Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#356619 May 9th, 2012 at 09:34 PM
OP Offline
I planted the one year old crowns 2 years ago and followed every instruction and they grew lovely ferns or fronds.

Well so far this year I thought was the year I would pick a few spears for just 2 weeks. But only 6 shoots have even come up and now they're looking pretty sad.

I read about how to do this everywhere and couple places said to cut down the plant when it turned brown in fall and one said add to compost. I took that to mean compost it in compost pile. But I read now on this forum an article about asparagus that I should have left them on the bed and not cut down. I also added 1 inch of leaf mold and 2 inches of compost in the fall. So did I just bury the poor things and they can't find their way out? We've had a very dry winter but even after 4 weeks of good rains no change.

I was going to add picture of how they looked last year and this year but I'm new to this and haven't figured out how to add a picture yet. I can point you toward a blog entry from today where I'm putting the pictures. Ember's Garden

Thanks for your help!

HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Hopefully someone here will be able to help you. When I had asparagus, we harvested it until a certain date and then let the rest go to seed. I just left it go until early spring when I cleaned off the dead stuff and waited for the asparagus to grow again.

Did you cut it off before it went fully to seed??

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
I don't think so but I did try to remove the seeds from the females because I didn't want the crowns I had to be further crowded and it was recommended to remove them. I'm worried that I messed up by removing the wilted plants before they were dead enough, they had turned brown mostly but not entirely. Or perhaps it was cutting them down too far?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image