Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
My rose gets 5 petaled pink/white flowers twice a year. This Fall the flowers bloomed, and they all look like double petaled roses, certainly not 5 petals anymore! This is not side shoots that sprouted this year, this the same canes i've had for years and cut back each Winter. This is the first time this has happened and i've had this plant for 6 + years of blooming.

The only thing I did different was try to cross pollinate this rose plant with multiflora rose pollen. I am not sure in response to new pollen if that can cause changes in developing flowers?

Anyway the top picture is from the Summer, the bottom if from now.
[img]http://lh6.ggpht.com/BzpSAZNLMJpFeS...DSxuzivWGrKAD0VyuIRwsx-mlZSAo9ANdwXRaQeN[/img]
[img]http://lh6.ggpht.com/b59_XQ4yvM3Sfh...pXMa7mfi7NYMyC7tpFWFSRLYKfxW7-cGb8=s1200[/img]

Last edited by KeithP; Sep 16th, 2011 at 06:33 AM.
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
I guess this is something nobody heard of going by the lack of replies.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I have had many plants alter for unknown reasons. I just did not have an answer for you as to why your rose did. But I actually like the change. I was hoping a more knowledgeable person might answer.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Take your pick
Some reversion in dna to a parent plant.
Also sometimes weather change triggers this(different heat/lighting) conditions.
Spontaneous mutation
Some herbicide type damage also may cause chimera (mutation).
Growth below a graft
radiation spike from the sun/other source

One of my tropical hibiscus blooms double peach color. Every so often it puts out a single darker flower. This part goes back to double later

I took a cutting off the limb with the darker color single flower, rooted it, and it grew into another different looking hibiscus. (A sport)

Just a lot of different reasons. It may or may not revert back to original next year. The 2nd blooming looks nice though.

Last edited by twizzlestick; Oct 21st, 2011 at 05:52 PM.
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
I was reading, this might be called a Sport, when the plant sends up a shoot and the flowers are different than the originals. This is also how new rise varieties come to be.

500 Posts
500 Posts
How old is the plant? Was it fertilized? Better "nutrition" can also change flowering results as can the age of the plant. The flowers didn't change color, just the number of petals.

Last edited by mich168; Jan 15th, 2012 at 08:57 AM.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Nothing that is observed is unaffected by the observer.
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
They require minimal maintenance. With just a little effort, you can have glorious blooms all season long. You should prune canes once leaf buds appear in the spring to stimulate plant growth. Cut each cane back by half. Use sharp scissors or clippers. Fertilize roses each spring once new growth appears. Use a rose-specific fertilizer and follow label directions carefully. rose fertilizer is available as a liquid concentrate and as pellets. Liquid concentrate is mixed with water and poured at the base of the plant. Pellet form fertilizer is shaken on the soil around the plant. Either application is effective; pellets are applied less often than the liquid concentrate. Work shredded leaves, compost or other organic material into the ground around the rose bush. Do not disturb the plant's roots. Shovel a 1- to 3-inch layer of mulch on top of the soil surrounding the rose; this helps the plant retain moisture and limits weed growth. Avoid laying mulch up against the base of plant as that could cause stem rot.

Water plant once or twice a week, supplementing the natural rainfall. Water deeply and aim for the base of the plant. roses require 4-5 gallons of water per week during the growing season. Shallow watering may cause the development of weak roots. Prune the rose bush as flowers finish blooming. This will stimulate new growth. Once a flower is done blooming, cut back that cane. Perform the cut with sharp scissors or clippers and aim for a spot directly above a leaf bud. New growth will appear just below the cut.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,856
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image