitiful.

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I am very glad that you still have a house, Sheri. A garden can be fixed. Did it mess with your greenhouse?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OMG SHERI

GOD BLESS YOU, SO GLAD YOUR FINE AN HUBBY TOO. THINGS CAN BE REPLACE NOT FOLKS........
LMK IF YOU NEED ANYTHING.
YOU PAL, DODGE

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
OM Goodness.
So glad that you and yours are ok, Sheri---"things" can be replaced----so glad that your people are ok---

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
kissie Sheri...so discouraging.

I spent the day yesterday weeding everything, mowing the lawn and hoeing up the garden. We finally got one day without rain. The rain has caused a lot of grubs to gather..my poor bean pod plants were hit hard. I replanted some more.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Sheri, so glad you are ok, but I can't imagine how discourage you must feel about your garden.

I harvested my potatos the other day, about 35 lbs. It was early, but I have bigger potatoes than I did last year. I've decided to try another crop of potatoes!?! I still have 3 months in the green house. they should make in that time??

I made pickled cabbage yesterday as I had 3 heads of purple cabbage that were ready all at the same time, even though they were planted weeks apart. I've never made pickled cabbage before, I'll find out today if I like it! Had to pull my sugar snap peas as the spider mites were winning tears and I am hoping to keep them off my beans. It is so hot and dry here I have gone to watering every day!

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
So I planted potatoes yesterday, we'll see if they make! Pulled a head of broccoli and one of cauliflower. I'm kind of surprised they are still alive with all the heat we have had! Also put in some beet seeds where I pulled the sugar snap peas. I have green tomatoes, I sure wish they would ripen!

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
It is funny to read what you are growing and harvesting there. My seasons would be all twisted from yours. I would be planting broccoli, peas and other cool weather crops in the fall or midwinter. They would all bolt by the end of spring here. And simply fry or not grow in summer. If I grow tomatoes, I have to shade them.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
10k Posts
10k Posts
old I pulled lots and lots of weeds today, and pressure washed Cindy's BIG blue rock.

kilroy I had to water today for the first time this year....

teach Thousands of Foxglove plants grow at Cedar Hill every year, but I have never grown one that achieved this size (or even saw one).

Foxgloves are biennial plants, but this lady is 3 years old.
Her tallest spike (of her 59 flower spikes) is 8½ feet tall!

I wonder what the record is why

[Linked Image]

10k Posts
10k Posts
Originally Posted by Bill

Her tallest spike (of her 59 flower spikes) is 8½ feet tall!

I wonder what the record is? why

According to Guinness World Records in 1997, Lydia Foy grew a foxglove measuring a height of 3.29 m (10ft 10in) in her garden at County Kildare, Ireland

Maybe mine will still get taller, but she is getting tired...

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Very cool Mr Bill

We can see its taller than the 6 ft fence there. All looks good there.

Thanks for sharing the photo. Hope Cindy sees a clean rock

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Wonderful!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Beautiful, Bill !!!

Personally, I don't really want to see my water bill this month.

________

10k Posts
10k Posts
Personally, I don't really want to see my water bill this month.

I'm using swimming pool water for the garden. The well for the house is spring fed, so no water bills here, but sometimes I run out!

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Thats good Mr Bill

I have my own well with a submersible pump at the bottom.. Hope not to run out.

I use all I want

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
when we lived at "The farm" we had several wells.

one was hooked up to the house & 2 were not. One of the 2 I used for the garden (my DH had made me a pump to use a hose with)--it wasn't good for much else as Rod's great Uncle had put in the septic tank really close to the old well.

I dont like that about living in town---free water was nice---and the well was so deep that we never ran out

________

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Sounds like you misss country??
i am still on mine. Leased the land to a honest friend he is farming it .. I am loving it .

Just enjoy the yard a garden an I take the tractor an mow the pasture.. I pretend I am HD .
Neighbors get a chuckle of it. My brothers an nephews an sister do come by an we have fun an they help me solve problems.
Not the same, but I cant go back, just forward.
Peaceful up here on the hill
dodge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Beautiful foxgloves, Bill. That is another flower on my wish list. I got my lupines this year, maybe next year.

I am going to hate my water bill tears But I don't pamper my self in other ways, I don't go have my nails done, I cut my own hair, I don't do "spas" and I hate to shop. So I may get a hitch in my breath when I see the water bill, but I love flowers and vegies so I try not to complain too much!

Originally Posted by Tina
It is funny to read what you are growing and harvesting there. My seasons would be all twisted from yours. I would be planting broccoli, peas and other cool weather crops in the fall or midwinter. They would all bolt by the end of spring here. And simply fry or not grow in summer. If I grow tomatoes, I have to shade them.

This summer has been a challenge though. I plan my cabbage family to be done by the end of June, that is usually before we get very hot, but we were in triple didgets for a week! I did cover my broccoli and cauliflower plants during the heat of the day. I wasn't sure they were going to make it! I also have a shade cloth for my green house that went up a lot earlier this year. I love broccoli and cauliflower so I was going to start some seeds the middle of July so as to plant them in the greenhouse in September. Not sure if that will work, but I thought I would give it a try! We are a zone 3 here. And there have been winters that we have gone days, and days and not gotten above 0!

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I used to have foxglove. I need to try it again. It's so beautiful.

Another tornado hit us and messed up what I had cleaned up in the garden. The tomato plants are still producing and the potatoes are still underground but the rest of the stuff has blown away with the wind.

My sweet little dogwood tree is a goner now too.

One tornado on Sunday and one on Thursday. I hope we've had our share for a while.

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I am sorry, Sheri. hope they are done with you also.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Originally Posted by Tina
I am sorry, Sheri. hope they are done with you also.

ditto, Sheri, prayers

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Bill, that is amazing...so sorry Sheri kissie

It rains here everyday so nothing is getting done garden wise rolz

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image