Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#355880 Apr 18th, 2012 at 05:55 AM
lyja00 Offline OP
OP Offline
My husband and I planted a yoshino cherry tree last year and I still have yet to see a bloom. There are plenty of leaves and new branches but not one flower. The tree has been through a lot with deer eating the leaves last year (supposed to be deer resistant) and back in January of this year someone actually backed over it and broke the trunk which isnt very big anyway. The tree survived as did the driver of the vehicle (I wanted to kill him lol) and went on to produce a lot of new branches and leaves. When can I expect this tree to flower?

lyja00 #355905 Apr 18th, 2012 at 09:26 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi, Wow...poor tree.

Has it bloomed before? It just might not be old enough yet to produce fruit. It took 10 years for me to get plums on my plum tree.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
lyja00 Offline OP
OP Offline
it had a few blooms when we bought it but it hasnt bloomed since we put it in the ground. It has a lot of new growth ie leaves and branches but not the first bloom....

lyja00 #355950 Apr 20th, 2012 at 12:12 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, lyja. Next fall, you can try to shock the tree into blooming a little. Dig around the roots as though you are going to dig it up. Just drive a shovel in about a foot or so away from the trunk all around it. But don't actually dig it up. When a tree or shrub is fearful of dying it sometimes goes on a fast track to reproducing itself. I did that with a delayed orange tree. it seemed to help. And I've used it to get wisteria to bloom.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image