New thread....fill er up!!

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OK, pictures of the work done today and yesterday...

Transplanted some bleeding hearts. You'll notice some are droopy. It's because their stem got broken during the transplant, but they'll come back just fine next year. Their roots look OLD.
[Linked Image]

The side bed is complete now.
[Linked Image]

This is the pond insert that I acquired after the flooding we had back in September.
[Linked Image]

I realize there is a little spout for a waterfall...I'm just not going to fill it up to that point. I think it'll come in handy if we end up with alot of rain tho...the extra water in the pond will just flow out.

More pics in the next post.

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Another shot of the side bed.
[Linked Image]

Pink Rhody
[Linked Image]

The purple Rhody is getting ready to bloom...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Looks great...wish rhodies would overwinter here.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
When we first bought the house, they were taller than the porch roof. I hated them and wanted to pull them out completely, but they are soooooo old that there is a good chance their roots are either right next to the foundation of the house (which is just stacked stones) or actually grown into parts of the stacked stone. So, I cut them way back. I like them now that they are smaller. After they are done blooming, I'll be trimming them back again. This is about as large as I can tolerate them.

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Pretty! Good job on your planting beds, too. Your house looks sweet.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
well I planted some new annuals that I bought wednesday and then last night I trimmed grass around the trees along the back of the yard & I also trimmed along my rocked area in the back---sad news is I did not have my gloves on & now I have a huge busted blister where my sissor handle goes.
(yes I use sissors & not grass cutting shears. The sissors get closer to teh ground, & I can then get by with doing it ever 2 weeks instead of every week.)

but hey--I have most of my annuals planted now, & I am the proud owner of a small Fuscia. thumbup
WE will hope it will not get too much sun where I have it. ( on the east facing side, right against the house.)

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Carol, you need to get a small weed trimmer. You can get them battery powered as well.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, battery powered weed whackers are the way to go in a regular yard. They are light enough for most to handle and not a lot of bending or crawling. And really not too pricey. Mine have a simple replacement spool of line all ready to pop in when needed.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Sunflowers
Carol, you need to get a small weed trimmer. You can get them battery powered as well.

ladies, ladies--I can see I failed to mention......

Mind you Rod would LOVE if I would do that, BUT IF I do any yard work, at any time, for any reason, it will become mine for all time--& I am catching myself coming & going as it is.

I feel I must also mention---if a job takes the regular person 15 minutes to do, it will take me say 30 to 45 minutes to do---it's just the way I am. why Which is the main (but not the only) reason why I do not do several different jobs around here--

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
It sounds like edging the grass is already your job? We are just trying to make it easier.
I had to gripe at my husband to stay away from my parts of the yard.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
I had a really nice conversation with a new neighbor in the community garden. She is right behind me and I've seen her several times, but today we had a chance to chat a bit. She told me she is from Uzbekistan and has been here about 8 years. I asked her if she liked it here better, or home better. She said, well there they said leave or we - insert throat slash indication-. I said "Well, ok. Here is better then!" Some sort of religious issue I gathered.

She was apparently dissatisfied with the weeds on the border of our garden, so we worked on it together, since I think she was going to weed my area whether I helped her or not.

She seems like a lovely woman and I hope we get to chat more. Hopefully she won't be too annoyed by my less than stellar weeding.
~Beth~

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
weeds tend to spread. I understand the need to get rid of them wherever they might encroach. Good work today.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Hi gardening family! Hisgal2, your boarder is lovely and your rhododendrons are beautiful. Glad you saved them. I have been spending the last few days (weeks? months?) weeding and digging up pecan trees sewed by squirrels. Also, replanting all the plants the squirrels dug up during the early morning.(No doubt looking for those buried pecans.) I am on my way back out now. Came in for a quick banana and glass of tea. I am so happy I found this site! Bye until later!

