Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi. I have the below pictured Philodendron (that's what it is, right?) and many of the leaves are turning brown and tearing. I water it weekly and it's getting indirect northeast light. It's usually 68-70 degrees in the room. There is new growth and new leaves that seem to be showing up occasionally and they seem healthy. Some people have told me to cut off all the damaged leaves, which seems like it would make the plant ugly. And, if I do that, how and where do I cut them so it doesn't leave jagged stalks sticking out everywhere?

I know I'm clueless with this plant, but any advice?

Thanks!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Do cut off the most damaged leaves as close to the base or stem as you can. The plant is wasting valuable energy trying to revive those. That will also encourage it to send out new replacement leaves that will cover any scars or stumps left. Also much healthier growth.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
I will do that, thanks! Is there anything I'm doing wrong that's causing the leaves to be damaged and discolored?

Watering every week may be too often. Philodendrons can be easy to overwater and that will definitely cause the leaves to turn brown. i suggest allowing the soil to become dry to about an inch down before watering it again and keep count of the days so you will know for next time as well. If the plant starts to droop, you've gone a bit to long, so water it a day or two earlier next time. i would also recommend not cutting off the damaged leaves completely (it will make the plant ugly indeed), but rather trimming the brown off. If a leaf is too far gone though, cut it back as Tina states above.

Also, how long has the Philodendron been in the same soil? It's best to replant with fresh soil every couple of years. Plants consume nutrients from the soil and over time will leave the soil itself drained. Miracle grow once a month will help extend the life of your soil a bit. When replanting make sure there is still plenty of room for the roots to grow, it may be necessary to use a larger pot as well as fresh soil.

Hope this helps, tony

tonye
OP Offline
That's all great info, Thanks!!!!!

Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Browning of tip margins may result from drafts, overwatering, poor drainage, lack of water or lack of fertilizer. Keep the soil moist, but not soggy. Never allow the potting mix to dry out. Ample water is one of the essential factors in keeping Philodendrons growing evenly with large uniform leaves. Philodendrons prefer high humidity, 60 percent or more, Make sure that all excess water drains. Overwatering causes root injury, which causes leaves to turn yellow and eventually fall off.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image