Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#357214 May 27th, 2012 at 02:55 AM
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
This may seem like an odd request, but several days ago I wet all my dry beans and cukes and put them in a damp cloth to sprout. They were sitting there doing nothing and were very slow to germinate, BUT today just when it's Sunday and raining they decided to sprout. How can I temporarily stop the sprout until tomorrow or the next day until I can get into the garden to plant them?

Would putting the sprouted ones in the fridge delay them from getting longer?

HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Actually, I think if you just dampened paper towels, but the sprouting seeds/beans on them and then folded the damp towel over them for the next day, they'd be just fine. I've done it before in the past with great success.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
They will wait a day without you having to do anything drastic. Definitely not the refrigerator.

[Linked Image]
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, thank goodness it stopped raining and I was able to get them into the garden today. Whether they grow or not, well, that's okay.
Of all the beautiful days they have to sprout, they decide to sprout when it's cold or when it's raining...ha ha, that's the way it usually works out, that's life.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image