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Tina
It sounds like edging the grass is already your job? We are just trying to make it easier.
I had to gripe at my husband to stay away from my parts of the yard.

well, yes Tina some of the edging is already my job----"he" cuts the grass in the wrong way if I do not edge---kinda childish to my way of thinking-- why

and yes I know you guys were just trying to help and I appreciate it, but if I bought a yard tool I would be doing ALL of the trimming & then some---see, my DH's dad owned a grain elevator---& since most farmer's wives cut grass & that was what my DH was around when he worked for his dad, he looked at it as women's work---& when he found out I did not "do" lawn care, he was not a happy camper.

so I tread very carefully when it comes to lawn/yard stuff---I do the flower & veggie gardens & that is about it.--well the edging.... bow

________

Originally Posted by JunieGirl
[ he looked at it as women's work---& when he found out I did not "do" lawn care, he was not a happy camper.

so I tread very carefully when it comes to lawn/yard stuff---I do the flower & veggie gardens & that is about it.--well the edging.... bow

Sometimes I have to pick my battles very carefully also...My DH has always said he doesn't do yard work, but I make sure and do the lawn stuff when he is home, then he will come out and mow and edge!!! I can't complain too much about him, though, he put in a sprinkler system several years ago and that is a real time saver. And we have had to re-do several times to encompass the ever growing flower beds and the green house. Everything is on the sprinkler system so when we are away everything will still get watered! grin

We cleaned our pond today, then I watered the green house cause it rained yesterday party and so when it rains I use the rain barrels to water the green house...cause it doesn't rain in there!! transplanted a few more tomatoe plants and I brought all my pepper plants and more flower plants outside to start hadening them. I'm gonna sleep good tonight!

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Yep Bobbi it does sound like your going to sleep well tonight. !!!

Today, I planted almost the last of my flowers now----& I bought a mini sunflower & put it in the same place where I just put my mini seed-- grin Since I was late this year, I thought to give myself a jump start---

now al is left is my 2 water plants--one lily & one iris---I do so hope the both are alive......

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
since most farmer's wives cut grass
...so that's the problem...being a farmer's wife, someone should have warned me haha

Planted a few perennials yesterday, tall yellow ones(rubeckia and tickseed). Also dug out another bucket of goutweed(snow on mountain)

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well DH said the side of the house looks too bare. We can't plant much there because it bares the brunt of the winter snow and winds but he thinks some hostas and lilies would look pretty there......and told me to buy some next pay day.

You don't have to twist my arm on that one lol

I'd really like to have a bench in that area but plants are a start thumbup

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Sounds nice, Sunny. Is there anything at all that will winter over under the snow there?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Yeah, I've never had my DH tell me to go out and buy plants!! Have fun Sunflowers.

My greenhouse is all planted! Planted 8 banana pepper plants, 6 green chili plants, 4 more tomatoe plants, the remainder of my pole bean seeds and 4 more bush bean seeds. Had a small corner for some carrot seeds, but no room for beets tapfoot I did not plan as well this year. Too much going on and I didn't take the time with my graph paper!! But I have 2 broccoli, 2 cauliflower and 4 cabbage plants that will probably be finished by the middle of June...I think the beets will go in there! Had a wonderful salad tonight made from my own lettuce, radishes and snap peas (plus a few other vegies from Bountiful Baskets), but I am always amazed at how much better my lettuce is!! I love my greenhouse!!!!! Now it on to my flowers flwrHave a good week all

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Sounds nice, Sunny. Is there anything at all that will winter over under the snow there?

have you ever tried to pot some flowers up & either bring them in or put them out in the barn on an inside wall to over winter them---the snow could not get to them that way, right
??...I bring some potted things on the garage during winter & if one remembers to water them every few weeks they tend to make it.

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
That side of the house gets almost full shade, heavy winds and hail and snow damage. The snow off the roof gets packed there..

I did plant things there before and nothing has survived. I am thinking maybe of putting a garden decor item that can be moved in Winter and surrounding it with a few pots of shade flowers and maybe trying a few hostas again.

Sounds like your garden is coming along nicely Bobbie...and don't worry, my DH is up to something I am assuming. lol Usually these ideas are followed by a 'by the way, I bought a....today' haha

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
OH my Sunny---you have me wondering now----keep us informed of your progress with that side of the house.

This morning I filled my half barrel with water--now to wait for the chlorine to dissipate. Then on to planing my water flowers... thumbup

________

my DH is up to something I am assuming. lol Usually these ideas are followed by a 'by the way, I bought a....today' haha

OHHHH, mine does the same and it is usually hunting related!

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well today I planted my turnip, carrot and beet seed and a few onion bulbs. Weeded out my strawberry bed also.

Found a Bleeding heart plant growing in the ditch across the road touched ...so I dug it out and put it in my yard thumbup

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts

Found a Bleeding heart plant growing in the ditch across the road touched ...so I dug it out and put it in my yard thumbup

Now there is a girl after my own heart !!!!

