Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#353864 Feb 20th, 2012 at 04:32 AM
Phreebo Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello everyone, what a great resource for us newbie vegetable gardeners!

I viewed this potato growing box and am getting ready to build and plant (seeds enroute). However, I notice lots of recommendations to not plant potatoes in the same location year after year...

As this will be a container, and I've no room to dump soil, what do you all recommend as a work around?

I've inserted a link of what I'll be making (or trying to make)

http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=2950295

Thanks for your guidance!!

Phreebo #353867 Feb 20th, 2012 at 06:01 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
That is a pretty cool set up and could work well.
The problem with planting the same plants in the same spots year after year is mostly critters and diseases. They will stay in a spot and ruin future crops. That is usually not a problem in containers because you use new clean potting mix and clean the container between plantings.
If you try to reuse soil, you will end up needing to add a lot of nutrients used up by the previous crop.
If you have no place to dump soil, I would suggest a handful or two at a time into your regular trash as you harvest the spuds. Or save it and try to sterilize it. You will still need to add lots of nutrients.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Phreebo #353884 Feb 20th, 2012 at 04:20 PM
Phreebo Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Tina! So, I can reuse the soil if I sterilize it? Would a simple 5% solution of bleach be ok to clean the inside of the container as well?

I've read placing stuff in a trash bag and letting it set sealed up kills weeds, might that also work for "sterilizing"?

Nice bird by the way. We've a cockatoo.

Phreebo #353895 Feb 21st, 2012 at 12:09 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
The bleach will be sufficient for the containers. The sealing in plastic may help with some of the possible soil problems. But not kill off the fungi that may be starting in there. Not all fungi are bad for soil. You could end up with a virtual mushroom farm. But also things that will harm your next crop.
Good luck!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image