Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
OP Offline
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
My garden is a mess and I'm broke so I was thinking of buying some seed packets as they are much cheaper than buying plants. My idea is to start them indoors then transplant later. I know I've heard of using egg cartons as seed starters. Has anyone done this? Good idea? Bad idea? Too small? I've never grown completely from scratch before and I don't want to go another year being depressed that my garden looks like crap just because I'm tight on money. Thanks so much!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
alot of people start seeds like that, eagg carton just seems too small to me, you'd have to up the size as soon as it sprouted

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
I'm just a beginner, but we had great success with starting seeds in cups or in the ground, depending on the plant. I begged and traded for a lot, too. I went to every free garden event I could find, and they often gave out free seeds. Are there local garden clubs or organizations that might have events near you? We have a Master Gardener program with a beautiful set up and they do some nice events. We also have a Native Plant Society and lots of plant-specific clubs. They require membership to join, but they have a few events open to the public where I got some free seeds and plants last year.

Do you have an active Craigslist or Freecycle community in your area? Those can be great resources for free seeds/plants/equipment, too.

I also remember seeing photos from my farmer girlfriend last year starting seeds in plastic milk containers. I'll see if I can find the picture and download it here. Or maybe it's fast to do an internet search:

Ok I just searched this on Yahoo "start seeds in plastic milk container" and got tons of results for starting seeds in recycled containers of all kinds...

Good luck and have fun!
~Beth~

Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I use cups too, cheap ones from the dollar store work good, poke a hole in the bottom, I use the 8.5 oz size, seems to be a good size and carries over til time to move to the yard. I have pretty much stared all my plants from seeds, or dug up off empty lots

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
OP Offline
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Thanks so much for the ideas. Going to google right now!

I started all my plants from seeds last year and used oragami newspaper boxes. Then I planted them directly into the ground. You can find how to make the boxes on-line. I am lucky enough to have indoor lighting which I know helps. But I followed Jerry Baker's plan, plant the seeds using moist soil and mist with a solution of 2 cups water mixed with 1 drop whiskey, 2 drops liquid soap, and 2 drops amonia. Cover with a damp towel that has been damped with above "tea" mixture. Check every day, rinsing the towel and then dampening again with the tea solution. After 4 days move to a sunny window or put under lights, keeping the light only 1-2 inches away from the containers, moving the light away from the light as the plants grow. Having the light far away from seedlings is what makes them spindly. If you have them in a window turn them often so they will grow straight. I may have given you more information than you need, just letting you know how I did it! flwr
Happy growing

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
Well that makes for happy plants I guess, just one question, what do you do with the extra whiskey lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Originally Posted by suzydaze
Well that makes for happy plants I guess, just one question, what do you do with the extra whiskey lol
Are you supposed to have extra? adrink

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
lol, maybe not, I guess the extra makes for a happy gardener

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
With suzy around , there is no extras.......... lol Gotcha girlie yikes

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
lol but we're all happy, that's what counts

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
OP Offline
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Beth, thank you do much for the freecycle recommendation. I've never heard of it before and thanks to you I'm picking up some free veggie seeds tomorrow. Now, where to plant them....

Originally Posted by chermoni
Beth, thank you do much for the freecycle recommendation. I've never heard of it before and thanks to you I'm picking up some free veggie seeds tomorrow. Now, where to plant them....
Yay! I'm glad you got some seeds. Freecycle Rocks! ~Beth~

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Chermoni

Please pm your address a..I can send you some seeds to start a new bed of flowers. Free

dodge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I've had good luck starting veggies indoors, not great with flowers, but wildflower mixes and zinnias, sunflowers, etc. direct sown tend to work great. Suzydaze, in case of extra whiskey, I'm running low...not to beg or anything, lol!

dave
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Watch that suzie , she likes a good party........

When the moonshines, so does she..LOL
kissie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
lmao okay now, I ask you two to come. why do you think i use paper cups notme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,813
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image