Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi everyone,

I'm really excited to be here with so many fellow plant lovers and look forward to getting to know you!

Background History: Two years ago, my roommate (who knows nothing about plants) carelessly planted a little yellow rose bush under a big leafy busy in my front yard. For two years, the little rose bush persevered. Despite being almost completely obscured by the huge bush, the young plant pushed itself out through the tangle of leaves in order to drink up the little sunlight that was available to it there, and survived. Last fall, I finally took compassion on it. I created a space for it in the garden out front, inserted good dirt, and planted it there. The plant at last seemed happy!

Problem: But one problem emerged this spring. My plant began to develop brownish spots on its leaves. I do not like the look of these spots. They make me think of disease. I will do anything to save my plant so it can continue to produce beautiful yellow roses, but know little about plant diseases. Can anyone give suggestions on what this might be and whether I can stop the disease before it gets worse? See the photos below...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give!

Danny

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
This is a fungal disease called Black Spot. The prevention is to clean all litter from under and around your plant and throw it away. Cut off all infected leaves and toss them in the trash, not a compost pile. Water on the ground only, early in the day without getting the leaves wet. And continue with this course of action for organic control.
If you are not necessarily going organic there are some chemicals that can help. Bayer has one in the garden section of most nurseries.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Great rescue!
I would make sure it is well nourished. The Bayer rose product does this as well.
Good luck.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image