Print Thread
Rate Thread
#352260 Jan 16th, 2012 at 01:51 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I know it is early, but i was thinking about my garden --never too early to plan after all---

As I have stated, I recieved 2 raied veggie bed containers for Christmas. (you know, the oens that are on 18 inch legs--looks a bit like a table??? I was wondering just what I could plant in them that I would have success with. Now I know I can plant lettuces & green onions (I am so happy to be able to do this--as I could never get to my garden early enough to plant these before here) But after that I am at a loss.

I know that herbs will grow in the raised beds, but will they over winter in the raised areas??--I have some chives that I was able to bring with me from "the farm" & I am sorta partial to them. I guess I could plant others every year if necessary

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
How deep is the soil in the beds, Carol?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #352287 Jan 16th, 2012 at 04:33 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
well tina--I tried to look online but every site jsut wants to sell them not give information.

I opened the box but it must have been packed in China or some such---The directions are just a diagram---and a poor one at that--clearly I should have let Rod put these together when he was off for Christmas as he wanted to. Then I would know for sure egad

the dimentions are 34 x 30.5 x 18 so I am assuming that is the box size not how high it is off of teh ground?? and if so I will say the boxes are 18 inches deep ???

I was going to remove a piece from the box, but it is packed so tight I do not think I could get it back in.
Could you answer me if we assume the dimentions were the box size ?

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
See, what you can grow in 6 inch deep soil and in 18 inch deep soil is completely different. You can grow carrots in both but you need to stick to the short, stubby ones in the shallower soil. If I were growing container tomatoes, I would stick to each in their own larger pot. They take some requirements that would mess up companion crops in the raised box. Same with cukes, melons, etc.
I'd like strawberries in a raised bed like you have. It would help keep the scavenging critters away. Would be easy to tent with a net, etc. Some kinds can winter over.
I think your chives would also winter well. But only divide and try some of them so as not to lose your heirlooms.
Here is a list from one of my favorite books;
http://www.sunset.com/garden/fruits-veggies/best-crops-for-pots-00400000012139/
Most of these will take at least 18 inch deep soil.
Then there are salad greens, etc.
What do you want to grow?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #352292 Jan 16th, 2012 at 06:24 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
thanks for the information & the link to books---reading is something I can do now---

and yes I understand about the soil depth thing--& that is why the questions---I guess for now I will read & tonight tell my husbanmd that he can put together my boxes at his leasure--when one is built I will come back here & we can talk again.

I am thinking that will need a small regular garden for my asparagus (& perhaps a blackberry plant or 2) anyway, so I can always put my chives next to them-it is where they were before and that seemed to work ok-----

what I "want" to grow ?? herbs, asparagus, lettuces, spinach, tomatoes & possibly a few potatos. BUT I can alwaya put my potatoes and tomatoes in large containers--- but if I have the room I am open to any number of things--veggies are on my CAN eat list-- bop

I have never had much luck with carrots--so no on them

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
The link I sent was to a magazine article about container gardening. It just happens to be a favorite of mine.
I think asparagus is best grown in the ground where it won't be disturbed for years.
Carrots are usually so reasonably priced in the stores that I have never bothered either. But I've always wanted to grow the thumbelina ones that are short and round like radishes. Just for the novelty factor. I also want to try potatoes in a trash bag someday.
Herbs, lettuces and spinach should do well in your planters.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #352320 Jan 16th, 2012 at 01:55 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yes I want to try the plan where you have like a few inches of dirt & you plant a potato & when it comes up you cover it again until it comes up again & you cover it again--& go on & on--I think that sounds like fun. I think I will use a storage container.. shots

again thanks so much

________

I am new but will post any way because this thread interests me.
I use mainly raised beds to save space in my regular old fashioned in ground garden. I have a small garden spot that is 20ft wide X 40ft long so I have to save space I use tractor tires and implement tires for beds down one side of the garden. These are next to the chain link fence cherry tomatoes love the fence. Strawberries, radishes , spaghetti squash,eggplant and poke do well in tires. I have 2 wood raised beds on the front for salad greens that do well.
Ever thing else goes in the 20X40 garden. None of my beds are more than about 8 to 10 inches deep. I always have plenty to can and share.

Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Raised bed vegetable gardening is great for small gardens and maintenance is not too difficult a task. If you choose to go with raised vegetable beds that sit directly on your garden soil, you can use hardware cloth or chicken wire to line the beds. This helps keep them safe from moles, voles and gophers. You can use brick, stone, cinder-block or any material you want really to build the base of the bed.

All vegetables can be grown in raised beds but some are far more suitable compared to others. Avoid tall vegetable plants such as climbers and also plants which need support.Root vegetables such as carrots, parsnips and turnips are ideal for raised beds, just make sure the bed is deep enough for the roots. growing carrots in raised beds will banish forked roots forever. That, combined with easy protection from carrot fly, makes growing carrots much easier.

Last edited by Bill; Jan 16th, 2012 at 11:25 PM. Reason: removed link to hydroponic site
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
Carol, do you eat a lot of strawberries? How about lettuce? I have a sort of raised bed where I plant lettuce in the spring and in your temps you might be able to reseed for longer than me since lettuce likes cool weather. I asked about the strawberries because I took up a lot of space planting them and we don't even eat that many and I don't freeze them so the animals eat most of them.

Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
well I like strawberries but With the beds being raised off of the ground & do not think they would over-winter here very well. But I could always try a few plants & see what they do, HUH ???

I plan on planting lettuces and of course spinach and I am really looking forward to doing so--I have not been able to plant them since I moved here, because of my low garden area---

With the beds being off of the ground, I should be able to start planting earlier--gee I wish my dad were still alive--he knew so much about gardening... badday

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I had strawberries winter over in Rochester NY under over a yard of snow and ice. They were under a light coating of pine needles. In the spring, I only pulled back the needles a little from the crown of the plants. So I know some kinds can winter over. They are planting new berry plants here in the fields right now because they are frost hearty.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #352389 Jan 17th, 2012 at 04:12 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
interesting, Tina, thanks.

________

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,869
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image