Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#351646 Jan 1st, 2012 at 12:49 PM
OP Offline
We have a wonderful, very large blue spruce in our yard. The lower branches are trimmed to about 5 1/2 feet from the ground. 15 years ago I had surrounded the trees with landscaping bricks and now with the trimmed branches I was thinking about blueberries. I have yet to test the soil, but I am sure it is acidic...my condern is sunlight. Under the tree it probably only gets 5 hours of sun a day. Is there a variety that does ok is less sunlight? If not, any other suggestions for planing a companion to my blue spruce,
Thanks

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hey Mr Bill answer that one.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Maybe try a 'low bush' variety...I do know blueberries need lots of sunlight. Also you might need to water more often, it will be dry under your tree.

Someone will be along shortly to give you more advice.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
OP Offline
thanks, I also have to keep in mind I am a zone 3 which limits my possibilites!

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
So, Dodge, where would I find "Mr. Bill's" answere to my quiery?

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Mr Bill needs to find you ..............

He is probably doin KNome stuff , but if he sees you . He will reply..Patient boy.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
10k Posts
10k Posts
I am pretty sure that it would be way too dry to grow Blueberries under your Spruce.
Blueberries can take a little shade, but produce much better when they are in full sun all day.
Also... I would guess that the soil is fairly depleted under a tree that large, and Blueberries like it rich and peaty...

How about planting some Oregon Grapes under your Spruce? I think they would grow well there, with minimal work.

Bill #351679 Jan 2nd, 2012 at 02:04 AM
OP Offline
thanks for the thoughts, Bill, maybe not blueberries, but it looks like the oregon grapes are rated only down to a zone 5. I'm often lucky to get zone 3 flowers to winter over even after being mulched, a zone 5 would never make it! Any other ideas?

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
10k Posts
10k Posts
Check out some of the plant directories like Perennials for Part Shade and scroll down the zone column to see plants that might work well for you.

This page will show you other directories you can check out... like full shade plants, ground covers, vines etc

Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Blueberries can grow successfully in zone 3. Choose a variety of blueberry bush that grows well in zone 3, such as blue ray, blue crop, patriot or spartan, which can survive in the colder winters of the zone. Blueberries take only a little care after they establish themselves in the soil. Blueberries like soil that is a little more acidic than most plants, typically from 4.5 to 4.9. Plant more than one blueberry bush for best results, as most varieties of blueberries need a companion for cross-pollination. Plant your blueberry bushes in your yard that is in full sun (as you have mentioned they can receive 5 hours of sunlight) and with well-drained soil. But make sure they receive full sun for atleast 5 hrs, if you can provide them more then its well and good.

Bill #351735 Jan 3rd, 2012 at 10:52 AM
OP Offline
I was flipping through one of the many seed catalogs I have received in the mail recently and came across "Jostaberry". According to Gurnsey's it does well in part shade and is rated at a zone 3. I could not find anything about this berry on your web site...what do you think????

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I`d buy one and give it a try...

I read up on it..apparently it's like a blackberry/currant mixture.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by tamara
I`d buy one and give it a try...

I read up on it..apparently it's like a blackberry/currant mixture.

hey that sounds like a good berry--- thumbup

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Rubus nidigrolaria (Jostaberry) is a cross between the Black Currant and Gooseberry, but is more vigorous than either parent. It looks just like a gooseberry until it turns nearly black and ripens. The flavor is more like a Black Currant, although slightly milder, but berry size is larger. Jostaberries contain more vitamin C than gooseberries and are excellent for eating fresh or as jam, juice, wine, and in cordials.

Their ideal site is in full sun, but the effect of partial shade does them little harm. Avoid frost-pockets, their flowers can be damaged by a late frost which will of course result in a lower yield of fruit. Their ideal soil is a rich well-drained soil which will not dry out. They prefer a slightly acidic soil - around pH 6 to 6.5. They will grow well however on most normal soils. Watering, weed prevention and pruning are the key requirements for Jostaberries. They will appreciate watering when conditions are dry and especially when the fruits are forming. Keep the weeds at bay to prevent competition for moisture.

#351943 Jan 8th, 2012 at 11:16 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the info. I have decided to try the josta berry. It may be a while, but I'll let everyone know how it goes!

Bobbie

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image