Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#351966 Jan 9th, 2012 at 01:52 AM
OP Offline
rspb So last fall is when I first got on this web page, asking about my bug problem in my new green house...actually it is more like a souped up hoop house! After the battles, I think I had 2 problems that I never really did take care of, one is the spider mites that attacked my pole beans and cukes, the other was the aphids that attacked my corn. I first sprayed both sides of all leaves with soapy water, after that did not work I got some neem oil and sprayed both sides with that solution. I worked really hard on the corn, making sure everywhere was sprayed with the neem oil solution. I finally just pulled the infected plants, which was all of them. Keep in mind this was over about a 6-8 week period, as you always want to give each application enough time. But the aphids just got worse. So my question is.....will they winter kill? We haven't had the severe cold yet (below 0 for days at a time), but we usually get some kind of cold snap when the temp gets down to -20. After reading about neem oil, it is also used as a preventative, so I plan on watering every 3 weeks ago with the neem oil solution. Anything else I should do or be doing. thanks

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
It sounds like you are doing all that you can. I'm thinking that the aphids and other bugs can live over if they find the right hiding places or have placed their eggs in a good one.
I think you have a good plan in place for prevention. I wish you well for your next years crops.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Lady bugs will eat aphids. If you don't have lady bugs naturally, you can buy them online. They ship to your house and all you do is open the container and voila! There is also a bug that is called an "aphid eater". If you Google it, you can find places to buy them. I haven't looked at the prices for either of them tho....we don't have much of a problem with them where I live.

Good luck with your garden this year!

[Linked Image]
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Getting rid of aphids is no easy task. Large masses of them seem to appear overnight and without quick treatment, they can overwhelm and kill a plant. Using an organic, homemade aphid control is best for your plants, the environment and beneficial bugs in your garden. And yes hisgal2 is right! Ladybugs and lacewings are both highly affective predators of aphids. These insects can easily be purchased live from many online vendors or lured to your yard using Safer Ladybug Lures. Keep lady bugs in the neighborhood by supplying them with a lady bug house (yes, that's a real thing). Wrens are also known to eat aphids. Accommodate these birds by placing houses in trees.

You can kill aphids by spraying, especially under the leaves, with a solution of 2 tsp mild dish or laundry soap to a bottle of luke warm water. The soap washes off the aphid's protective waxy coating and causes dehydration. Spray the plant every day until the plant is aphid free. You can also mix three parts luke warm water to one part vegetable or horticultural oil and a couple drops of dish soap. This mixture can be sprayed on to clog the respiratory spiracles of aphids. Spray once a week taking turns between solutions. If using these solutions on food plants, be sure to wash them before eating. If using the oil solution, don't spray on very hot and sunny days as the oil can magnify the sun and possibly harm the plant.

#352231 Jan 15th, 2012 at 01:47 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the continuting possible help for my aphids. I am not totally convinced they will be gone when I begin planting again. As NE WY is considered high desert, we don't have many lady bugs, but I think I am going to look into that. When I was spraying last summer I didn't spray everyday....maybe that would have been the key! Also this is in a green house, so the wrens won't come in! I do have open windows most of the summer and didn't seem to have any trouble with bees flying around. I'll let you know about the lady bugs! flwr

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Aphids can rapidly take over a greenhouse because they are able to reproduce so quickly, making it hard to get rid of an infestation. Keep weeds out of your greenhouse, as aphids are attracted to them.

1k Posts
1k Posts
Insects are drawn to distressed plants because they give off an elevated heat signature. Your greenhouse is probably kept too moist causing the plants to work extra hard to survive. Over-watering is very easy to do. All of the excess foliar spraying made things worse. Most plants do not like their leaves to be wet for long periods of time.

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

RugbyHukr #354916 Mar 16th, 2012 at 09:37 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
That sounds crazy.......mealbugs on my least watered plants.. wahhhhhhhhhhh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image