Print Thread
Rate Thread
#357196 May 26th, 2012 at 11:25 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I tried reading Nemo Nomad's posts on growing from seeds but I still don't understand and I'm wondering if there are options on some steps.

Here is what I want to do. I have some peonies and I would like to grow some of the seeds. I know they don't usually come true from the parent but I'd still like to try it.

Sometimes I need something to keep me going in retirement. So....it was suggested that I start with a pastry tray to plant the seeds in that fake soil stuff. Considering how large the rhysomes get I'm thinking this would require transplanting. Would it be possible to plant it in something 4 to 6 inches deep and then put a milk bottle lid on it for the humidity?

It was suggested a week outdoors in winter for stratification. I'm not sure when the seeds will be ripe for harvest but if it isn't cold here at that time would a week in the refrigerator be enough?

Then it was suggested that I put it somewhere warm. I'm wondering does it need light at this phase or is warm the only consideration.

And then is it 5 years to bloom after the two years of germination or is that how long it takes before it sprouts the first time?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #357199 May 27th, 2012 at 12:09 AM
10k Posts
10k Posts
From Park seeds:

Sow outdoors for germination the following spring.
Indoors, sow the seeds and maintain a temperature in the growing medium of 70° until the roots develop. Then refrigerate or place the seed flat outdoors for 8-10 weeks (if it is cold), followed by germination at a temperature in the growing medium of 70°. Germination will take up to 2 months.

tkhooper #357200 May 27th, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Thanks Bill

I'm thinking I need to make a space in the garden for a nursery bed. Somewhere for my garden experiments.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image