Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
It really is....It was a wonderful size and shape. It'll be too expensive to replace. It was originally bought at a nursery over 10 years ago.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Sunflowers
It really is....It was a wonderful size and shape. It'll be too expensive to replace. It was originally bought at a nursery over 10 years ago.

I dont suppose you could leave it for a year or so??

We had a large fir tree out at the farm. My youngest brought it home as a twig one arbor day when she was a young child. Well, the year we sold the farm, it turned all brown-- Lucky for it, the people who bought our place, were too lazy to cut it down....the next year it came back alive & well, & is still doing well today...who woulda thought??? So perhaps you could treat it a few more times & just let it be for the season??? why

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I'm scared the whitefly will spread to my other plants...I am honestly thinking of dousing it with fuel and setting it on fire. Wonder if that would scorch the ground enough. I'm sure it'll kill the flies and eggs.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I got to play in the compost today. I've been meaning to get out there but it's been to hot or I've had other commitments. So today before it started to rain i managed to move 3 pails of finished compost to the future birdbath flower bed and incorporate it with the clay. Another 3 buckets and it should be ready for me to plant some nice seeds. Unfortunately that's all I got to do so far today.

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
I raked grass today. I hate raking grass. Hoping to finally get the flower seeds planted in the side bed today.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I hope you got your flower seeds planted I didn't manage that today.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I didn't plant my seeds today either. But I did get more compost in the new flower bed and scrapped up my compost pile so I could get to the rest of the finished compost on the bottom. Then I cut down some of the weeds over by my blueberries. And I have to say I have a huge crop of blackberries on the wild canes. I wish those suckers didn't spread the way they do they are everywhere.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Sounds like my raspberries..It got to the point where I dug out even the main plant to get rid of them.

Today I am spreading mulch...

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by tkhooper
. And I have to say I have a huge crop of blackberries on the wild canes. I wish those suckers didn't spread the way they do they are everywhere.

Wish I had Blackberries... rolz

________

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Watchout what you wish for I may send you a cane. Nah, I wouldn't be that mean.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Planted up the new fence garden and mulched two flower beds.

Haven't done anything outside for days! Rain, rain and more rain! But my grass is wonderfully green, and I seem to see my flowers growing day by day!

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Finally I planed the seeds in the birdbath flowerbed. I planted yellow 4 o'clocks, peach pom pom zinnia, and red cockscomb. I hope everything comes up. I think it will look awsome. At least that is the hope.

[Linked Image]
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
Watered everything today. Way too dry and we could use a rain.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Last night I watered everything, added a layer of topsoil to my asparagus & weeded it some, and then I made little moats around my veggies & herbs so when I water, said water does not run off but stays in the area I need it in. I have been using that method for over 30 years---& I love it !!!!

it is looking like I may have to re-plant a few asparaguis plants this fall... why

________

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hey suzydaze long time no see.

With me the moats fill in with the loose topsoil to quickly for it to be really effective. Maybe I'm watering to hard?

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I think one has to use clay soil to make teh moats with, or at very least make a slurry out of clay soil to coat said softer soil with---after that dries hard it will be ok to hold up.
and yes about teh hard watering, I use a soaker,or a shower type of spray, or a watering can, to water in my moats. why

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Weeded today...this Fall I need to work on my garden soil. Seems like the rocks are growing lol I find my soil isn't as soft this year...going to have to compost and peat moss it before Winter.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
...and I cut down my beloved Christmas Lights tree boohoo . It was in bad shape and looked awful at the end of our driveway.

...and I cut down my beloved Christmas Lights tree boohoo . It was in bad shape and looked awful at the end of our driveway.

tears Sympathies for your lost tree, Sunflowers.

I did have to water the green house today...with all the rain we have been having I haven't thought about watering...but at least I have barrels of rainwater. My plants were happy.

Sounds like a colorful combination tk. I bought some cosmos and four o'clock seeds to fill in for the bare space I made when I pulled the wild holyhocks out. Maybe if by next year the holyhocks don't come back I'll find a nice perennial or two for that area!

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I love having a mix of perennials and annuals. I always want to plant some seeds. And I like having flowers that will bloom most of the growing season along with the ones that will pop up for a couple of weeks and then die back.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts

......... kissie but at least it was your idea---

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I'm sorry, Sunny.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Today I did more weeding. The sidewalk bed, sidewalk, and front foundation beds are all weed free for awhile anyway. Then I pruned the miniature roses that had been hit by blackspot so bad. I'm happy to say they are comming back although they may be less than full for awhile. That blackspot was really bad this year.

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Stephen built my lettuce lattice yesterday and I got it full of garden soil. Today we plant the lettuce and I think I'm going to put my Thumbalina Carrots in there today also.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Do you have pictures of your lattice? I'd love to see it.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Well I got a lot of little things done this morning.

