Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#355308 Mar 28th, 2012 at 01:59 AM
KellyP Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a Crimson King Maple Tree its about 24yrs ago its has been doing well until the middle of last year. All the leaves wilted off and there are no new buds it also had a crack in the bark half way up the tree and has white patches on the bark. I'm pretty sure it is dead but also wanted to know what others think. I have always loved this tree since my dad planted it when he built my house.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome Kelly. If it has shown no signs of life, I agree it is probably dead. I am so sorry. Before replacing it, I would contact my local extension to try to track down what killed it. If it was some sort of soil born disease, it could kill off any replacements. An arborist can look at your tree and maybe tell you the most likely causes.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
What a dissappointment I had this am when I went out to my green house and saw that my radishes which had come up recently were suffering. boohoo I think it was the "rolly pollies" I found. madd I know really technical term there, but not sure what they are really called. Those little crawly things that roll up and look like a spot of dirt when rolled up. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them? I did make up a solution of soap and Neem oil and sprayed the bed, but if anyone has any better ideas I am open to suggestions.

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
I doubt they killed your tree because they mostly eat rotting vegetation (dead tree) and sometimes they pick over new sprouts of plants but, if you want to get rid of them I use sulfer dust around new seedlings to keep them away, just a light coating.

Verticillium wilt and Girdling roots might be something to look at for the cause.

Last edited by twizzlestick; Mar 31st, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Use a little Diatomaceous earth around your plantings, Bobbi. But wash it off your hands and things because it is extremely drying. That is the thing to use for pill bugs (aka:roly poly).

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
thanks, Tina, I'm going to town today so I'll be able to pick some up....I think I like roly poly better!!!!

Bobbie

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image