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well, I own the land across the road anyway haha

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Well, I own the land across the road anyway haha

haha ok then !!!

________

you girls got me to laughing....snitching plants haha

I did get all my "potted" annual flowers planted in their pots yesterday. I was going to wait, but much to my surprise, my DH has questioned several times about getting the flowers out front...I have had them hardening off, but I was still a little reluctant to committ them to the outdoors...I don't trust our weather!! But they are planted! The only things I have left to plant are some perennial seedlings I've got going that will go into my perennial flower beds. But for today it is working on a quilt or two.
Have a great day all flwr

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Today I mowed our jungle. It took twice as long to get the yards mowed because it was soo overgrown. I cut the back yard on the longest setting and then dropped the mower one more notch and cut the entire thing again.

I'm hoping to get our flower seeds planted in the front beds today...we'll see if the rain holds off.

I snatch day lilies that grow next to the creek. There are soo many of them and nobody cares of you dig them up. grin

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well I mowed again today..not grass though, mostly dandelions lol

hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
We went to the pet store down town and got a few water plants and some small fan tail goldfish for the pond. The three plants that I got will give them some oxygen and some hiding places. We'll see if they live. I don't have a pump for the pond, so I'm trying to take care of the water naturally with plants and fish. A friend of a friend is going to give me a lily from his pond and something else that I can't remember.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
tonight I put my water lily and my water iris---in my half barrel---I have found my type of water plants---it says right on the pkg---you can use any type of water-tight container----yay me !!!

________

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Got the grass out of the garden AGAIN and spray the squash with insecticidal soap. I hope it keeps the squash bugs away. I haven't seen any bees yet. A little worried about that.

I planted some gourd seeds I received from Plant Swap.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
This morning I sprayed my cedar...it is full of spiders and white fly. Think it's a 'gonner' and it's the pyramid one I use for decorating at Xmas with lights. cry

This morning I sprayed my cedar...it is full of spiders and white fly. Think it's a 'gonner' and it's the pyramid one I use for decorating at Xmas with lights. cry

boohoo ss Sunflowers

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I hate losing a tree. I am sorry.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I hate losing a tree. I am sorry.

Me too, that is sad--- kissie

________

hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
That's a bummer. :(

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
It really is....It was a wonderful size and shape. It'll be too expensive to replace. It was originally bought at a nursery over 10 years ago.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
It really is....It was a wonderful size and shape. It'll be too expensive to replace. It was originally bought at a nursery over 10 years ago.

I dont suppose you could leave it for a year or so??

We had a large fir tree out at the farm. My youngest brought it home as a twig one arbor day when she was a young child. Well, the year we sold the farm, it turned all brown-- Lucky for it, the people who bought our place, were too lazy to cut it down....the next year it came back alive & well, & is still doing well today...who woulda thought??? So perhaps you could treat it a few more times & just let it be for the season??? why

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I'm scared the whitefly will spread to my other plants...I am honestly thinking of dousing it with fuel and setting it on fire. Wonder if that would scorch the ground enough. I'm sure it'll kill the flies and eggs.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I got to play in the compost today. I've been meaning to get out there but it's been to hot or I've had other commitments. So today before it started to rain i managed to move 3 pails of finished compost to the future birdbath flower bed and incorporate it with the clay. Another 3 buckets and it should be ready for me to plant some nice seeds. Unfortunately that's all I got to do so far today.

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
I raked grass today. I hate raking grass. Hoping to finally get the flower seeds planted in the side bed today.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I hope you got your flower seeds planted I didn't manage that today.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I didn't plant my seeds today either. But I did get more compost in the new flower bed and scrapped up my compost pile so I could get to the rest of the finished compost on the bottom. Then I cut down some of the weeds over by my blueberries. And I have to say I have a huge crop of blackberries on the wild canes. I wish those suckers didn't spread the way they do they are everywhere.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Sounds like my raspberries..It got to the point where I dug out even the main plant to get rid of them.

Today I am spreading mulch...

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by tkhooper
. And I have to say I have a huge crop of blackberries on the wild canes. I wish those suckers didn't spread the way they do they are everywhere.

Wish I had Blackberries... rolz

________

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Watchout what you wish for I may send you a cane. Nah, I wouldn't be that mean.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Planted up the new fence garden and mulched two flower beds.

