Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hello all,

First, I've been though countless "bug" posts, but haven't seen anything that looks exactly like what I have. Though it could be that I just have such a bad infestation that mine looks worse than what I've seen so far. I know I don't have NEW bugs...I just haven't seen something that matches this exactly. Maybe I have more than one bug???

growing habaneros, serranos, and jalapenos. For kicks, I picked up a hot banana pepper plant at my local big home improvement store.

Unfortunately, after about a week I seem to have a HUGE infestation on the store bought plant, and I'm worried about my other peppers. They've been separated for now, but it's just another part of the house (outdoors), and I'm worried the "flies" may find their way their since there are now so many of them.

The good news (so far) is they seem to mostly stay stuck to the plant and not fly around too much. There seems to be three different things, maybe they are just phases of the bug's life. Little white dots on the underside of leaves, egg casings (?) on the main plant stem, and black flies hanging around, mostly stuck to the plant.

Any ideas on:
1) What they are, and
2) How to get rid of them?

Thanks.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Thanks!

Last edited by natebetween; Apr 22nd, 2012 at 06:24 AM.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, Nate. I do not know what they are. I think you have two types going on there. But I am not sure. Insecticidal soap is my cure all for what is ailing you though. I put about a teaspoon of a store brand (or dishwashing liquid detergent) into about a quart spray bottle of water and spray my plants that are infested. If you keep it up, it gets rid of most of these pesky things.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
I second the soapy spray. I can't tell if this is 2 different types of bug or just one. Perhaps try to brush a couple of the little egg-looking things (first picture) into a container and watch to see what happens. You'll be able to see if it's an entire life cycle or 2 different species.

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Thanks all.

Well, I tried a solution of dish soap and vegetable oil per another website. I was going to try to use the jalapeno spray, but we were planning on using the jalapenos tonight for our pizza! :-)

I manually removed as many of the flies, eggs, and other remnants as I could. I also sprayed the soil a little bit, just in case any fell off the plant. I'll keep an eye out over the next few days, and reapply as necessary.

Still would like to know what the heck those bugs are. Can't identify the flies so far. I'm hoping the solution dries out any remaining eggs.

HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Has the soap solution worked for your plant??

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Seems to be working so far. Sprayed it twice in the last 3 days and removed as much of the leftover eggs/casings as I could. I haven't seen anything flying around it yesterday or today. I think I'll hold back on spraying any more and let the plant recover a bit. Gonna be a few days of cold, wet weather, but after that we'll see how it does when it heats up again.

Score one for the non-bugs? Maybe I shouldn't get too cocky yet, but the bugs seemed to have been pushovers....at least in this case. :-)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image