Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#351909 Jan 7th, 2012 at 05:04 AM
OP Offline
Hello everyone, new member here! I was asked to find an answer to a question from my dad, and I figured an online forum was the best place to look. I searched for this already, and found nothing. I'm sure it's somewhere on the boards, but there is way too much information for a noob like me to find my way...

Anyways, what are some techniques for keeping new trees from freezing in the winter? I live in Central Florida, so the winters aren't bad (low 30s at worst), but apparently some stuff was damaged at my dad's house this past cold front.

I know the technique of covering bushes and trees with blankets, but is there anything else?

nasolovesyou #351910 Jan 7th, 2012 at 06:30 AM
10k Posts
10k Posts

nasolovesyou #351925 Jan 8th, 2012 at 03:21 AM
OP Offline
Thanks a lot!

nasolovesyou #352124 Jan 12th, 2012 at 03:29 PM
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Frost can severely damage plant trees, in particular young trees and those best suited for warm climates. Farmers and home gardeners use a variety of techniques to protect trees from frost throughout the winter and ensure a bountiful harvest come spring. Keep the ground warm. The heat of the ground can be used to warm a fruit tree, and thus help prevent frost. To promote the transfer of heat from the ground to the tree, keep the soil around the base of the tree clear of mulch and weeds and well-hydrated. The heat of the ground can be used to warm a fruit trees, and thus help prevent frost. To promote the transfer of heat from the ground to the tree, keep the soil around the base of the tree clear of mulch and weeds and well-hydrated. During the spring, bottles of water can be placed around the base of a tree's trunk. The water will absorb the daytime warmth of the sun and heat the tree through the night.

Lighting can also be used to guard your trees from frost. To keep the trees extra warm during the winter, I have successfully protected plants with Christmas lights, using both miniature light strings and the larger socketed lamp variety. Light bulbs can be placed under protective coverings. The heat from the bulbs will warm the tree, and the blanket will keep the heat in the tree's branches. Wrapping holiday lights around tree limbs is another recommended technique for warming trees and protecting against frost.

nasolovesyou #352548 Jan 21st, 2012 at 01:10 AM
wrap the trunk in styrafoam or bubble wrap. You can also put bricks on the ground around the trunk and that will help hold the heat in.

Every plant started out as a seed ,and then came the waiting game.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image