Haven't done anything outside for days! Rain, rain and more rain! But my grass is wonderfully green, and I seem to see my flowers growing day by day!

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Finally I planed the seeds in the birdbath flowerbed. I planted yellow 4 o'clocks, peach pom pom zinnia, and red cockscomb. I hope everything comes up. I think it will look awsome. At least that is the hope.

[Linked Image]
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
Watered everything today. Way too dry and we could use a rain.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Last night I watered everything, added a layer of topsoil to my asparagus & weeded it some, and then I made little moats around my veggies & herbs so when I water, said water does not run off but stays in the area I need it in. I have been using that method for over 30 years---& I love it !!!!

it is looking like I may have to re-plant a few asparaguis plants this fall... why

________

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hey suzydaze long time no see.

With me the moats fill in with the loose topsoil to quickly for it to be really effective. Maybe I'm watering to hard?

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I think one has to use clay soil to make teh moats with, or at very least make a slurry out of clay soil to coat said softer soil with---after that dries hard it will be ok to hold up.
and yes about teh hard watering, I use a soaker,or a shower type of spray, or a watering can, to water in my moats. why

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Weeded today...this Fall I need to work on my garden soil. Seems like the rocks are growing lol I find my soil isn't as soft this year...going to have to compost and peat moss it before Winter.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
...and I cut down my beloved Christmas Lights tree boohoo . It was in bad shape and looked awful at the end of our driveway.

...and I cut down my beloved Christmas Lights tree boohoo . It was in bad shape and looked awful at the end of our driveway.

tears Sympathies for your lost tree, Sunflowers.

I did have to water the green house today...with all the rain we have been having I haven't thought about watering...but at least I have barrels of rainwater. My plants were happy.

Sounds like a colorful combination tk. I bought some cosmos and four o'clock seeds to fill in for the bare space I made when I pulled the wild holyhocks out. Maybe if by next year the holyhocks don't come back I'll find a nice perennial or two for that area!

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I love having a mix of perennials and annuals. I always want to plant some seeds. And I like having flowers that will bloom most of the growing season along with the ones that will pop up for a couple of weeks and then die back.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts

......... kissie but at least it was your idea---

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I'm sorry, Sunny.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Today I did more weeding. The sidewalk bed, sidewalk, and front foundation beds are all weed free for awhile anyway. Then I pruned the miniature roses that had been hit by blackspot so bad. I'm happy to say they are comming back although they may be less than full for awhile. That blackspot was really bad this year.

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Stephen built my lettuce lattice yesterday and I got it full of garden soil. Today we plant the lettuce and I think I'm going to put my Thumbalina Carrots in there today also.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Do you have pictures of your lattice? I'd love to see it.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Well I got a lot of little things done this morning.

I pulled up the thistles that were my height out of the defunct veggie bed. I still have to get all of the fever few out of there.

I started to cut the grass and the shield fell off of the weed wacker. It's always something with the lawn. I think the weeds jinx whatever is taken out there to cut them down.

I had a new blackberry lily in a small pot that needed to be transplanted. So today I took it out to the ditchbed and planted it.

I watered the birdbath flowerbed even though it is likely to rain. If I hadn't the rain would have held off and I really want those seeds to have every opportunity to sprout.

I filled another pot with compost for the container garden on the deck. And then I pulled two more of the large pots out of the shed to add to that project. Then I pulled some of the larger weeds out of the side foundation bed I'm not sure exactly how to attack the weeds that are growing on the edge of the blacktop on the wrong side of the flower bed edging.

Then I rescued a pot that had fallen off of the deck. Kitty rubs against everything and sometimes the pots aren't heavy enough to withstand the attention.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I mowed, mowed and mowed some more...cr@ppy dandelions.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I thought I could use the rake in the veggie bed to get up all the weeds...not happening. Soil is as hard as "clay" lol. But I did get the new flower bed watered. It's full of sprouts but I think they are crabgrass sprouts. Somehow my compost pile didn't get hot enough last year it seems. Fun more weeds. Other than that I dug up the last of the finished compost and put it in the containers. Now I just have to decide what will go in them this year.

