Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#349950 Nov 19th, 2011 at 09:19 AM
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a few special rose seeds I want to grow, but without a greenhouse, I don't want to risk putting them out all winter, animals or bad weather could destroy the pots or spill all the seeds.

Last year I picked and cleaned rose seeds, kept them dry in my fridge, and come spring after frost planted them outside. Not one seed sprouted, and I waited 3 months nothing sprouted.

How can I grow (or start seeds) indoors?

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I went looking for a clue. I found a similar forum question here .
The only time I have had them grow from seed is when the seed dropped and wintered over, cold stratification.
I would give them time, a few weeks, in the fridge before beginning them in pots. And when potting I would cover with clear plastic (like a dry cleaner bag held away from the soil surface with pencils or chop sticks, etc.) to keep the soil evenly moist and then neglect them pretty much. Checking occasionally for moisture. Then a long wait.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
Thats basically what I did (minus the plastic) and I had no luck. My pots were under a tree so more shade, but they got some sunlight and I always made sure the soil was moist but not soaking wet.

Perhaps keeping them in the fridge for a few months still wasn't enough?

10k Posts
10k Posts
Per Park seeds: rose seeds benefit from 6-12 weeks of stratification at 40° (refrigerator)
Germination takes 21-25 days

KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
Can they be dry, or do they have to be wrapped in a wet paper towel?

Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
growing roses from seed is certainly not the fastest method of propagating roses, but I can assure you it really is the most rewarding. However, rose hybridizing is surely a lesson in patience, since your success rate can be very small, and it may take several years to reap your rewards.

Sow the seed directly into pots or a large 10x20” flat filled with soil. The soil in the flat should be a sterilized artificial soil. If you’ve had the open bag around for a while, pour a kettle of boiling water slowly over the flat of soil to sterilize it and kill of any fungal problems.

The seed need only be barely covered and not planted very deeply. Firm the soil down after you’ve planted the flat so that the covering soil is in contact with the seed. It is important to keep the seed damp. Cover the seed flat with door screening and secure it firmly. The door screening will be necessary to protect the seed from mice and ants.

The seed will germinate over two years and you can remove the seedlings when they have reached 4-6 true leaves, transplant them into pots for growing on and transplant into the garden when large enough. http://bit.ly/rWtsus this link will give you more info about growing worlds most beautiful roses in your garden

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image