Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#203596 Apr 22nd, 2008 at 10:14 AM
OP Offline
Hi, I'm new to this site, but I'm really excited by everything I've seen so far. My question is, how big a pot do I need to plant peppers, and can I plant other things with them? I've been told tomatoes do well with Basil and Parsley, so I was planning on putting them in 5-gallon containers, but I've been having trouble finding info on peppers (sweet bell specifically). Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

Illana
Bristol, CT

fyrechild #204012 Apr 23rd, 2008 at 06:57 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i use 3-5 gallon buckets that i get from restaurants and poke holes in the bottom with my drill or dremel.

fyrechild #333929 Oct 29th, 2010 at 02:59 PM
We have a raised bed, using an old truck cab that my brother left in the backyard. Works great, and we can even 'open the windows' and allow air to get under the roots!

fyrechild #333934 Oct 29th, 2010 at 04:04 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
peppers require quite a bit of heat to germinate. Around 80 degrees so if you have the seed heating mats that would be good. Otherwise a room where you can keep the temperatures around 80. Plant the seed about 3 times the length of the seed deep. Use starting or potting soi. Keep the soil moist like a wrung out sponge until they sprout. Florescent lighting placed about 6 to 12 inches from the plants once they spout should keep them from becomming leggy. A 20% solution of Hydrogen Proxide in the water will help with damp off disease. Good luck with growing peppers inside.

[Linked Image]
fyrechild #350244 Nov 28th, 2011 at 11:58 AM
i just dig up my Jalapeno plants in the fall, put them in a 3 gallon bucket, and put them in the sun room. At first they dont look to good but after a while they will perk up ,and i fertilize them bout every three weeks. Im sure the same would pertaine to pepper started indoors.

Every plant started out as a seed ,and then came the waiting game.
fyrechild #350695 Dec 12th, 2011 at 03:39 PM
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
It's not so much a problem with the pot being too big, but rather don't go choosing one too small. Although many peppers don't grow to more than 20" tall, they still need enough room for their roots to spread out. For the smaller peppers (under 12" tall), you'll need a 2 gallon container. For the larger pepper plants, a 5 gallon or even 10 gallon container will give the peppers plenty of room to grow. Your container needs to have drainage holes, so excess water has a way to escape. Along with pepper you can grow bean, carrot, marigold, marjoram, onion family, tansy and tomatoes.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image