Rate Thread
#356448 May 4th, 2012 at 01:31 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Back in September we had major flooding here. The creek that goes around my town and on through the next few towns rose over 15 feet and went over it's banks horribly causing alot of damage. Somebody's 50 gallon, pre-formed pond floated off of their property and ended up on the side of the road. After it sat there unclaimed for 4 or 5 days, we brought it home. I'm thinking of adding it to the flower beds in the front or on the side of the house. I just don't know where it's best to put it.

If I put it in the front flower bed, it would get sun for 4-6 hours of the day. The flower bed is west facing and there is a tree about 12 feet to the west of the flower bed, so the sun that it would get wouldn't quite be direct sun. The pond would be put close to a Burning Bush that I have at the corner of the bed. I realize that in the fall I'd have to be careful with leaves falling into the pond...I'd probably just get some netting to cover the pond for the fall. I have a small table and a couple chairs on the porch near this location.

If I put the pond on the other corner of the flower bed (where the side bed and the front bed meet), it would be south facing and would get full sun for 8-10 hours each day, depending on the season. I plan to have wild flowers growing in that area. Anyone coming to the front door would see the pond in this location.

So, of these two spots, which is the best location for the pond? I have read that the direct sun will help algae to grow which is why I considered the west facing location for the pond. Where would you put the pond?

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 #356449 May 4th, 2012 at 02:33 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Algae grows in my mostly shaded pond. I used feeder gold fish for years to help keep that cleaned up, some. Until a stork came and feasted. And I just scooped floating leaves. You will need to keep a close eye on your kids, too. My son's favorite thing is to throw stuff in the pond.
Put it where you feel it will work best for you. I am not sure that the sun makes that much difference. If you don't use fish you can dump chlorine bleach in it in the evenings to keep down algae.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
hisgal2 #356450 May 4th, 2012 at 02:44 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
I don't know that this pond is large enough for fish. Tho, I haven't done much research on requirements for fish...I do know about the 24" depth for them to over winter.

Wouldn't bleach hurt any plants I'd have in the pond???? ...or is it diluted enough that it wouldn't hurt them?

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 #356459 May 5th, 2012 at 01:18 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Both the sun and bleach will affect types of plants you may want in your pond. There are pond cleaners available in pond places that may help keep it clean. There is also some type of snail. I never had to worry about overwintering in my zone. But even if, my pond was plenty deep enough. The feeder fish I purchased were something like 10/$1. They are meant for feeding to other animal pets. And plants were always consumed by other animals. Raccoons love water hyacinth, for instance.
I hope someone comes along and has better answers for you than I do. Good luck, Jenn.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
hisgal2 #356462 May 5th, 2012 at 03:08 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
My pond gets full day direct sun. It has a large waterfall, keeping the water moving, but that said, it has been full of string algae the past 2 years. Once a bird drops a piece in, or it comes in on a plant, it is hard to erradicate. The only thing that has helped it a bit, is pouring hydrogen peroxide down the waterfall. I do have fish in the pond and would never consider putting bleach in it. We have to be careful about how much hydrogen peroxide we use also. The pond always gets the pea soup algae in the beginning of each season while the pond is first warming up, but that can be handled with some minor chemicals if you don't have fish.

I agree that racoons and other critters will most likely want to, at the very least, take drinks from your pond. Do you have feral cats around - they will be curious about it as well.

My main concern about your pond, is mosquitoes, if you will not be having water moving at all. A bubbler would be a nice touch, if you can hook up some electricity nearby. Also, if you are not going to have fish, you can use mosquito dunks - most gardening centers sell them around here.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image