Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#357012 May 22nd, 2012 at 09:06 AM
OP Offline
My squash leaves are turning yellow. They're planted in what should be very well-enriched soil, lots of compost was mixed in this year, but it's quite possible that there's a nutrient missing since I made all the compost myself. I think they are this but I can't be totally sure.

From one plant that's not so bad:
[Linked Image]

From another plant that's looking pretty bad:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Saefroch #357028 May 22nd, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Maybe low nitrogen? Try liquid fish emulsion fertilizer. It works pretty fast.

Saefroch #357029 May 22nd, 2012 at 10:36 AM
OP Offline
I applied some Neptune's Harvest brand fish emulsion fertilizer after doing some quick research on the product. It's only been a few hours so far, and no change. I'll make note of any changes tomorrow.

Any other ideas?

Saefroch #357040 May 22nd, 2012 at 01:43 PM
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
How much water are you giving it?? Squash need about 2" of water per week. If you are giving it more than that, perhaps there is an iron deficiency? Iron Chelates can be added to the soil if that's the case.

Also, I have read that bacterial wilt can cause yellowing leaves. You can diagnose that by cutting off a piece of the stem and squeezing it. If the juice inside comes out like slime, it has bacterial wilt and there isn't anything that you can do. I do not know how common/rare that is tho....and because it seems that the yellowing is starting from the newest leaves and moving towards the base of the plant, I'm thinking it's some kind of deficiency instead of wilt.

[Linked Image]
Saefroch #357041 May 22nd, 2012 at 02:04 PM
OP Offline
I think I watered them twice since they've been in the ground. They were in some pretty sizable pots before, and they were turning a little yellow then, but it seemed to clear up when they went in the ground, and now it's back. It's rained pretty heavily here, the ground they're in has been so wet I've backed off on the watering for fear of root rot.

I'll try the bacterial wilt test, but not signs of wilt except the daily wilting in the sun, but it was a bit cooler and overcast today, and they all stayed well perked-up all day.

Where can I get iron chelates? Do I need chelated iron, or will normal iron compounds do the trick?

Last edited by Saefroch; May 22nd, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Saefroch #357094 May 24th, 2012 at 06:39 PM
How long ago did you transplant these. If it was resent it may just be shock to the root system from changing the location.

OP Offline
The yellowing began before transplant, do I doubt that's the cause.

I'm pretty sure it's nutrient deficiency of some sort, given that I'm now getting about .5" of rain a day. I'll just have to wait until this weather system blows over.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,856
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image