Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#355532 Apr 4th, 2012 at 09:25 AM
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Last year I attempted to grow a hot Chili pepper plant indoors from seed. Only one germinated and hardly grew after that, even after I put it out into a garden pot. This year I am attempting it again. Again a little seedling came out, (just one) but it is taking forever to grow any more. Do hot chili peppers require special conditions, temperatures and soil?

I plant regular peppers every year, sometimes from the actual seeds from peppers bought in the produce department. My plants are doing really good this year. I almost always have a good harvest, and there is nothing like seeing that little baby pepper forming from the bud.
It would be cool to grow a little chili pepper as well.

DaisyM #355533 Apr 4th, 2012 at 09:55 AM
Hot peppers germinate and grow better with some sort of heat source underneath them. I add heat while growing all peppers (until they move outside of course). I have found that mine germinate the best when the soil is about 80 degrees Fahrenheit. I have also successfully grown hot peppers in excess of 85 degree soil temp. I hope this helps

DaisyM #355552 Apr 5th, 2012 at 09:40 AM
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, it does help. During the day the window that I have them starting in have plenty of sunshine. Although I'm not sure how much heat they get from underneath. We do have a granite counter top which does absorb some of the sun's heat. Is there any other way to increase the heat, how about lining the bottom tray with tinfoil?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image