Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#356511 May 6th, 2012 at 11:11 AM
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
My pepper plants look better than ever, but this year I took the seed from a recent fresh red pepper I bought in a grocery store and also planted some of the ones I had in a package from last year or from the year before. Not one of the package seeds came out for whatever reason, but all of the fresh pepper seeds popped out and are producing beautiful plants.
Hopefully these plants will produce fruit because I read some store produce are hybrid grown and not everything produces fruit or vegetables. Anyone know about using seed from fresh peppers?

I couldn't resist, those seeds always look so plump, I couldn't throw them away.

HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
I think alot of produce bought from the store are hybrid now....and alot of hybrids are sterile. Tho, sometimes you do get ones that grow. I've never had any luck with them, but the fact that the seeds sprouted is encouraging! Keep us updated on your pepper plants! :)

[Linked Image]
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
They did fruit, guess I was just lucky. Some of the produce around here is locally grown and we do have a organic section in our grocery stores, so the seed should be good coming from those peppers, but who knows for sure now a days. .

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image