Print Thread
Rate Thread
#354091 Feb 25th, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
OP Offline
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
I have found out what happened to Spartacus, and he is very lucky to be alive. I will be taking him to his doctor Monday for tests to find out if he has kidney damage. The necropsies of pets that have died from this listed "Vitamin D Toxicity" (Vitamin D3 is a supplement in Purina's food) as the cause.
Purina Pet Food Recall

You need to check for recalls right now on your pet food. 90% of all pet food is made in one huge facility in Canada (Menu Foods). Yes, Science Diet, Purina, Iams, Eukanuba...most of the big name brand pet foods.

Menu Foods manufactures both low cost and high end pet food products. It manufactures pet food for 17 of the top 20 North American retailers, including PetSmart, Safeway, Wal-Mart, Pet Valu, Kroger, and Ahold USA. It is also a contract manufacturer of branded pet food products, manufacturing for five of the top six branded companies in North America, including Procter & Gamble,[8][9][10] for which it is the exclusive supplier of canned wet pet food sold under the Iams brand, P&G having sold its South Dakota plant to Menu Foods in 2003.[11] Menu Foods also produces Loblaws' President's Choice, A&P's Master Choice, Sobeys's Compliments, Safeway's Select, [12] Eukanuba, and Nutro.[10]
Menu is the only private-label supplier and contract manufacturer in North America offering wet pet food in pouch format.[13]
The plants produce wet pet food in aluminum and steel cans at a rate of 1,000 cans per minute, or 1,110 85-gram pouches per minute. Jointly, the plants are able to produce over one billion containers a year.[14]

Since I have been researching this tonight I found out that not only the Fancy Feast I have been feeding Spartacus was "tainted", but also the Friskie's dry food. I just went to the kitchen and dumped his bowls of Fancy Feast dry, Friskie's dry, and threw away all the cans of Fancy Feast I have left.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
OP Offline
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I just sent this information to my DD who has 2 dogs & 2 cats.
Thanks for posting this Cindy. and I am so thankful that Spartacus is ok & that you know the problem.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #354100 Feb 25th, 2012 at 01:30 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl

Thanks for posting this Cindy. and I am so thankful that Spartacus is ok & that you know the problem.

Me Too thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good luck with Sparta's exams, Cindy. This is so bad.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Emmy eats purina smart blend,, I think I'll start researching it too Cindy,, She's been on the same dry food for 3 years, and I add 1/2 can of purina wet to her food 3 times a week. Wondering now If I should change brands??

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Sunflowers #354118 Feb 26th, 2012 at 04:06 AM
The only way to really feed your pets and know 100% what they are getting is to raise/grow their food. That said, I feed my dogs a store bought kibble. If you look at this website, for example, doogfoodscoop.com you can see that even the premium brands like Evangers and Merrick, have had recalls. Proctor & Gamble bought out Natura which includes lots of holistic and high-end products. The FDA is supposed to regulate the industry, but there are politics everywhere you turn.

I've always just gone by feeding my dogs the best food I can afford based on the quality of the ingredients - the fewest by-products, the fewest preservatives, the fewest fillers.

Drsfostersmith website has a good article on how to choose quality cat food. They are not impartial since they sell pet food, but the guidelines might be useful to someone looking for a new pet food.

After the recalls in 2007, we actually were cooking dog food from scratch for a while but I got pregnant and the smell of chicken made me so sick. And with 4 dogs it was very expensive so we just couldn't afford it. But if I had just one or two dogs, I might go back to doing that.

It's tough to make a good choice. I don't feel 100% happy with my choice, but I do the best I can with what I can afford and hope it is the best thing for the dogs.

Sorry to go on and on. Animals are one of the few things I am over the moon passionate about so if I can help anyone, I can't keep my mouth shut! flwr Kisses to Spartacus! Feel better big guy.
~Beth~

And I just want to thank Cindy for lighting a fire under my butt to find a better dog food for my dogs. Looking at the website I mentioned in my previous post, I can definitely do better. Looking at those posts about the Purina food makes me mad!

Critter Keeper
5k Posts
Critter Keeper
5k Posts
Will start feeding my dogs Call of the Wild just have to find it think PetSmart may handle it other wise Tractor Supply in Mansfield @ least that is the nearest one to me I know of. Thanks to Cindy and Leroy Moore for telling me this yesterday.

[Linked Image]
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says Keep it organic.

GOD BLESS THE U.S.A. Pray for our Troops!

Jimmy's Blog
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
The companies need to be held responsible for their actions.

On a different note, there was a recall on infant formula a few days ago. Get this: They found arsenic in certain brands of organic baby formula. shock

Sunflowers #354145 Feb 26th, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
OP Offline
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Arsenic in ORGANIC baby food????? shock
Everything is suspect at this point, I think.

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Yes, they announced a formula recall. I stayed up for hours to catch the news link.

Then they announced it was in organic brands. Sickly babies are put on organic milk..poor things tears

Sunflowers #354152 Feb 27th, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
..I let my DD know about the recall. She still has her cat we got for her when she was home back in 1996. He is sickly but he lives in a room with a dog that has mental issues & the 2 seem to be good for one another.

anyway she says that the food she is buying them--she only buys high end food--is safe. her two "Upstairs" animals are carefully fed as well...

Having said that---WHAT ??? Arsenic in ORGANIC BABY foods ?--- shock my gracious..I would have never thought. That is terrible..and scary !!!!! nervous

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,813
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image