Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#352506 Jan 20th, 2012 at 03:29 AM
OP Offline
Hello everybody,

I am a landscaper doing a home and garden show next month. We mainly build stone patios, much more on the construction side of landscaping, but it is a garden show and we need some flowers!

We already have some pansies lined up, now we need a few shrubs and a few small trees. I'm having a hard time finding a greenhouse that is set up to do this for me, so I'm thinking about doing it myself.

My question: Can I take some azealas and maybe a few pear trees that I buy from a nursery, put them indoors under flouresent lights, and get them to bloom early that way? Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

Bedazzle #352508 Jan 20th, 2012 at 04:16 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi and welcome Bedazzle.

Can you check with your local nurseries to see what they have available on hand? They could give you an idea on what will be available in bloom for you next month in time for your show.

I have never heard of forcing trees or shrubs to bloom with lights...hoping someone else is along soon to help you out. I know you can force the branches themselves to bloom but they are cut from the tree or shrub.

What zone are you in? Seems early for a garden show in February.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Bedazzle #352514 Jan 20th, 2012 at 06:48 AM
OP Offline
Thanks. I'm in zone six.

I just came back from a nursery. Once I unload my truck, I'll be putting some rhododendrons and one magnolia into my basement. I'll have them under one flouresent lamp and also one UV bulb, I'll keep the temperature above 65 farenhiet and keep it well ventilated. In the past I've had someone with a greenhouse help me.

Yes, February is a little early for a garden show. I don't make the rules.

Bedazzle #352538 Jan 20th, 2012 at 03:17 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
actually they have them in winter here a lot--but they are "home and garden" shows---I think here, the "garden" part of it is just to add a little "wow" factor to all the home stuff. Plus it gives people ideas so they can begin with their spring planting on time. why

Bedazzle, good luck

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image