Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#357518 Jun 4th, 2012 at 09:45 PM
OP Offline
Hey I'm new to gardening and bought this plant a couple of weeks ago, it faces a southerly window, so it doesn't get a huge amount of light

1. Can I/Should I pluck the yellow leaf straight of? or leave it on until it falls of, dies etc.

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s489/thomsa11/54a8183a.jpg

2. Is this the right way or is there a better way of watering it?

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s489/thomsa11/54a8183a.jpg

3. I have only had this plant for 3 weeks, will it be to shocked if i repot it? do i need to repot it?

4. Are these marks made by bugs or some pest that i need to treat the plant for? and if so what should i use?

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s489/thomsa11/1e64cd28.jpg
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s489/thomsa11/6439c8cd.jpg

Thanks!!

thomsa11 #357619 Jun 7th, 2012 at 03:28 AM
1. Cut the yellow leaf off at the soil line. It will never fall off by itself, and it's ugly, so why leave it.
2. I guess you're talking about the water in the clear plastic liner. First, dump it out, then let the plant drain for a few hours - you can leave it in the liner - dump it again, and continue until you have no more than 1/4" water in the liner. Now let the plant's soil dry out - we call it aerating - until the leaves just begin to bend down on their stems. This is how peacelilies tell you they want more water. Water it slowly until you have 1/4" in the bottom of the liner, and she should be good for a week or so. Peacelilies will die if their roots are kept too wet, but they're good plants for beginners, because those bending leaves tell you right away what's going on. You can learn about how the soil should feel by digging up a little with a spoon, and squeezing it between your fingers. Try it when the soil is very wet, like it is now, and a week from now, and when the
leaves start to wilt; also try the soil on the surface, and deeper into the pot.
3. Don't repot it. Its grower has given it good soil and fertilizer. You don't have to repot at all, until it gets too big for the pot. Instead, get an attractive container that will hold plant,grow-pot, and liner, and set your peacelily into it. You can put some spanish moss on top to cover up the grow-pot and make it extra beautiful.
4. 1st shot: It's a little hard to tell from the photo. Try to wipe it off with a damp cloth. If it wipes off, its probably just a little debris that got in before the leaf opened, if it doesnt it could be a bit of chemical residue - at any rate, it's not any of the common pests.
2nd shot: These are common marks, can be chemical burn, fungus, even bacteria, but unless it starts appearing all over the plant, not to worry.
P.S. South window is generally considered good light, unless it's shaded by trees, etc. Your Peacelily should be able to make lots of beautiful flowers.

OP Offline
Thanks a lot! really helps!!

thomsa11 #357923 Jun 14th, 2012 at 05:22 PM
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Some of the lower leaves may yellow and need to be removed.

The main care requirement for your Peace lily is water. This plant requires heavy watering, but you must allow the soil to dry out in-between watering to a point as well. This houseplant will let you know when it needs water. The leaves will begin to droop. Allowing the foliage to droop slightly in-between watering has turned out to be successful for me. However, do not let it droop severely. Once the plant is watered the foliage will spring back up. If you allowed it to dry out too much, some of the lower leaves may yellow and need to be removed.

Repot the peace lily every spring into the next size pot until the plant is in an 8- to 10-inch pot. The roots of a lily will fill their pot in 1 year, but do not usually require a pot larger than 10 inches.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image