New thread....fill er up!!

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OK, pictures of the work done today and yesterday...

Transplanted some bleeding hearts. You'll notice some are droopy. It's because their stem got broken during the transplant, but they'll come back just fine next year. Their roots look OLD.
[Linked Image]

The side bed is complete now.
[Linked Image]

This is the pond insert that I acquired after the flooding we had back in September.
[Linked Image]

I realize there is a little spout for a waterfall...I'm just not going to fill it up to that point. I think it'll come in handy if we end up with alot of rain tho...the extra water in the pond will just flow out.

More pics in the next post.

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Another shot of the side bed.
[Linked Image]

Pink Rhody
[Linked Image]

The purple Rhody is getting ready to bloom...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Looks great...wish rhodies would overwinter here.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
When we first bought the house, they were taller than the porch roof. I hated them and wanted to pull them out completely, but they are soooooo old that there is a good chance their roots are either right next to the foundation of the house (which is just stacked stones) or actually grown into parts of the stacked stone. So, I cut them way back. I like them now that they are smaller. After they are done blooming, I'll be trimming them back again. This is about as large as I can tolerate them.

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Pretty! Good job on your planting beds, too. Your house looks sweet.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
well I planted some new annuals that I bought wednesday and then last night I trimmed grass around the trees along the back of the yard & I also trimmed along my rocked area in the back---sad news is I did not have my gloves on & now I have a huge busted blister where my sissor handle goes.
(yes I use sissors & not grass cutting shears. The sissors get closer to teh ground, & I can then get by with doing it ever 2 weeks instead of every week.)

but hey--I have most of my annuals planted now, & I am the proud owner of a small Fuscia. thumbup
WE will hope it will not get too much sun where I have it. ( on the east facing side, right against the house.)

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Carol, you need to get a small weed trimmer. You can get them battery powered as well.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, battery powered weed whackers are the way to go in a regular yard. They are light enough for most to handle and not a lot of bending or crawling. And really not too pricey. Mine have a simple replacement spool of line all ready to pop in when needed.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Sunflowers
Carol, you need to get a small weed trimmer. You can get them battery powered as well.

ladies, ladies--I can see I failed to mention......

Mind you Rod would LOVE if I would do that, BUT IF I do any yard work, at any time, for any reason, it will become mine for all time--& I am catching myself coming & going as it is.

I feel I must also mention---if a job takes the regular person 15 minutes to do, it will take me say 30 to 45 minutes to do---it's just the way I am. why Which is the main (but not the only) reason why I do not do several different jobs around here--

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
It sounds like edging the grass is already your job? We are just trying to make it easier.
I had to gripe at my husband to stay away from my parts of the yard.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
I had a really nice conversation with a new neighbor in the community garden. She is right behind me and I've seen her several times, but today we had a chance to chat a bit. She told me she is from Uzbekistan and has been here about 8 years. I asked her if she liked it here better, or home better. She said, well there they said leave or we - insert throat slash indication-. I said "Well, ok. Here is better then!" Some sort of religious issue I gathered.

She was apparently dissatisfied with the weeds on the border of our garden, so we worked on it together, since I think she was going to weed my area whether I helped her or not.

She seems like a lovely woman and I hope we get to chat more. Hopefully she won't be too annoyed by my less than stellar weeding.
~Beth~

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
weeds tend to spread. I understand the need to get rid of them wherever they might encroach. Good work today.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Hi gardening family! Hisgal2, your boarder is lovely and your rhododendrons are beautiful. Glad you saved them. I have been spending the last few days (weeks? months?) weeding and digging up pecan trees sewed by squirrels. Also, replanting all the plants the squirrels dug up during the early morning.(No doubt looking for those buried pecans.) I am on my way back out now. Came in for a quick banana and glass of tea. I am so happy I found this site! Bye until later!

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Tina
It sounds like edging the grass is already your job? We are just trying to make it easier.
I had to gripe at my husband to stay away from my parts of the yard.

well, yes Tina some of the edging is already my job----"he" cuts the grass in the wrong way if I do not edge---kinda childish to my way of thinking-- why

and yes I know you guys were just trying to help and I appreciate it, but if I bought a yard tool I would be doing ALL of the trimming & then some---see, my DH's dad owned a grain elevator---& since most farmer's wives cut grass & that was what my DH was around when he worked for his dad, he looked at it as women's work---& when he found out I did not "do" lawn care, he was not a happy camper.

so I tread very carefully when it comes to lawn/yard stuff---I do the flower & veggie gardens & that is about it.--well the edging.... bow

________

Originally Posted by JunieGirl
[ he looked at it as women's work---& when he found out I did not "do" lawn care, he was not a happy camper.

so I tread very carefully when it comes to lawn/yard stuff---I do the flower & veggie gardens & that is about it.--well the edging.... bow

Sometimes I have to pick my battles very carefully also...My DH has always said he doesn't do yard work, but I make sure and do the lawn stuff when he is home, then he will come out and mow and edge!!! I can't complain too much about him, though, he put in a sprinkler system several years ago and that is a real time saver. And we have had to re-do several times to encompass the ever growing flower beds and the green house. Everything is on the sprinkler system so when we are away everything will still get watered! grin

We cleaned our pond today, then I watered the green house cause it rained yesterday party and so when it rains I use the rain barrels to water the green house...cause it doesn't rain in there!! transplanted a few more tomatoe plants and I brought all my pepper plants and more flower plants outside to start hadening them. I'm gonna sleep good tonight!

