5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
Here is the results of my soil test:
pH: Neutral 7.0
Nitrogen: Very Low
Phosphorous: Medium to High
Potash: Very Low

Please keep in mind that 6-7 weeks ago I added 1 yr old manure-goat and chicken-to this garden. 1 full-size truck to a 20x15 area.

Obviously, I need to pull up that nitrogen but how is the potash? Does there need to be a lot in the soil? I was thinking that I could add a little bit of ashes to improve potash, if necessary. Can I have too much phosphorous?

This is for my veggie bed, I grow lots of tomatoes, peppers, and cucurbits. This year I will be adding okra, at least, that's the plan.

Also, I do have a nice sized compost pile going but it isn't going to be ready for a loooonnnnnggg time.

Thanks!!

Last edited by LandOfOz; Apr 11th, 2007 at 05:23 PM.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #20355 Apr 12th, 2007 at 01:40 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts

Here's a good place to start.

http://www.sgaonline.org.au/info_natural_soil_improvers.html

I'd reckon the fish emulsion is looking the goods at a glance.

The secret is the soil.
Longy #22246 Apr 13th, 2007 at 09:47 PM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
Thanks for the site, Longy. I have discovered my problem. Yeah, I just had to look and there it was: straw. Lots of it, just sitting there in my soil, sucking up all the available nitrogen. Best part, hubby tilled it all in, so I'm not going to be able to rake it out. ARG! How long does it take for straw to break down? Supposedly it's been sitting in a pile of goat/chicken poo for a year now... Sheesh. I've got another 2 weeks, probably, before I can plant anything out. Too bad it won't be gone by then.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #22275 Apr 14th, 2007 at 04:26 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Well another year and you'll be in great shape. Any chance you could start a new bed for this year and just use some of that garden soil that I've seen advertised?

[Linked Image]
LandOfOz #22578 Apr 14th, 2007 at 03:32 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Originally Posted by LandOfOz
Thanks for the site, Longy. I have discovered my problem. Yeah, I just had to look and there it was: straw. Lots of it, just sitting there in my soil, sucking up all the available nitrogen. Best part, hubby tilled it all in, so I'm not going to be able to rake it out. ARG! How long does it take for straw to break down? Supposedly it's been sitting in a pile of goat/chicken poo for a year now... Sheesh. I've got another 2 weeks, probably, before I can plant anything out. Too bad it won't be gone by then.

Well, you still just need to get some nitrogen into the soil. Pelletised Chicken manure will do this. Put lots in, a handful to a square yard or so. Potash can be added by putting in sulphate of potash. Plant a week later. No probs! The straw will break down quite quickly if it's tilled in. Esp if there is plenty of moisture.

Last edited by Longy; Apr 14th, 2007 at 03:33 PM.

The secret is the soil.
Longy #22586 Apr 14th, 2007 at 03:50 PM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
Moisture, I've got. It's rained for 2 weeks straight, then a week of snowy weather, and everything is extremely wet. I'm so glad to hear that this has a relatively quick fix. Thanks so much!!

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #30770 Apr 25th, 2007 at 09:18 AM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
All I could find was composted chicken manure. So I used a 50 lb bag for 2 rows, 15 feet long. I also worked in some muriate of potash, or something like that. The lady swore up and down it's organic, I kept thinking, "yeah but that's not what longy said to get!" I then watered very well with some fish emulsion. I can definitely tell where I put the stuff, the dirt looks darker and there is a lot less straw poking out of the soil.

Do you think it would be too lazy of me to just buy a few more bags and make some big mounds of them, on top of the low-nitro soil, and plant my cukes, melons, etc in them and then plant something like clover on the open dirt? OR I have a friend whose got fresh duck and goose poo that I could add but how dangerous is that? Do they have the super-high nitro that chicken manure does? Could I let it sit a week or two and then be ready to plant? Sooo many questions, I'm sorry!

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #33191 Apr 28th, 2007 at 07:09 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
you will have to compost the duck and goose poo. but it is just as good as the chicken poo. i'd get all i could, pile it up in a corner, and let it go!

it won't be ready in a week or two, you'd have to use the composted stuff for this year, but next year, you'll be in good shape!

#34943 Apr 30th, 2007 at 07:02 PM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
Thanks, Jiffy! I'll probably just toss it on my compost pile, it's got a lot of whole leaves in it which are taking their sweet time breaking down, and are also repelling the water. Not that I'm surprised by this, just annoyed. Maybe high-nitro source will break them down a little bit.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #34989 Apr 30th, 2007 at 08:11 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
the poo will help break the leaves down faster. bird poo gets pretty hot.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image