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
This morning it was pole saw work. Getting the branches that want to lean on my roof in front of my house. And everything leaning over the house that the saw could reach. I love having the shade tunnel to walk in front of my porch. It is cooling and keeps me private. But I want a few inches in case of fires or something. Just a little room to play with.
I got all of that cut up and piled for removal onto the road before the bugs chased me in.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
I will take pictures of my lettuce lattice tomorrow. My camera's battery is dead.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Thanks I look forward to seeing them. Today I planted the bunching onions. since it was a seed exchange I don't know if these are actually green onions, scallions, chinese green onions or something else. I hope they come up I'm curious now.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I use bunching onions here just for the green tops.

Today I weeded my garden, planted my yellow beans and planted my other boxwood.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
today I adjusted some of my moats, I added 40 pounds of topsoil to my new asparagus beds---(all but 2 of my new plants have come up. ) thumbup
I weeded my "rock garden"
(what I call my rocked area in the back, my SIL calls my rock garden)
and I watered most everything, as I will not be home likley tomorrow night to do it

________

There just isn't too much to do at the moment in my gardens!!! Always watering, but only the green house as the sprinkler system takes care of watering the rest! And when I run out of water in my rain barrels the sprinkler system will take care of the green house also! I still have seedling flowers in the green house hopefully I will get them planted on Monday. I'll leave them outside for the next 2 nights, then maybe they'll be ready for the ground. The weather is finally supposed to be nice. I did work on my compost for a long while the other day. I know I need to water it more and get it stirred up more often....it is just not as fun as playing with the vegies and flowers! Maybe I'll feed the lawn today flwr

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Well today I worked in the container garden until it was time to meet a friend for breakfast.

I choose to plant Sunflower 'Teddybear' in one of the medium size pots. Hopefully it is short enough that it won't knock over the pot. I love the look of these sunflowers and hope that the seeds are not to old to sprout.

I planted the seeds harvested from Light yellow lilliput zinnia. (I hope they come true to form. Although I'll take any color I can get. And then the questions becomes will they be single, double, or pom pom blooms. I'm hoping for pom pom of course.

I have some lemon cosmos that I planted in one of the other medium sized pots. It may be to small to do them justice but I decided to try anyway. If I can manage it I might also plant them out at the back of the ditchbed. That is if I ever get the grass tamed out there.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I weeded a small flower bed, than the flies took over.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I surrounded my house in bug spray. All along the eaves and around the windows. I like some of them outdoors but do not want to welcome them inside. That is about the only outdoor thing done here this day.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Took a walk in the greenhouse yesterday morning and everything was fine! Opened it all up as we were supposed to have a nice day. So yesterday around 4 I took a walk through and gasped! Almost all my potatoe plants had fallen over. yikes these plants have gotten huge! This is my high bed, 32" off the ground, with the back of the bed next to an outer wall so when they fell over, they were draped on the outside of the raised bed. They never got this big outside. So I wheelbarreled dirt and propped them all with dirt, knowing I'll get even more potatoes. But 5 wheel barrels full of dirt later.... and a sore back! They look ok, but a lot of the branches of the plants broke when they fell over. I'm going to get some stakes today when I go to town and just put stakes in the front of the bed and rope the front of the bed so they can drape over the rope rather than fall all the way over the side of the bed. I think that will work! unless anyone else has better ideas!

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
No ideas here. I've never grown potatoes. I haven't done anything yet I'm hoping that around 6 it will cool off and I can do a few things.

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I wouldn't worry about staking them. Just keep laying the top of the plant down and covering it with dirty.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Bobbie, I find that hilling your potatoes in stages at every 4 to 6 inches works better.

I hilled my potatoes for the first time last night, weeded and planted a slip off my grandmothers green rhubarb..hope it takes.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Well this morning I managed to cut and rake a small part of the lawn about 1/6th of the back yard and turn the compost. Get the rest of the finished compost out of the pile and then screen it. It filled the two pots that are on hangers on the shed. It filled the big container on the deck that I haven't quite decided how I'm going to use and then it topped off the rest of the containers. It's lovely stuff as you might imagine. I'm sorry it's all gone for the year.

I planted the orangy-red rose. It is so pretty. And that's it for the morning. Hard to believe that took an entire hour isn't it?

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Well last night I weeded a bit and then I transplanted 2 small trees, that my DH found to pots. The one is about 2 inches high (an Oak) & the other is about 12 inches (a maple of some kind).