I pulled up the thistles that were my height out of the defunct veggie bed. I still have to get all of the fever few out of there.

I started to cut the grass and the shield fell off of the weed wacker. It's always something with the lawn. I think the weeds jinx whatever is taken out there to cut them down.

I had a new blackberry lily in a small pot that needed to be transplanted. So today I took it out to the ditchbed and planted it.

I watered the birdbath flowerbed even though it is likely to rain. If I hadn't the rain would have held off and I really want those seeds to have every opportunity to sprout.

I filled another pot with compost for the container garden on the deck. And then I pulled two more of the large pots out of the shed to add to that project. Then I pulled some of the larger weeds out of the side foundation bed I'm not sure exactly how to attack the weeds that are growing on the edge of the blacktop on the wrong side of the flower bed edging.

Then I rescued a pot that had fallen off of the deck. Kitty rubs against everything and sometimes the pots aren't heavy enough to withstand the attention.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I mowed, mowed and mowed some more...cr@ppy dandelions.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I thought I could use the rake in the veggie bed to get up all the weeds...not happening. Soil is as hard as "clay" lol. But I did get the new flower bed watered. It's full of sprouts but I think they are crabgrass sprouts. Somehow my compost pile didn't get hot enough last year it seems. Fun more weeds. Other than that I dug up the last of the finished compost and put it in the containers. Now I just have to decide what will go in them this year.

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
This morning it was pole saw work. Getting the branches that want to lean on my roof in front of my house. And everything leaning over the house that the saw could reach. I love having the shade tunnel to walk in front of my porch. It is cooling and keeps me private. But I want a few inches in case of fires or something. Just a little room to play with.
I got all of that cut up and piled for removal onto the road before the bugs chased me in.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
I will take pictures of my lettuce lattice tomorrow. My camera's battery is dead.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Thanks I look forward to seeing them. Today I planted the bunching onions. since it was a seed exchange I don't know if these are actually green onions, scallions, chinese green onions or something else. I hope they come up I'm curious now.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I use bunching onions here just for the green tops.

Today I weeded my garden, planted my yellow beans and planted my other boxwood.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
today I adjusted some of my moats, I added 40 pounds of topsoil to my new asparagus beds---(all but 2 of my new plants have come up. ) thumbup
I weeded my "rock garden"
(what I call my rocked area in the back, my SIL calls my rock garden)
and I watered most everything, as I will not be home likley tomorrow night to do it

________

There just isn't too much to do at the moment in my gardens!!! Always watering, but only the green house as the sprinkler system takes care of watering the rest! And when I run out of water in my rain barrels the sprinkler system will take care of the green house also! I still have seedling flowers in the green house hopefully I will get them planted on Monday. I'll leave them outside for the next 2 nights, then maybe they'll be ready for the ground. The weather is finally supposed to be nice. I did work on my compost for a long while the other day. I know I need to water it more and get it stirred up more often....it is just not as fun as playing with the vegies and flowers! Maybe I'll feed the lawn today flwr

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Well today I worked in the container garden until it was time to meet a friend for breakfast.

I choose to plant Sunflower 'Teddybear' in one of the medium size pots. Hopefully it is short enough that it won't knock over the pot. I love the look of these sunflowers and hope that the seeds are not to old to sprout.

I planted the seeds harvested from Light yellow lilliput zinnia. (I hope they come true to form. Although I'll take any color I can get. And then the questions becomes will they be single, double, or pom pom blooms. I'm hoping for pom pom of course.

I have some lemon cosmos that I planted in one of the other medium sized pots. It may be to small to do them justice but I decided to try anyway. If I can manage it I might also plant them out at the back of the ditchbed. That is if I ever get the grass tamed out there.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I weeded a small flower bed, than the flies took over.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I surrounded my house in bug spray. All along the eaves and around the windows. I like some of them outdoors but do not want to welcome them inside. That is about the only outdoor thing done here this day.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Took a walk in the greenhouse yesterday morning and everything was fine! Opened it all up as we were supposed to have a nice day. So yesterday around 4 I took a walk through and gasped! Almost all my potatoe plants had fallen over. yikes these plants have gotten huge! This is my high bed, 32" off the ground, with the back of the bed next to an outer wall so when they fell over, they were draped on the outside of the raised bed. They never got this big outside. So I wheelbarreled dirt and propped them all with dirt, knowing I'll get even more potatoes. But 5 wheel barrels full of dirt later.... and a sore back! They look ok, but a lot of the branches of the plants broke when they fell over. I'm going to get some stakes today when I go to town and just put stakes in the front of the bed and rope the front of the bed so they can drape over the rope rather than fall all the way over the side of the bed. I think that will work! unless anyone else has better ideas!

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
No ideas here. I've never grown potatoes. I haven't done anything yet I'm hoping that around 6 it will cool off and I can do a few things.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image