Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#353886 Feb 20th, 2012 at 05:16 PM
Trost Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello there!

Long story short, my mom has MS, which is an incurable disease that effects a person's mobility, speech ability, and cognitive thinking. Too much heat and exercise will put her in a walker for a few days, make her extremely forgetful, slurred speech, and be in a continued state of discombobulation. This makes gardening very difficult for her, but she really wants to have a garden. I really don't want her to be held back by her disability. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Star Child
3k Posts
Star Child
3k Posts
Hmm, the first thing that gomes to mind is creating some raises beds for her, less up and down that way. also maybe look into container gardening then she can tackle just one container at a time ad it might be easier to not accidently over work herself.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
If you check out page two of this exact forum...you will find a lot of links that Merme(another member) has links for you to read from old posts.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
One year I grew container tomatoes and cucumbers. I ordered seeds and planted them in flower pots. They did great.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
clap

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
OH ouch, Trost, I have known a few people with MS, it can be so hard. But from what I understand, staying active is ohhh, so much better than being inactive. I agree with the posts so far! Container gardening and raised beds. In my greenhouse I have one bed that is 32" high. My DH thought I was crazy, but I figured if I could never get down on my knees again at least I could grow something! Care and LOVE is all we need in life,

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Trost Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh awesome! Thank you for all the suggestions! I think a raised bed is perfect along with some potted plants. I thought some hanging plants-like the upside-down tomato plants-would help a lot, too. I haven't done much research on it yet, though. Since I'm a beginner, I have a huge list of research I'm still working through. Haha.

Good luck with helping your mom garden and keep us posted!

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Trost Offline OP
OP Offline
We're going to make a raised bed at the end of the season. Right now, we're only doing vegetable and fruit garden and that's my own project. Haha. She likes working on the house plants for now. Though she does like to trim our bushes so we got a little stool on wheels. She can sit and scoot about without exerting herself.

Thank you again for all the help. =) I can already see my mom's confidence rebuilding.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image