Rod thinks we should put one of them in where we had a type of Cherry tree that got a Bore & died. Really ?? I say they are good in the pots they are on for some years yet--

________

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Sounds like bonsai volunteers to me lol. I guess I'm trying to get more people to try it.

Good luck with the weeding.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Well I got a slow start out there this morning. I couldn't really get into it. I cut another 1/6th of the back yard so that makes a total of 1/3 lol. Then I raked up the grass and put it in the compost pile. Then I gathered rocks to add to the edging around the birdbath flower bed. It's a start. That's about all i can say about it.

[Linked Image]
Good Luck with the bonsai volunteers! I will not be one of them grin

Been working on my compost every day. It does make a difference, keeping it stirred up and watered. Maybe it'll actually compost now!

I did end up staking my potatoe plants...there just isn't room to mound them any more, or to even let them lay on top of the soil. This bed is 18" wide, 32" tall....so I had dug a trench down 12-14 inches and planted my potato eyes that deep, then when they would start poking throuh I would put some of the dirt on top, did that 3 times and they still grew 3-4 feet above the soil. The trouble with just letting them go is that they want to fall over the edge of the raised bed and many of the branches broke when they did it the first time. I am afraid the main stem would break if they were to drape themselves over the side again. So I got creative and they all seem to be "contained" in the raised bed without falling over the side, and one of them flowered yesterday, so hoping they all start to bloom soon, then they will stop growing up and start growing potatos??? I think next year I am going to put them back outside. I have a few extra 55 gal plastic barrels we may cut in half and fill up for growing vegies. I never seem to have enough room! flwr

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I have more room than I can handle and still I start new beds and plant new things. It's an addiction isn't it?

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by tkhooper
I have more room than I can handle and still I start new beds and plant new things. It's an addiction isn't it?

I seem to have that problem also...gardening and quilting my two most severe addictions! I might have to add chatting on the Gardener's Forum neener

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Today I planted my rhubarb...too wet for anything else.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I love rhubarb but I can't eat it anymore, no teeth. That's one of those foods that so remind me of home and childhood.

I went to Wal-Mart yesterday and couldn't pass up the well grown pepper plants. So now I have two pepper plants with lots of peppers on them. It is an interesting pot in that it has a built in plastic cage on it. I like it.

[Linked Image]
I seem to be having trouble with my cucumbers. I started them in the house and transplanted them to the green house, probably 3 weeks ago. They already had a few cucumbers growing on the small vines. The tiny new cucumbers coming out turn yellow before they are even an inch long. The cucumbers that were already on the vine are still doing great. It is only the new ones. The vines seem to be growing ok. Do you think the soil is lacking in something? I use a web page called Companion Planting and this is what they had to say about tomatos and cucumbers: "Tomato allies are many: asparagus, basil, bean, carrots, celery, chive, cucumber, ....." These cucumbers were planted where I had the tomatos last year. I have peppers in the same bed, they aren't near ready to have blossoms, but they are growing fine. Any suggestions will be greatly appriciated!

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I've never grown cucumbers so I can't help you with that one. Hopefully someone will come along who can or maybe a separate topic in the veggie section?

For me it was a productive morning. I've over half way with the back yard lawn cutting yeah. And then I raked up the cuttings and mixed them into the compost. I'd say my compost is probably 90 percent browns and 10 percent greens right now but I'm working on it. It's early in the season. Then I went out and cleaned the birdbath and filled it with clean water. The water has already turned the birdbath bowl red from the rust around here. But it looks ok.

[Linked Image]
I'm so pleased with my compost lately, been turning it almost every day and getting more water to it and it is finally doing what it is supposed to do! Got a few more carrots planted and more radishes, weeded and watered a little more. Got out early cause it is going to get hot today, the green house was already getting up there. I opened the front door of the green house early and then when I went back out a bird had flown in! She just kept hitting herself on the top of the greenhouse. I finally got the other door open and she finally found her way out. Now it is back to work flwr

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I plant my cuke seeds directly in the ground.

Yesterday I put in the rest of my veggie garden....This year I have potatoes, beets, turnips, beans, carrots,lettuce, onions, celery, peppers, tomatoes, cukes and pumpkins.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I hate it when the birds get trapped. It's so sad. I'm glad you were able to provide her a way out.

My roommate and I were just discussing dicon radishes. We both love them but neither of us have teeth so we were considering what we would have to do to eat them. Puree on toast maybe?

