Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#352339 Jan 17th, 2012 at 02:59 AM
tonye Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi, i planted tulip bulbs for the first time last fall. We've had a VERY mild winter (Indiana) and the tulips are popping up already. i'm afraid they will start to bloom then cold weather will finally arrive and kill the blooms before they really get started. Is there anything that can be done? Thanks so much, tony

tonye
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Hi tonye - welcome to the gardenhelper!

Don't worry - my tulips, hyacinths, and daffodils were all up about an inch last week when we were also having unusually warm winter weather. Today we have rain and snow and it looks like winter has finally arrived.

My experience with these bulbs growing prematurely, is that they die back down, and the cold weather keeps them from flowering before they should. Each year they bloom on time, with full blooms.

Good luck!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Same here, my tulips and daffy's get snowed on and still bloom later.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
10k Posts
10k Posts

Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
In the winter, what kills hardy plants and bulbs more often, not the ice but the cold itself. Make sure that the drainage in the container is excellent and the water from melting snow or from routine watering does not get trapped in the container to freeze will help keep you tulip bulbs alive over the winter.

While your tulips are growing and blooming during the spring, they will be storing energy to help them survive the winter. The more energy you can help them store, the more likely they are to survive. In containers, the bulbs will not have as much opportunity to seek out nutrients. You will be their only source to make sure they have enough.

While your tulip bulbs will not need much water over the winter, they will need some. If your tulip bulbs are stored in a place where they will get snowed on (and then watered by melting snow) or there has been a lack of precipitation over the winter, you will need to occasionally water your tulip bulbs in containers. If you need to provide water, about once a month, water the container. In the winter, tulip bulbs do not need to be fertilizer. Hold off on fertilizing until the early spring when you put the container back outside so that the tulips can grow.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image