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Yep Bobbi it does sound like your going to sleep well tonight. !!!

Today, I planted almost the last of my flowers now----& I bought a mini sunflower & put it in the same place where I just put my mini seed-- grin Since I was late this year, I thought to give myself a jump start---

now al is left is my 2 water plants--one lily & one iris---I do so hope the both are alive......

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
since most farmer's wives cut grass
...so that's the problem...being a farmer's wife, someone should have warned me haha

Planted a few perennials yesterday, tall yellow ones(rubeckia and tickseed). Also dug out another bucket of goutweed(snow on mountain)

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well DH said the side of the house looks too bare. We can't plant much there because it bares the brunt of the winter snow and winds but he thinks some hostas and lilies would look pretty there......and told me to buy some next pay day.

You don't have to twist my arm on that one lol

I'd really like to have a bench in that area but plants are a start thumbup

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Sounds nice, Sunny. Is there anything at all that will winter over under the snow there?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Yeah, I've never had my DH tell me to go out and buy plants!! Have fun Sunflowers.

My greenhouse is all planted! Planted 8 banana pepper plants, 6 green chili plants, 4 more tomatoe plants, the remainder of my pole bean seeds and 4 more bush bean seeds. Had a small corner for some carrot seeds, but no room for beets tapfoot I did not plan as well this year. Too much going on and I didn't take the time with my graph paper!! But I have 2 broccoli, 2 cauliflower and 4 cabbage plants that will probably be finished by the middle of June...I think the beets will go in there! Had a wonderful salad tonight made from my own lettuce, radishes and snap peas (plus a few other vegies from Bountiful Baskets), but I am always amazed at how much better my lettuce is!! I love my greenhouse!!!!! Now it on to my flowers flwrHave a good week all

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Sounds nice, Sunny. Is there anything at all that will winter over under the snow there?

have you ever tried to pot some flowers up & either bring them in or put them out in the barn on an inside wall to over winter them---the snow could not get to them that way, right
??...I bring some potted things on the garage during winter & if one remembers to water them every few weeks they tend to make it.

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
That side of the house gets almost full shade, heavy winds and hail and snow damage. The snow off the roof gets packed there..

I did plant things there before and nothing has survived. I am thinking maybe of putting a garden decor item that can be moved in Winter and surrounding it with a few pots of shade flowers and maybe trying a few hostas again.

Sounds like your garden is coming along nicely Bobbie...and don't worry, my DH is up to something I am assuming. lol Usually these ideas are followed by a 'by the way, I bought a....today' haha

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
OH my Sunny---you have me wondering now----keep us informed of your progress with that side of the house.

This morning I filled my half barrel with water--now to wait for the chlorine to dissipate. Then on to planing my water flowers... thumbup

________

my DH is up to something I am assuming. lol Usually these ideas are followed by a 'by the way, I bought a....today' haha

OHHHH, mine does the same and it is usually hunting related!

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well today I planted my turnip, carrot and beet seed and a few onion bulbs. Weeded out my strawberry bed also.

Found a Bleeding heart plant growing in the ditch across the road touched ...so I dug it out and put it in my yard thumbup

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts

Found a Bleeding heart plant growing in the ditch across the road touched ...so I dug it out and put it in my yard thumbup

Now there is a girl after my own heart !!!!

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well, I own the land across the road anyway haha

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Well, I own the land across the road anyway haha

haha ok then !!!

________

you girls got me to laughing....snitching plants haha

I did get all my "potted" annual flowers planted in their pots yesterday. I was going to wait, but much to my surprise, my DH has questioned several times about getting the flowers out front...I have had them hardening off, but I was still a little reluctant to committ them to the outdoors...I don't trust our weather!! But they are planted! The only things I have left to plant are some perennial seedlings I've got going that will go into my perennial flower beds. But for today it is working on a quilt or two.
Have a great day all flwr

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Today I mowed our jungle. It took twice as long to get the yards mowed because it was soo overgrown. I cut the back yard on the longest setting and then dropped the mower one more notch and cut the entire thing again.

I'm hoping to get our flower seeds planted in the front beds today...we'll see if the rain holds off.

I snatch day lilies that grow next to the creek. There are soo many of them and nobody cares of you dig them up. grin

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well I mowed again today..not grass though, mostly dandelions lol

hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
We went to the pet store down town and got a few water plants and some small fan tail goldfish for the pond. The three plants that I got will give them some oxygen and some hiding places. We'll see if they live. I don't have a pump for the pond, so I'm trying to take care of the water naturally with plants and fish. A friend of a friend is going to give me a lily from his pond and something else that I can't remember.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
tonight I put my water lily and my water iris---in my half barrel---I have found my type of water plants---it says right on the pkg---you can use any type of water-tight container----yay me !!!

________

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Got the grass out of the garden AGAIN and spray the squash with insecticidal soap. I hope it keeps the squash bugs away. I haven't seen any bees yet. A little worried about that.

I planted some gourd seeds I received from Plant Swap.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
This morning I sprayed my cedar...it is full of spiders and white fly. Think it's a 'gonner' and it's the pyramid one I use for decorating at Xmas with lights. cry

This morning I sprayed my cedar...it is full of spiders and white fly. Think it's a 'gonner' and it's the pyramid one I use for decorating at Xmas with lights. cry

boohoo ss Sunflowers

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I hate losing a tree. I am sorry.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
I hate losing a tree. I am sorry.

Me too, that is sad--- kissie

________

hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
That's a bummer. :(

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image