Congrats on all the planting.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yes puree of anything---I was thinking like with rhubarb---make up the pie ingredients sans the rhubarb--then measure o ut the rhubarb, then cook & pureee it-----then add to the other ingredients & then cook---the only thing I could see you needing would be perhaps some extra corn starch. why

or for that matter if you were just going to eat it as a veggie, just cook it until soft & either puree it or gum it.

why not why

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
My grandmother had rhubarb sauce on her table most of the year. Like applesauce, only rhubarb. Good stuff. She canned it that way.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Interesting I've heard of rhubarb chutney but not sauce. Considering how stringy rhubarb is did she strain it after cooking it down?

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
No, sliced it and cooked with sugar and a little water. The strings were there but short and manageable. Good on toast or bread or just as a side.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
We had rubarb sauce when I was a kid also. We also used it on meats, or as a side, like applesauce... In a few years I'll be getting some rubarb too! I got some tubers(?) from a friend, she called them strawberry rubarb and says they are really red. She got some starters from her grandmother who homesteaded here in WY, and this friend is 75, so these have been around a while! I got them last fall, didn't get them in the ground until this spring, but they all have little leaves so I'm happy about that!

I got out and completely turned over my compost heap, took some good stuff off the bottom, mixed it with top soil and added it to one on my perennial flower beds, then got the coreopsis planted, that has been wanting to get in the ground for a week now. Put in a new soaker hose in the green house that I got from town yesterday, picked more sugar snap peas and radishes, weeded and now I need some breakfast!!!!

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
wow you did great, and all before breakfast. Any time you want to come visit let me know lol.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
We have 2 dog pens that re put 1 ft pavers in to be the floor---(much easier than pouring concrete) BUT now a few times a year I have to lift the pavers and weed around them--(I pull them up by the roots)

well, that is what I began doing today (my in the garden work for today) for the 2nd time this year. Some of the weeds are just going to get trimmed & then We will put round up on them. although I hate to do that too much in case the dogs come to stay before a few weeks have passed--- why

it was "warm" outside today

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I think I would use a pre-emergent the next time I had to lift those pavers. That is a lot of work.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yea Rod said that---I thought to get the main part done & then use something to get rid of the surrounded area---That and we let it get away, Rod said he would have to weed eat it down first--and that would have been a mess (for me) to clean up.

But thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Rod will be so pleased that you agreed with him. grin

________

yikes, that sounds like a lot of work, Carol! I had a friend tell me just today that a 10% solution of vinegar would kill weeds. the solution we get in the store is only 5%, so not sure where you might get a 10% vinegar solution. I wouldn't think that would hurt the critters?? Not tried and tested, but I am going to keep it in mind.

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Well it is a lot of work but it is satifying.
I tried the vinegar thing---it didn't work for me--but then perhaps what I used was not strong enough. why

BTW: when I went out to water (the weather man said it was not going to rain after all tonight) it was so much cooler so I weeded for another 45 minutes. now half of the larger pen is done. thumbup

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Vinegar off the shelves will only kill off the tops of plants but they will come back from the roots ( my kid's science project 1999). I have never found the stronger stuff. But the vinegar is safe to use around pools on weeds in cracks in the sidewalks, etc. If used consistently it works well. And safe around pets and kids. But you need to keep at it at least weekly.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I used ammonia for weeds here but wouldn't recommend it for use around pets. Have you thought about lifting all the blocks, putting down a good heavy duty weed barrier then putting the blocks back in place. Alot of work at the time but would last for many years.

I weeded for a bit last night...the weeds grow faster than the vegetable seedlings.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Have you thought about lifting all the blocks, putting down a good heavy duty weed barrier then putting the blocks back in place. Alot of work at the time but would last for many years.

and you know, I even have some weed barrier already bought---I have it left from my old garden.---perhaps I can lay it down in Dante's pen--that one gets used more. Thanks for the idea thumbup

________

So I was looking on-line and found a 10% solution and a 20% solution at a company called Marshall Grain Company. Not sure what shipping would be. But I am going to look into this. We have an area where we don't want anything to grow and I hate using insecticide, but nothing else will get rid of the weeds, which is the only thing that will grow in the area. It is our frustrating issue, to fight the weeds so the pretties can grow! flwr

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
********************New one opened. This one is closed**************************

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image