Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I started planting on this end of the house, and then ended up going to the opposite end and doing more planting and adding mulch. I haven't made it to this end with the weed barrier and mulch yet.. hopefully soon. I have a small fortune in mulch already. :wink: I haven't decided if I want it to be overgrown and lush, or sparse and orderly. Once I add pictures of the other end, with the mulch and all, you guys can share your opinions.

[Linked Image]

This is the right side of the back, facing it.. obviously. I planted 3 Hostas and added a solar light behind each one, and on the very corner, pic below, is a fern of some sort I saved from a very weed infested area under a tree out front.

[Linked Image]

Picture of the fern I dug up. It looks pretty shaggy right now, but I am hoping it will fill out without all the weeds to compete with.

[Linked Image]

This is one of my shepherd's hooks. It holds a red and purple Fuchsia and my Hummingbird feeder.

Last edited by Pinkhorseofcourse; Jun 5th, 2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Adding more
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
It looks like a very good start, Jennifer. On the lush or orderly, I went for jungle lush. I keep telling people that when it is all overgrown and neglected, it still looks like it is supposed to be like that. Keeping formal shrubs and edges and stuff is a lot of work. So when the growth begins to slap me in the face or grab my hair, I hack it back.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Great start...

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
With me, it depends on where yoiu look---some i s orderly & some is hap-hazard. I say do what makes you happy...
Lookin' good right now....

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Lookin great applaud I am orderly in my vegie garden, but flowers just get planted, I hope for the best and I try and weed every now and then! My work life is structured enough, gotta let go of my OCD sometimes zoink

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
[Linked Image]

Here is the far left of the backside of the house. I have 3 Hostas planted around the AC unit and a Crazy Daisy closer to the steps. There are also 2 Black Eye Susan Vines sitting there that need to be planted by my mailbox. Along with another shepherd's hook holding a basket and my wind chimes.

[Linked Image]

This is the center of the back, there are 3 Hostas and a Boogie Woogie Astilbe... and the trash can. I hated to put the trash can there and ruin the effect, but I don't have many places I can put it, and it is just so convenient there. We'll see if it stays I guess.

[Linked Image]

Another pic of the shepherd's hook and TC, 'The Cat', supervising. =) I'm thinking of moving the Crazy Daisy from behind the shepherd's hook, and putting a hose reel there... but I have 2 hoses.. so I don't know how that would work. I just hate the look of the hoses, but not sure what else to do.

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
[Linked Image]

A little bench I bought at a local greenhouse. Perfect for my Violas. The ones on the left got smashed.. I think one of the cats thought it was a comfy bed.

[Linked Image]

Another bench I have had for ages.. I just hung an old grapevine wreath on it.. I can't wait to get this area mulched.

[Linked Image]

A few things we got over the weekend that still need planted.. stuff for my Red White and Blue area finally... and a Martha Washington Regal Geranium, I have close ups of it for later, and a couple perennials we got off the clearance cart at Lowe's, $2 each.

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
[Linked Image]

The Martha Washington Geranium.. I thought this was so beautiful, I just couldn't pass it up.

[Linked Image]

I think I am going to put the little Red White and Blue plants here.

[Linked Image]

The pin cushions, (I think that's what they are called), we got at Lowe's for $2 each.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Looking really good, Jennifer.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Pinkhorseofcourse

[Linked Image]

Another pic of the shepherd's hook and TC, 'The Cat', supervising. =) I'm thinking of moving the Crazy Daisy from behind the shepherd's hook, and putting a hose reel there... but I have 2 hoses.. so I don't know how that would work. I just hate the look of the hoses, but not sure what else to do.

Jenn--put the hoses there--once they are there it will be all good----and convienence counts for something, right ???

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Foundation planting is so exciting...it's so great to watch it fill in over the years.

[Linked Image]

A little bench I bought at a local greenhouse. Perfect for my Violas. The ones on the left got smashed.. I think one of the cats thought it was a comfy bed.

I LOVE that! I may have to put a bug in my DH's ear, after all he is retiring and I have to find things for him to do, right?

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by fabrictodyefor

I LOVE that! I may have to put a bug in my DH's ear, after all he is retiring and I have to find things for him to do, right?

why yes, as a matter of fact you sure do---good idea there--- thumbup

________

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl

[Linked Image]

Jenn--put the hoses there--once they are there it will be all good----and convienence counts for something, right ???

I think you are right! I have no idea where else I would put them.. I wonder if I can find a double hose reel... Right now I just leave the hoses out because I am constantly watering something. I'm hoping once things get established a little more I can cut back on the water unless it gets really dry.

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunflowers
Foundation planting is so exciting...it's so great to watch it fill in over the years.

I know! I have always wanted Hostas, but didn't want to bother doing too much permanent at the old mobile home because I knew I would be moving eventually. NOW the fun begins!!

The only bad thing... I want to build a deck, so I know I won't have all that open area along the back of the house forever.. but I am not sure when the deck project will happen, so I am making it pretty for now. I will definitely be digging up my Hostas and other plants once the time comes. =)

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
[Linked Image]

Bobbie, just let me know if you want better pics of it.. I can take the violas off of it.. it is really cute, it has little bird houses on the back of it, I don't know if you can tell in the picture.

I need to practice taking pictures. I tend to get too far away from my subject. I need to fill the screen more. =)

Edited: I guess you can see the birdhouses if you click on the picture in the forums and check out the full size version. :wink:

Last edited by Pinkhorseofcourse; Jun 8th, 2012 at 04:34 AM.
Thanks, I didn't notice the birdhouses until you pointed them out!! It would look so good with the 6 birdhouses I already have in my yard grin

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thanks, I didn't notice the birdhouses until you pointed them out!! It would look so good with the 6 birdhouses I already have in my yard grin

There you go! A perfect addition to your yard... time to tell DH. :wink:

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Very pretty.

hmm nice work, i like that light in the garden which you install on the ground. but all other designs are also looking great. thanks for sharing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image