Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#343797 May 2nd, 2011 at 01:28 AM
OP Offline
So the last few years my bell peppers haven't done the greatest. They still produce fruits that mature and taste good, but the plants seem to be stunted. I came across this link today and was wondering if anyone here stakes/cages their peppers? Look forward to hearing your advice!

http://www.burpee.com/gardening-sup...od001784.html?catId=2320&trail=#null

Lukkyseven #351659 Jan 1st, 2012 at 01:15 PM
I know this question was posted, well last year, and I am such a newbie I almost hate to reply, but this past summer was the first with a green house and my pepper plants did get so much bigger that I staked them, as by the time they got so bit it would have been hard to put them in a cage. But I like the web page I went to from your quiery and am going to look into getting some cages for my peppers,
Happy Crunching

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
fabrictodyefor #351666 Jan 1st, 2012 at 01:29 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Certainly no harm in that .....
cagey........

Or put up fencing on 2 sides in a row.............

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Lukkyseven #351673 Jan 1st, 2012 at 05:13 PM
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Using pepper cages or stakes will allow your pepper plants to produce high quality and high quantities of fruit. Without the support of cages or stakes, you may be risking your entire pepper crop. Many growers do stake or cage their peppers, especially when they're heavy with fruit. pepper stakes are a good option to support your pepper plants. They can be made of metal or wood. Stakes should be driven into the ground 3-4 inches to the side of the plant. One stake is used per plant. The plant is secured to the stake using an elastic type material that will flex as the plant grows. Old nylons or thin bungee cords work nicely. If you use rope or wire ties, they will probably choke off or sever the stem as the plant grows. Add additional ties for every foot in height the plant grows. If you use wood stakes, make sure they are 1 inch in diameter and 4 feet long. Avoid using chemically treated wood. Drive the stake one foot into the ground to ensure it won't blow over. If you choose to use metal stakes, concrete rebar works well. Again, drive the stakes one foot into the ground to be sure they will support the weight of the plant and won't blow over in high winds.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image