Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Nice to see Merme back with us kissie

Cold and rainy today..running out of things to do in the house. I have painting to do outside but Mother Nature just won't cooperate.

Tina..do you have a lot of fruit trees and such where you can just go pick what you want? Like in abandoned areas and friendly neighbors...

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning.
There are fruit trees available here. I have a few that the critters have allowed, orange, lemon and kumquat. A couple of fig trees that put out totally tasteless fruit. I have fruiting mulberry and loquat and elderberry trees. My peaches, apricots and plums were killed by critters. I do have nice neighbors that manage to grow fruits and vegetables too. And they share. California is a heavy duty agricultural state.
Mostly when I go into a store and see the prices, I feel sorry for other people who do not have such easy access. And it is a reminder of the state of the economy in general. So I get saddened.
This morning I am going to go get new tires put on my van. If my store has them in stock. I'm not waiting around for them to get them from other stores. If they don't, I'll have them order them and come back another time. It is to push triple digits today. I don't want to be out in it.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Wow, what a variety. I was wondering about that yesterday when I was buying apples at $1 a piece. uhuhh Then I thought about you even more when I had to pay $4 for a small green pepper. lol

You send me some fruit and I'll send you some cool weather..high of 46*F here today haha

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts

Good morning... coffee
wow I feel good now about paying $2.50 for a 1 pound box of Strawberries, & 69 cents for a green pepper. But I was at a farm stand & that makes a bit of difference, I must say.

cool today, it was supposed top rain or storm but now my computer is saying clear but cool (62*F) for me today---

this weather is crazy any more---in the high 80's one day & in the low 60's the next---I think we have really done a number on the planet... why

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I'll definitely be freezing up lots of veggies this year.I am going to borrow my moms vacuum sealer, she says you can use ordinary freezer bags with it...hope so.

Not one of my green pepper seeds germinated..and I planted 12 containers over two weeks ago.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes it is a pretty variety. I do eat all of the naval oranges. I don't like harvesting the kumquats because they are so pretty on the little tree. I have more year-round meyer's lemons than I can use and share bunches. I really don't eat the loquats, elderberries or mulberries. Those are left for the birds mostly. They are more work to harvest and use or freeze than they are worth. I am not into wine. rolz But knowing they are there if I fall onto very hard times is nice.
I also have studied the natural plant life for what is edible. There is a lot out there if you know what to look for. Some is delicious and some passable. This fall I want to put in a lot of onions, leeks, garlic and such. Those will grow and produce all winter/spring and the animals leave it alone for the most part.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Oh, and no tires this morning. All they had in-store were low end ones. I really want better ones so they ordered them from other stores. It will be another early morning going to get those put on tomorrow.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Originally Posted by Tina
I have never had dandelion greens. I've thought about it.

Me, too....I bet I can come up with enough dandelions for a big mess of them for all of us!

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by afgreyparrot
Originally Posted by Tina
I have never had dandelion greens. I've thought about it.

Me, too....I bet I can come up with enough dandelions for a big mess of them for all of us!

cut them with about 1/4 inch (or a bit less) of root--& wash well---the smaller the better----I may have to go out & try a bowl for me tomorrow idea

________

Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
So...you cut the top part off...right? I really want to try this.

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
So...you cut the top part off...right? I really want to try this.

oops so sorry, blush nope not at all--you DONT just harvest the root or the lose leaves either--

you take the whole green part, all the way to about 1/4 of the root--so you would have all the green leaves attached. Is that clearer ?? THAT is what you eat. Daddy only did this in the spring---so NO flowers or such---just the greens of it

________

Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
I think I might be too late for this.....they all have flowers for like one day then those big poofy balls of seeds on top..

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yea I guess you are right,---I so wish my dad were here, so I could find out if we could still try it why

we need to be on top of this for next spring I guess

________

Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
I will ask my neighbor tomorrow....she will show me. She brought me a mess of poke sallet she cooked up the other day....she walks around the neighborhood and picks poke out of fence lines, yards, etc. Man, it was good eatin'!

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yes do ask your neighbor---my dad did not call it dandeloin greens when he would pick it, but that is what is really was----hopefully your neighbor will know.
so glad that you have someone we can ask--- applaud

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Good morning all...sun is finally shining after a week of rain. Lots to do out there today.

Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Good morning.
I was all exited last night because I thought I was going to get to stay home all day today...forgot I have a stupid appointment for my 'blood-letting' at the hematologist. I don't want to go... boohoo ...but it feels so good to get a few pints of blood taken out.

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Travel safely, Cindy.
Good morning. Today is the new tires that were not in stock yesterday. I am taking Ted along with me. There isn't much to do in that neighborhood so I hope they are quick. Ted is not a patient person for a long period of time.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I had a nice nights sleep last night---so I hope today looks better to me. High today is 67*F

Not a lot up today I guess---perhaps some house cleaning. rolz

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Got a couple hours work cleaning windows for a neighbor...out to clean my own in a few.

It is so cold here that I am wearing a tank top, t shirt and a heavy winter sweater and I am still froze out there. Yet the potatoes in the garden are growing wonderfully.

Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
It was cold here, too....I loved it! thumbup

Went to the hematologist and gave blood...gotta go back Monday and do it again. It's amazing how fast my body makes so much extra blood...wondering if it was worse this time because I ate that 'poke sallet' the other day. I'm not supposed to eat anything rich in iron....and greens are one of my favorite things. So, since I know I have to go get more blood taken out Monday I'm going to make a mess of mustard greens tomorrow and eat every bit of it. It will sure go good with the leftover salmon patties I had tonight...and I have 3 more green tomatoes to fry. I'm in Hillbilly Heaven! lol

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Hillbilly heaven is a good place to be. I'm counting the minutes until I can reasonable expect Ted to go to bed. I'm tired and am getting up early again tomorrow. Dog shots and license in the morning.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Spartacus is due for his shots and check-up....I dread that ordeal. Gonna have to buy a dog carrier to put him in because the cat carriers are too small.

