Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#354627 Mar 9th, 2012 at 05:03 AM
OP Offline
I have a large garden with Azaleas that have been there for a long time (extensive root system). This garden is FULL of weeds that have been there, probably, just as long. I've tried to weed it and dig out some of the weed-roots (there are MANY)...the weeds all came back anyway. My question is this...is there a chemical weed-root killer out there that will not touch the Azalea roots - but kill the weeds (roots and all)? I know alot of whats on the market today says that it won't touch anything but weeds, but I want to hear from someone who has actually experienced it not touching anything but weeds.

#354628 Mar 9th, 2012 at 05:07 AM
OP Offline
I have a large garden with Azaleas that have been there for a long time (extensive root system). This garden is FULL of weeds that have been there, probably, just as long. I've tried to weed it and dig out some of the weed-roots (there are MANY)...the weeds all came back anyway. My question is this...is there a chemical weed-root killer out there that will not touch the Azalea roots - but kill the weeds (roots and all)? I know alot of whats on the market today says that it won't touch anything but weeds, but I want to hear from someone who has actually experienced it not touching anything but weeds.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, drogers. If the weeds are all grasses then there is stuff you can spray that won't kill off the azaleas. I use Fusilade to kill grass in banks of ivy. It sometimes temporarily damages some of the ivy leaves but they come back when the grasses do not.
Other than that, I do not know of anything that is truly selective.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Umm, if you are still checking back for advice, I'd be willing to advise you according to what I know...it may be that the areas with weeds simply aren't conducive to azalea gardening, or it may be that there's an easy answer, but without more information, there's no simple answer...I haven't been on this site for a while, but I'm willing to check back to give my advice, if I have anything helpful to offer. It may be that you have to change some of the cultural setting rather than using chemical weed control.

dave
OP Offline
I moved into this house and the garden with it's azaleas and weeds had been there for many years (there appears to be mostly large leaf weeds, and some grass-weeds). I tried to weed the garden by hand, removing as many weeds (and their roots) as I could...the ground is almost SOLID with the root systems. But since they have come back, I would like to try a chemical fix...one that however will kill the weeds and their roots, but leave the azaleas alone. I'm thinking that I just need to scrap the whole garden - remove many layers of dirt, and just start over. I wanted to save the azaleas though.

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Are the Azaleas in full sun, or are the weedy areas in full sun? Are the weeds annuals or perennials, in other words, do they die back to the ground every year? Like Tina said, there's probably not much you can spray to kill broadleaf weeds. How tall are the weeds? The azaleas?

dave
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, if there is room to carefully spray between and under the azalea shrubs, it can be done. But it takes diligence for sure. But maybe a little less diligence and work than weeding constantly.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
I have had success with the sprays (Round Up) but be ware they are not forgiving.

BFVISION

OP Offline
Unfortunately, we moved into this house YEARS after the Azaleas were planted and the weeds moved in - and never touched. I'm trying to 'fix' it, while saving the Azaleas. If you can come up with anything, I'd be willing to hear it!

OP Offline
The Azaleas are 5-6 feet, while the weeds are about a foot. Not too tall, but there are alot of them! The garden is in a part. sunny-sunny location.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
In that case, I would knock down the weeds any way I could and then lay down a weed barrier of some kind over them. Either weed cloth or cardboard or newspaper covered with anything weighted to keep it in place. Something that will allow water through but not light.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image