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

Read through the posts and realized I hadn't been on in a while! I see the weather hasn't really changed....other than it is strange, strange, strange! I hope you warm up soon, Sunflowers. We are kind of having typical spring weather....except we usually get this the end of April and into May touched My dad was here for 10 days, so was busy visiting. He lives 500 miles away and is 86. I love having him come up and visit, but it scares me for him to drive through Denver traffic to get home. I plan on a visit there in August or Sept. dependin on the heat!!

When I go to the store, I too get sad for all the households with children to feed or the elderly on a fixed income. We are blessed with wild game and the garden. Got my first broccoli the other day and was able to share with my dad. I have some red cabbage almost ready too applaud Forgot to take a picture of the broccoli and it is all gone already grin

sorry about the peppers not germinating...I did have some of mine take almost 3 week. It seemed the peppers took way longer than anything else. Maybe there is still hope?

Have a Good Saturday all flwr

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. I am up and ready. My dog hates going to vets for any reason. I guess every visit is painful in some form or another. It is hard to blame him. But we will get it done today.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Hi everybody!

This weekend is "Together Days" for our town. It is a shame, too, because we are really cold and under heavy rain forecast for the entire weekend! But Maxi and his friends went up to the main festival area last night & had fun before the rains started. Today they held the parade anyway, in spite of the rain. So, Maxi walked back up to see how much of the festival is underway today.

Tomorrow is upposed to be our annual church picnic at the big park in Portland. If it is raining, they will hold it indoors which isn't as fun.

Maxi has leaf lettuce and radishes in and I have several varieties of morning glories.

Got groceries today and I am shocked once again by the rising prices. I think it was Tina who mentioned feeling sad for people in need trying to feed a family or the elderly. No doubt. I know many of us here either volunteer with food programs or donate in various ways. We donate each week but it always seems so small as if it doesn't add up to much.

About a month ago I was asked to volunteer at a big food drive. It was to benefit an organization which supports 40 food banks and kitchens. So, I went up and spent only about an hour or so handing out the flyers/shopping lists. By the end of the day, people had contributed nearly 3800 pounds of food and given over $300. A good drive which they try to do four times a year.

Sometimes I am so grateful it is just Maxi and I and we aren't struggling to eat. Even so, I miss the abundant garadens of my childhood.

Hope y'all are having a lovely Saturday.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hi Merme,

So nice to see you on again.. Glad your really busy an still active with Max.
We too got cold wind here today in 60 ies......Had a tornado about 30 mile from me. Nast gushes of rain an wind.. Thank heavens it stayed up north.
Today just wind an sun, but cool..But better than snow.

have a nice day.

dodge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Good afternoon all, had a busy morning.

Not much planned for today..flies are awful out there.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, the deer flies and gnats chase me in after the sun begins warming things here. I can only work in the early mornings right now.
Today the early morning was spent waiting for my dog's turn to get his shots. We watched a rattle snake aversion class while waiting. I foresee a bunch of dogs coming from that class afraid of umbrellas in the future. The snakes were put under market umbrellas for shade and when the dogs approached too closely they were shocked via shock collars. Made me glad my dog has a very natural fear of snakes of any kind. I doubt he would still be alive if he weren't.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Spartacus is due for his shots and check-up....I dread that ordeal. Gonna have to buy a dog carrier to put him in because the cat carriers are too small.

couldn't you just borrow one, Cindy ??? seems a lot easier

________

Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Actually, Leslie told me today that her neighbor gave her a small dog carrier...so I'm good to go! Glad I mentioned it to her!

Even so, I miss the abundant garadens of my childhood.

I miss my gardens so much I had at the farm. They sure were a lot of work, but we canned and froze everything and had enough for all winter.

Tina...good thing your dog doesn't like snakes. My bad brother had a dog that would try to catch every snake he saw...I don't know how many times he was bitten....finally died of old age not too long ago.

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good score on the dog carrier, Cindy.
I feel blessed to have my dog still and in such great shape. He's 12. It is very hard to tell he isn't still a pup.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Good morning all.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
We have a birds nest on our front porch. We also have a black snake and 2 cats. I dread the flying lessons.

Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
How do you keep the cats out of the bird nest?
Yesterday Sparta almost caught a bird when I took him out... uhuhh
I know it is their instinct, but I hate to think I lured a beautiful dove here with my sunflower seeds and then my cat kills it... boohoo

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

Good Sunday Morning,
My dog used to love going in the car with me....I called to her, she hopped in her carrier and went right to sleep as soon as we got in the car....except for the times we were going to the vet. How did she know?? I had to go pick her up and she would give me that look. I never used the "V" word! why We lost her last year, she was 16.

Going into town today, have quilt guild, Home Depot and Wal Mart!

flwr

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

yep that was the look lol

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Soon as I read your post I says to meself..."I've got the perfect picture!" lol

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
My dog shakes so hard when I take him to the vet that a picture would be fuzzy from the motion. He was also very, very tired when we got home. He loves to ride though. Just say "load up" and he is into a vehicle in a flash. No carriers. He rode in the truck and cars and golf carts all of his life. He had a harder time finding a comfortable place on tractors and such though.
Oh, and good morning.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image